• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Addition of the Commisar Class

thedonster

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2006
British Colombia
I suggest we simulate real Ostfront conditions by adding the Commisar class to the Soviet side on infantry maps. This unit would simulate the "blocking troops" employed by the NKVD to improve motivation and prevent disgraceful retreat in the face of the fascist beasts.
The Political Commisar would get points for team kills! He should be armed with a TT33 and a megaphone, and have the ability to blurt out communist slogans integrated in the chat menu.
Just think how helpful it would be on maps where the riflemen tend to hang back and snipe from cover instead of advancing suicidally in patriotic Soviet fashion to have a Commisar blasting pistol rounds at them from behind.

Germans also should get a hold or die order, meaning they would loose spawns if they lost certain positions. hitler would order "hold this position to the death" and some commanders would choose to pull out because it was a tactical suicide to stay in that position. so the germans would have even more incentive to hold a position or loose 5-10 % reinforcements.

edit:
me an my bro were joking about this... lol we came up with these situations..
1: commisar gets panzerfausts and tks yer own tanks...
2: commisar gets sniper rifle and start poping heads ....
3:commisar is sitting behind some rifelers telling them they have 15 seconds left before he can shoot them..
the russian soldiers go on public voip and i quote say " can the german sniper please shoot the ***** with the megaphone?!!!".
4:"ok fooktard commisar, spawn I DARE YOU!!!"
5: commander: says " ok soldiers you fight the germans, il fight the commisar"
6: in a round of konigsplatz the germans have strict orders NOT to shoot the opposing commisar
7: commisar gets arty.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually, I have to admit this could be hilarious... definitely a suitable idea for a small mod :) For balance, you'd really have to add some form of SS fanatic to the German side, who is allowed to hang soldiers from lamp-posts if they try and retreat!

On the historical note: yes, Commissars existed, were part of the organisation until 1942ish and were responsible for shooting people. NKVD blocking detachments did exist, but not quite as in EATG. They were put back behind the lines, mostly to prevent "unauthorised retrograde movements", rather than being on the front line. And the Germans got pretty brutal towards soldiers retreating or found without weapons...

Mind you, I do like the idea of playing "Comrade Commissar"... who should have a "kick" as a melee option. I can just see it now: "Comrade Yoshiro!" - KICK - "get off your arse and charge the enemy!!" lol

Upvote 0
Actually, I have to admit this could be hilarious... definitely a suitable idea for a small mod :) For balance, you'd really have to add some form of SS fanatic to the German side, who is allowed to hang soldiers from lamp-posts if they try and retreat!

On the historical note: yes, Commissars existed, were part of the organisation until 1942ish and were responsible for shooting people. NKVD blocking detachments did exist, but not quite as in EATG. They were put back behind the lines, mostly to prevent "unauthorised retrograde movements", rather than being on the front line. And the Germans got pretty brutal towards soldiers retreating or found without weapons...

Mind you, I do like the idea of playing "Comrade Commissar"... who should have a "kick" as a melee option. I can just see it now: "Comrade Yoshiro!" - KICK - "get off your arse and charge the enemy!!" lol

Exactly. Don't believe everything you see in the movies. These men were put way behind lines, mostly in towns and other settlements. They were not actually ten feet behind the fighting units ready to shoot as soon as someone took a step backward. Retreat was often an important strategy imployed by the Soviets and they weren't the mindless "run into gunfire" monkeys the movies make them out to be.

Upvote 0
The whole NKVD and order #227 issue has been blown out of proportion by western propaganda.

The "Not a step back" order or order #227 was imposed because there was nothing to fall back to and not to frighten soldiers or to give NKVD units a nice hobby...
Soldiers were motivated enough.
Around the same time the order was issued Stalin realised that he shouldn't meddle as much with his high command. He gave his commanders a lot more tactical freedom. Strategical objectives needed to be taken though.

Upvote 0
Hilarious idea, and it would work in own fashion.

However, one condition I would like to have in this would be that only if certain event "comes" in motion this Comissar class becomes avaible.

However, after it has been "fixed", it is unavaible and the guy who is (was) comissar will spawn with the class he was before spawning as comissar.

And if it gets repeated that the certain event comes in motion, the it comes avaible again.

Upvote 0