• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

If there was a (sp)ww2 game where you play as German, would you play it?

If there was a (sp)ww2 game where you play as German, would you play it?

• Only if it was based on another Front than the Eastern and Western Front

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Make a really good officer character that isn't all corn-cob pipe up his ass or anything, but just a solid Richard Winters-esque guy who looks out for his men, shares some humble wisdom and is a good tactician.

Now add the other random Germans from random towns and cities, each one a little distinct.

The campaign could involve retreating, infact it could be all about just staying alive and keeping your comrades safe while trying to slow down the Allies as long as possible.

It would win Emmys and Oscars and stuff man.. it would be beautiful. Just make sure that Ubisoft, EA Games and Infinity Ward DO NOT GET THEIR HANDS ON IT, but make sure the development team doesn't **** ass either.

Upvote 0
No,
because of the problem about playing a soldier who has fight for racism (and the other things) ... there is certainly a ethic problem ...
It is certainly different from playing one of the allies which was fighting for a "good" goal (fighting again an invasion or liberate countries).

Yes,
if it is a fantasy game (like uber soldier)
or it is a kind of anti-nazi game (begin as a soldier and finish the game in the resistance).
or an anti-war game ...

PS: it's like a playing a sp game during the 39-40 war,
it's better to do a sp game with a finnish soldier rather than a soviet soldier who is the invader...

Upvote 0
It would be best if you have a campaign similar to that of COD, where you switch from one character to the next. So, you have one german and one allied guy who fight their way through the enemy and meet face to face in the final mission. You can have a cinematic thing pop in and watch them look at eachother and then something dramatic will happen and you start crying and stuff...

The big problem with a game from german perspective is that you won't be able to avoid stereotypes for the game not to be called pro-nazi propoganda.

Upvote 0
I would play it. Personally to me, when someone is in a war and fighting, it doesnt matter what side they are on, they are all just has human as the people they are shooting at and being shot at by. That might not translate as well to a game where people arent terrified for their life, but it might alert them to the fact that there is no good and bad on the front line, just life and death.

Upvote 0
Make a really good officer character that isn't all corn-cob pipe up his ass or anything, but just a solid Richard Winters-esque guy who looks out for his men, shares some humble wisdom and is a good tactician.

Now add the other random Germans from random towns and cities, each one a little distinct.

The campaign could involve retreating, infact it could be all about just staying alive and keeping your comrades safe while trying to slow down the Allies as long as possible.

It would win Emmys and Oscars and stuff man.. it would be beautiful. Just make sure that Ubisoft, EA Games and Infinity Ward DO NOT GET THEIR HANDS ON IT, but make sure the development team doesn't **** ass either.

especially ea and infinity ward, i hate call of duty and medal of honour

Upvote 0
I only buy a game if it has good multi-player!

Atm we dont think twice about playing as Axis in Ro (or DoD if you still play that piece of sh*t!!)

So I wouldnt have a problem playing a single player game where one played a german soldier! German sailor or pilot doesnt really count as contraversial IMO.

Problem is I doubt any developer out there has the balls to do it. A free mod, sure. But not a standalone game where they hope to make any money from it!

Upvote 0
I think a game could be successful if it didn't try to tiptoe around the Nazis and etc. Something similar to the movie Stalingrad, where your character and some of your squadmates start out being patriotic, going off to war, witnessing some of the atrocities being committed (especially on the East Front), becoming disillusioned with the Nazi command, and finally setting out to try and keep themselves alive regardless of their orders.

Agreed. I don't like that you would have to try and keep your squadmates alive, but I think there should be incentives to it. Everything else is perfect.

I would play one, though, so long as it was not pro-Nazi, and was actually a good game.

Upvote 0
Only if I am part of a group that intend to assassinate Hitler by the end of the game...

It should have a good story, plot and it should in no way encourage or promote the Nazi mentality.

I enjoy RO even on the German side because there are no plots what so ever.
I respect the Millitary, common soldiers who where not involved with the slaughter of unarmed innocent people, strats and weapons...

I have Zero Tolerance for people who approve Nazi Ideals... and those things do offend me... makes me want to find these people and run them over

Edit

Henry, I respect you're opinion in the sence of originality, but no one can deny the fact that many people can be offended by such a game and for pretty decent reasons.

I respect the tactics, strategy, weapons as I said above, but anything that promotes Nazi Ideals such as superior race, jews are evil and should be taken care of.... **** of that nature can influence a lot of idiot kids with a lack of parental guidance.

Besides that, medias would give the devs a real hard time... specially in germany lol...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it would be great, the way a storyline could go for a game like this is great.

For example you play a campaign as part of a heer unit and go from the head strong victories of 41 to the loss at Moscow, then the weathering of the counter offensive and turn around. Now you march on Stalingrad tasting vicory again only to get caught face the meat grinder and then defeat and constant retreat afterwards. Culminating with an ending at Kursk after the battle as your unit pulls back and you realise that the war is lost.

It could be a very dramatic game if done well.

Upvote 0