• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Guest passes - BIGGEST MISTAKE!

Most people I know have had enough of being ordered around by the time they get home and get on the computer and are not interested in listening to someone they don't even know order them around.

Its kind of funny but I don't see any reason you all feel you have the right to yell and order people around the way you do. yes we need someone issuing orders but this is a game and if people don't follow them thats just how it is.
-Sabu

Sabu,

I'm not in a clan and I played on public servers. This game is challenging with all the realistic sim aspects. Unfortunately I don't feel the game is balanced for the experienced "elite" player and the average player to make it enjoyable.

RO requires teamwork, awareness, and plyrs doing their "job" at whatever role they have. It only takes 1 or 2 key roles...sqd ldr, the clueless tank driver of the only tank on the map, the oblivious sapper...to bring the whole gameplay to a grinding frustrating halt.

I've uninstalled the game out of frustration from the gameplay. For me its just not fun to play a teamwork based war sim with a bunch of ppl running around playing willy nilly. Teamwork should be encouraged...

Upvote 0
Sabu,

I'm not in a clan and I played on public servers. This game is challenging with all the realistic sim aspects. Unfortunately I don't feel the game is balanced for the experienced "elite" player and the average player to make it enjoyable.

RO requires teamwork, awareness, and plyrs doing their "job" at whatever role they have. It only takes 1 or 2 key roles...sqd ldr, the clueless tank driver of the only tank on the map, the oblivious sapper...to bring the whole gameplay to a grinding frustrating halt.

I've uninstalled the game out of frustration from the gameplay. For me its just not fun to play a teamwork based war sim with a bunch of ppl running around playing willy nilly. Teamwork should be encouraged...
Then perhaps you should consider joining a clan if you want full teamwork. Otherwise, it's foolish to complain about the lack of it in public servers.

Upvote 0
You could also start talking on VOIP, being reasonable and telling people in your immediate surroundings.

See who responds positively, build up a posse, and there you go. Teamwork on a pub server, and its devastating! No clans or commitment required.

Of course, it usually requires you to take the lead. If you want teamwork, go out and make it, don't wait for it.

I don't do this that often, because generally I play with friends so already have people. However, I've done it, and seen it enough, to know that it will often work (if you have a headset.)

Not having a headset in an FPS in this day and age (or any Computer online game) is just being behind the times.

Upvote 0
Sabu,

RO does have a sharp learning curve I will agree. But to say that teamwork is not encouraged is wrong. Teamwork is encouraged however barking orders at someone and getting angry that they don't want to do what you say is not an action I view as good teamwork. If you want a 2nd job form a clan, I assure you that it will soon seem like a 2nd job for you. I'm sorry but I just do not understand how you feel that you all have the right to tell people how to play a game. If someone asks something fine but to just bark orders and expect them followed I just don't see how you really expect that from other players... I mean put yourself in their shoes you get in the map and some Rude jerk starts yelling at them to go here or there. I would not find that fun. I'm going to have fun and enjoy myself not put up with some punk yelling orders. I think this would not be as big an issue if people would talk to each other without the constant rudeness however I'm back to the point I cant force people to do that let alone work as a team it is just something you need to deal with in a public game. No matter how loud you yell people are going to do what that want, sometimes they will follow sometimes they will blaze their own trail thats just how it is.

-Sabu

Upvote 0
But to say that teamwork is not encouraged is wrong. Teamwork is encouraged however barking orders at someone and getting angry that they don't want to do what you say is not an action I view as good teamwork.

If you want a 2nd job form a clan, I assure you that it will soon seem like a 2nd job for you. I'm sorry but I just do not understand how you feel that you all have the right to tell people how to play a game.
-Sabu

Hi Zips and Sabu,
thanks for the replies. In all fairness, I never said teamwork is not encouraged...I said it should be encouraged. Nor did I condone being rude to ppl or screaming at them telling them how to play.

I am an average gamer, I have never been in a clan and don't really know what that entails. Zips, you tell me that I should join a clan or don't complain about team gameplay...Sabu you referenced joining a clan as a second job which I assume entails work.

So seriously where does this leave the average gamer that wants to enjoy RO at a good quality level of gameplay? If it requires joining a clan, doesn't that really say something about the state of RO?

The main point I was trying to make is i think RO could and should be better balanced to appeal to both the harcore and average gamer. Perhaps then ppl wouldn't be freaking out on other players telling them how to play...and the new folks could have a more pleasant experience and adjust to the learning curve.

RO has tremendous potential. Currently it seems that it is very seldom realized on the public servers...which ultimately will turn off both experienced and newbies alike. Just my thoughts...thanks for listening.

Upvote 0
Your best bet is to join a gaming community, or start playing regularly on one or two servers. Pretty soon you and the other regulars will become familiar and then you won't mind working together.

When enough regulars hang out at a place, the teamwork just kinda...happens after a while. This is the case at WOLF gaming, although WOLF doesn't have much of an RO community (more into FH).

Seriously, though, that's your best bet if you don't want a clan experience but do want good teamplay. Find a server that seems frequented by reasonably savvy people, and confine your gameplay to that place. Then accept that when you set foot outside of that environment, it's pretty much "all bets are off."

You can find good teamplay in pickup games, but it's often hit-or-miss. I've been on servers where people just...don't....get.....the concept of staying/getting in the cap zone. It's frustrating, but it does happen. But I've also been on servers where maybe two or three people started coordinating, and other folks followed suit. When that happens, the game is an absolute blast.

I don't think the game itself CAN be any better balanced between hardcore and newbie/casual. It is what it is at this point. Much of it has to do with map design, but even then, the game can't force or disallow more or less teamwork. That's got to come purely from the players and, when you're in a pickup game, sometimes folks want to and sometimes folks done. That's why I say your best bet is finding a good gaming community where you become a regular and where there are other regulars.

Upvote 0
As a tank newb, I always try and take the MG position. That way I can enjoy the ride and stay out of the more experienced player's way. Im always careful to be mindful of when the driver/commander are trying to lay an ambush and not fire the mg aswell.

I've never been asked to get out of a tank and very often the driver/commander is polite and lets me have a go at doing one of those roles.

I've found that if you show respect and a willingness to learn - and not just take off in a precious Panther only to be blown up within 30 seconds, the vets aren't too stingy and are willing to share their knowledge. :rolleyes:

Good. This is how i mean "noobs" or beginners (to use a nicer word) should act when new to the game. Cos what he states: ...take off in a precious Panther only to be blown within 30 seconds....
No reason for ruining the game.

Upvote 0
It's simply a case of courtesy more than anything, other players are more likely to accept the new guys if they are willing to cooperate and learn from the players around them. When players grab a tank/class without any idea as to how to use them it can be somewhat annoying, but they have to learn somewhere, it's when they hop in your tank and just drive it straight at the enemy getting both of you killed that I find myself most annoyed. This seems to happen quite often, now don't get me wrong, I don't mind crewing a tank with others but I do actually want to survive the experience! Driving directly at the enemy and in the open? Not the best way. ;)

Upvote 0
Well I can see some of the points that will anger veteran RO players , but after playing this game on and off since it came out , and a bit of the Unreal mod. I can see why it would. Yet Guest passes in my view have such potential in making a bigger community. I have such a person who I know who originally introduced me to the mod back in the early days, and he unfortunately hasn't had a chance to buy it. So he'll now have a chance to see how great it is.
I know others may have already said this but i thought id share my view on it.
I hate the word 'noob' though. I don't think it needs to be used as much as I see it being used when players rush to conclusions. people make mistakes end of. See if they say sorry for that mistake and then take action. I also think that using such language puts the new players off , It might make them work harder on correcting the issue or put them off playing, because they may feel unwelcome to the community of players.
But maybe I am not making much sense. Well its nearly 4am here .

Night all, and I looking forward too seeing you in the field of battle later today. :)

Upvote 0
Through the use of guest passes, I've met quite a few really interesting, intelligent and mature noobs. I call them noobs because they would be the first to admit the fact in good natured way. Most have been quite upfront about their newness to the game. They ask intelligent questions, offer to give up classes when the team needs someone better, ask people to tank with them and show them the ropes, etc. For the most part, I have been pleasantly surprised. The more proficient players have been forthcoming in helping these "noobs" to become veterans. Not surprisingly, my play time is later evening. I'm sure that may account for some of it.

As per the teamwork, often it only takes a little VOIP interaction. "Two enemy infantry in the trees on the left flank." "ROPlayer, watch out for the MG around the corner." "The middle is open. Need help at the trench." Short, factual, pertinent and informative phrases are all that is required. Often there will be two or three others that join in and in no time your whole team has a good picture of the battlefield. They begin to act as a unit and become a team.

Sometimes there just is no cohesiveness, but then thats life. If every game played out the same way, it would surely get dull and boring.

Floyd

Upvote 0
I agree up to a certain point Sabu. There is a point where you like to see teamwork being done in order to win a battle. I get a little frustrated when I see SL not using smoke grenades to cover the troops or not using artillery to help his team. When a satchel is required to blow a fence or objective for the team to proceed and CEs are no where to be found or "doing their own thing." Grant it, there are a number of maps that are geared around deathmatch tactics and so little teamwork is required. But a number of maps do require teamwork to use strategies and win. Just look at some of the map threads as tactics are something that comes up.

No one wants to be told how to play a game. But it does get old when you announce an arty attack in advance to team and get kicked from server cause 4 guys didn't want to clear out, or one guy rides off with the last transport, when asked to come and pick you up. you get "Go **** yourself."

Edit: That was my reply to Sabu's first post. No one would condone yelling and barking orders. That's a given. Big difference from trying to work as a team and yelling at people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
... I am an average gamer, I have never been in a clan and don't really know what that entails. Zips, you tell me that I should join a clan or don't complain about team gameplay...Sabu you referenced joining a clan as a second job which I assume entails work.....

it would be 2nd job only if you would like to start new clan or run already working one...

look playing in clan means that sometimes you will not go to play to some random public server but you will go to locked private with bunch of other players connected via teamspeak, prepared for few maps, each map played once as alies and once as axis. And expecting that opponent is also prepared for these maps and also probably with some tactics... and than it is up to each team how much effort puts into preparation for such game... after such games you will go relax to public withou any care about teamwork there

this is IMO realy simple basic - no single team in RO is professional - all play for fun even those best. So just look for some team, many teams still loking for new players and find some that will suit you well.

Realy it is important to accept fact that public game cannot be demanded for high level teamplay. It is too random what players join and what they do - in whole spectrum from intentional TK, random picked guns, new ROplayers to skilled players expecting some teamplay - than it is time to look for clan play imo. because otherwise you will be only frustrated by something you can never change.

I belive you have experienced what happens when e.g. 4 players from one clan join pubic server and all will stack on one side axis or alies... than you can see what teamwork can be about - but it is only because these guys already play sometime together, all will take gun that are familiar with (if possible) and the most important, they are connected via teamspeak so all have maximum info about game... I am not sure if I need to write more.. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
for me its simple.

I'm a better tank driver than shooter (eventhough i'm a pretty good shot too).

So i dont mind someone hopping in with me to shoot rounds. I do mind however that if theres limited tanks, a loner noob gets in and drives off, leaving 2 crew picking their nose in spawn.

Also if i hop into a tank in mid battlefield cuz mine got blow up, and they yell at me to gtfo, i usually come back and shoot a round up his *** and tell him "Sorry, i'm a better at driving than shooting. You should have let me drive." that usually shuts up their big ego.

PS: try thedamnedpriests server. I always see teamplay and a fair share of clanner on it. It has its occasional noob but mostly its fun and sim oriented people that play there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
what I realy love - when you play tank map on public and you jump to tank, I select driver for first because majority want to be commander = shooting. Than I drive him where I want and he can shoot. If we survive for some time than something magic happens - I call it "short term friendship" - everytime I played with someone in a tank and we both tryed to do our best than once we respawned, both look for each other to play together again... and than after 2 -3 respawns you can very friendly agree that you can switch after each respawn so once you play driver, once commander... this is big satisfaction and feeling of this absolutely overrun the fact if we loose or win as a team.

Upvote 0
what I realy love - when you play tank map on public and you jump to tank, I select driver for first because majority want to be commander = shooting. Than I drive him where I want and he can shoot. If we survive for some time than something magic happens - I call it "short term friendship" - everytime I played with someone in a tank and we both tryed to do our best than once we respawned, both look for each other to play together again... and than after 2 -3 respawns you can very friendly agree that you can switch after each respawn so once you play driver, once commander... this is big satisfaction and feeling of this absolutely overrun the fact if we loose or win as a team.

I agree completely. Its fun to jump into a tank with a friend or a complete stranger. With a stranger, once an understanding has been established, its alot of fun coordinating the tank. After a couple of times you even seek each other out even when you were killed at separate times. Its a great experience and alot of fun and very different from solo tanking. Not to mention, the ability to angle and move your tank while reloading and firing makes the tank a far more efficient killing machine.:)

Upvote 0
Look von i dont know whats wrong with you but guest passes are a good thing. You need to stop being a baby and realize that this game has to promotion or demo so people dont get to try the game out. Yes some "noobs" might not play just how you want but if you dont let new people try the game the community will die. I got a guest pass and after playing it i decided to buy it because its a fantastic game. If someone gave me a order id follow it because thats the kind of game i like. Ive been looking for a game like RO where tactics matter but most games that claim that still turn into a blast fest, this one dosent. If anyone a noob its you because you cant see the good in allowing new people to play the game

Upvote 0