• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

the no blur option does not penalize you enough,

the no blur option does not penalize you enough,

• Yes, make it mandatory for all gfx cards that support it

Votes: 76 71.0%
  • No, leave it as is

Votes: 31 29.0%

• Total voters

SingeDebile

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2006
the idea with the blur, is that it acts as a real suppresive power because you cant see a thing with bullets wizzing around you or even the concussion from a close grenade.

however, with the no blur option (presumbly for those with less powerful computers.. though i havnt noticed almost any performance difference) all you get is a very very slight dimming of the screen.

Lately ive been playing with blur off and most of the time i dont even notice the fact bullets are wizzing past me... much less having a suppresive effect (which tactically is one of the biggest benifits of the already little used MG's) not to mention throwing a grenade that misses you can still charge into the room and get the first shot off because the enemy cant see anything.

Tactically this makes no sense to offer this as an option, Those playing with the blur are severly handicapped and those without it have a huge advantage.

I think the game would be much more challenging and fun if everyone were forced to have the blur effect.... otherwise the option as it stands right now is a self imposed handicap (though adding tremendusly to the atmosphere of the game)

to change this in the upcoming patch would probobly be about the easiest thing to do (and please do make it mandatory). If hypothetically this is a feature that can only be supported on higher end cards then only make it an option for those with the lesser cards.

Last edited:
I have motion blur enabled and it does enhance the atmosphere a lot, I wasn't aware tho that those who have it disabled may have an advantage over us.

Then again if it is off due to a slow computer then we would have the advantage anyway since we can generally get better aim with the higher FPS and less video lag.

Upvote 0
I voted yes, but prefer the keep it an option but make turning it off worse. And by worse I don't mean just make the current implementation worse, but make it MUCH worse to have it turned off. At least black out the screen or actually implement the dreaded cone of fire if you are affected. Something.
:D

Upvote 0
The blur effect cannot be forced, it relies on DX9 capable tech from the vid-card, older cards are incabable of rendering it, and older budget versions of the DX9 cards do it at horrible performance.

Hence, i wholeheartedly support the idea of making the blackouts worse, when im blurred, i can't see a thing! just a mess of colours and shapes, nothing that i could possibly take a shot at, and likewise, the blackout needs to make sure people cant see what they are shooting, if that means that screen has to go all black, so be it, dont like that? buy a decent DX9 cabable card, GF 6600Gt's are very cheap!

Upvote 0
veryhungryhobo said:
ps who is that guy in the sig I looks oddly familiar

I believe it is Dr. Strangelove. From the movie.

On topic: Motion Blur = slightly odd. Complete blacking out of screen = person closing their eyes in a grimace because a bullet nearly hit them.

I think a combination of the two would be alright. I know if a bullet whizzed by me I'd flinch.

Upvote 0
When I first started playing i had blur enabled and I thought everyone did and it was a really cool effect. I liked the idea that you could supress with MGs as otherwise they were fairly useless.

Then I turned it off just to see what the other effect was and it was negligible in fact it barely affects my performance at all. I think the black screen effect should be more pronounced to be truly effective and to give the sensation of being pinned down.

I like the idea...just seems silly that having it enabled causes such an impact on how you play.

Upvote 0
If a player turns off the blur, then they should have an equally handicapping alternate effect (in this case the blacking out). If a player's system can't handle the blurs, that's fine, and they shouldn't be made to buy a new graphics card or something to make the game playable because of that one feature, but at the same time people shouldn't be able to turn it off and make suppressive fire totally useless.

Actually being able to use suppressive fire as an effective tactic or whatever you want to call it goes a long way toward making the game more realistic, so allowing players to just nullify suppressive fire completely takes away some realism from this game, whose main draw to me was the promise of realism (especially as far as tactics go), and it's also unfair to the players who play with the blur on.

Upvote 0