• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Question for army people on these forums.

Thanks for the sanity check.

Alot of the guys I have talked to since coming back from Iraq were not happy about the situation over there.
At least we haven't done the "sanity clause" joke yet...

And there is a piece of news footage I'd like a link to if anyone can find it. Iraq - can't remember which round - the BBC had Kate Adie doing some interviews with soldiers on "why are you here, guys?". The US boys looked very earnest and gave answers about "To preserve freedom... our way of life... help everyday Iraquis" and so on. She then asked a bunch of Brit squaddies, who's answer was typically Brit: "Its for the oil, innit? You should know that, Kate!".

Upvote 0
Okay, so I'm 16 and I have no clue what I'm going to do with my future after college. Today, I was taking an archery class and realized how I really like shooting off weapons. My dad owns a rifle, and I really like to shoot that as well, it gives an immense feeling of satisfaction. So that's one thing I like, and I also like to be pretty active and do stuff when I can. This got me thinking, may be I should join the army? I can honestly think of no other career alternative that wouldn't bore the s*** out of me, and the army trains you to be really active and strong, which sounds good to me. Some programs pay your way for college, I heard, and that's something I really need (my family almost went broke paying the way for my high school, and college would kill us.) Anyway, I think the Marines would be good for me, because I like shooting guns, I'm a fairly good shooter, especially considering my age. I know that the army has really really tough training and all, but I think that's what I need the most. I can stick through it, and it will make me strong and learn to fight. The only thing I'm afraid of is having to go to war.

So, I'm asking anyone who is in the army, is it really worth it? Is the physical training really terrible, or is it tolerable? Is there a danger of getting shipped off to war? Remember, I'm just 16 and a junior in high school, so there's still plenty of time to think about this. I just had a thought and it sounded good, and I'd like a real opinion on it. Thanks. :)
My Unions Field Rep. is an old family friend. He retired as an E-7, and saw duty in Iraq-1. Before he retired, he was a Army Recruiter and got re-assigned for telling kids to join the Air Force, and learn to fix medical equipment. Hospitals have machines that cost millions of dollars, and need continuous maintenance and repair. If you want a good job that pays very well as a civilian go this route.

His exact words were "for the most part, the only thing you will learn in the Army that you can use in Civilian life is to be a security guard, and they make $10. bucks an hour."

No wonder he got re-assigned. :)

Upvote 0
ok, ive done an orientational year for the army, to see if i like it and stuff, i'm gonna join later but first i want to get some more education.
one thing i want to make clear though, everybody loves firing weapons, but just dont expect you're allowed to do that real quickly when you get shipped out and stuff :rolleyes: ive been taught a few things, and one of them was not to start anything, ofcourse you can defend yourself but you should make clear that you dont want to fight. ofcourse when you are being shot at that is past the point of no return and you just fire back:p
ive been instructed a little bit in close combat, and one things you learn right at the start is *dont know the name in english * but basically when youve got someone walking at you, and you dont trust him in your vicinity, you yell out HALT! take a step back, take a battle stance, but you dont do anything else. if he continues walking at him, you kick him on the chest to keep him away.
point of this is to avoid people just going all high and mighty with their power as a soldier and go like they're all that and stuff. this would shake up the populace ( for example in Iraq ), so kinda the basic rule was: for every guy attacked unnecesarily, there will be one more bomb or gun aimed at your comrade.

god ive talked a lot, and i dont think im getting the point across:D i'll find out in a while anyway ;)

Upvote 0
Okay, um, oops. I'm not sure what made me think Marines where what I was thinking of. I was just thinking of the basic land forces, grunt work and all that. Thanks for the tips, though, people, it shows just how little I do know. Wilsonam, I had no intention of joining the special forces. I know you have to start off at the very bottom. I don't want to get too high up there, actually.

I'll keep thinking on it.

Upvote 0
I think the worst reason to join any sort of armed forces is because you can't think of anything better to do. A better choice would be to just go to school (what sane and reasonably intelligent people do when they have no idea what they want in life, and you seem to me to be both.) If you're a good student apply for as many scholarships as you can. If you **** at school like me, they even offer financial aid with very low acceptance standards.

Just don't do it because you feel you have no options. If you end up doing it you better make sure you WANT to do it. From what I can tell you came to this decision because you like to shoot guns and you "like to be pretty active and do stuff when I can" piss-poor reason especially when you can't really change your mind halfway through.

Upvote 0
I think the worst reason to join any sort of armed forces is because you can't think of anything better to do. A better choice would be to just go to school (what sane and reasonably intelligent people do when they have no idea what they want in life, and you seem to me to be both.) If you're a good student apply for as many scholarships as you can. If you **** at school like me, they even offer financial aid with very low acceptance standards.

Just don't do it because you feel you have no options. If you end up doing it you better make sure you WANT to do it. From what I can tell you came to this decision because you like to shoot guns and you "like to be pretty active and do stuff when I can" piss-poor reason especially when you can't really change your mind halfway through.

Well said.

Which is suprising, given it's Jenova, but hey, the world is still spinning. :)

Upvote 0
Army training is good for everyone and everyone should do it IMO. You do learn alot of stuff about yourself and people in general that you most probably will not learn in any other place. (the army is not only about learning to become a killing machine unlike what some people might think).

Wrong, dead wrong.

A mate of mine was forced in, came back out a shadow of a man, angry and bitter, he's changed, isolated, hatefull.. he was never like that before.

They broke him, and forgot to build him back up, now he's damaged goods, and i dont know if he'll ever be like the freind i once knew.

Upvote 0
From just training?

I wont go into any details, it would be illegal for me to do so, but suffice to say, what goes on in bootcamp is confidential, you cannot talk about it, and some of the top brass see's that as an oppertunity to be sadistic bastards twords the conscripts.

Ofcourse this is not the norm, far from it, but some places.. its corrupt, and its allowed to continue, you dont wanna know what they put the conscripts through..

Take this as a warning, if you join, your arse belongs to the chain of command, and if things go terribly wrong, your options are very limited.

Upvote 0
I thought about being an MP for awhile, but there is just too much **** that can happen. I am getting an education in the field I want a career in (law enforcement), joining the local PD's explorer program, and I will be pretty much set in a few years.

Don't go off to the Army because you're bored and want to shoot guns. That's a pretty dumb reason to go.

Upvote 0
Wrong, dead wrong.

A mate of mine was forced in, came back out a shadow of a man, angry and bitter, he's changed, isolated, hatefull.. he was never like that before.

They broke him, and forgot to build him back up, now he's damaged goods, and i dont know if he'll ever be like the freind i once knew.

maybe in Denmark. Its not illegal here in the United States to talk about boot camp. In fact you can watch marines boot camp on t.v. Called "Making Marines" made by discovery channel

Upvote 0
my advice: if you're joining the military at all., JOIN THE ****ING MARINES!
They don't promise you a rose garden, but everybody else looks like a bunch of applesauce-consitency pussies compared to them. It would be well worth it. After all, Once a Marine, Always a Marine!

Aye, watch a few programs on the Military Channel or the discovery channel about the Marines and the Marine Corps. Bootcamp Programs... they are well worth it. I watched them and I still want to be a marine myself. (My grandfather also keeps loading me up on USMC progpaganda, mainly good books)

Upvote 0
Bigger reality check:
  • War is hell
  • You no longer fight for your country but for whoever is in power at the time and their political aims (if Bush was never* President would the US really be in Iraq?).
  • Sometimes the enemy is there simply to die for what he believes and is going to try his hardest to take you with him.
  • Are you willing to live with horrible injuries to body and mind?
  • Are you prepared to deal with the death of a enemy/civilian/friendly that you caused?
Now you may not have to deal with any of that if your in the support, role (communications, supplies, R & D, etc.) but then again, the battlefield constantly shifts, sometimes right into you. Wars are fought wherever and whenever the place and time are right. I say this as a warning to all would-be recruits, the military is not like the movies, it and will not be "fun".

*Edited

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All I will say is, make sure you are joining for the right reasons. 4 years may not seem like a long time, but as others have said, a lot of that time is boredom and putting up with BS from your fellow soldiers and your chain of command. Heck, it was even like that when I was in Iraq - some days it felt like the deployment was never going to end.

But, I digress - if you feel committed enough to put in the time, then by all means do it. I am about to finish my committment here at the end of the year, and really I have no regrets about it.

Upvote 0
goes to show you how far a little brainwashing and propaganda will go. the recrutment officer prolly visited someones school recently. why anyone would knowingly put thier life in jeopardy for the piss poor reasons some countries ask of them, is beyond me. war used to be about improving standards of living, and killing those who dont agree with your beliefs.:D
nowadays it seems war is about making a few people very rich, and killing those who dont agree with thier beliefs. :eek:
the military used to be an honorable place to go once out of school. it isnt that way anymore. the reason is because instead of fighting for your country or your freedom you are now fighting to fatten the pockets of a select few already rich business men. take some advice from the village idiot: stay in school, work hard at your studies, and learn a skilled trade at the very least. the rest will fall into place as you grow both mentaly and physicaly.

Upvote 0