• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

I believe they might have, but that's beside the point, since showing only SP footage is still a strong indication in my book that the MP part is just not as far along in its development.

I don't know... maybe they have some other reasoning for showing only SP footage. Actually, hopefully they do...

They do and it's been said. Watching a cinematic is more interesting to most people than a multiplayer segment where people would appear to be randomly running around firing at stuff. It's much easier from a promotional standpoint when you display the new features in preset environment because it emphasizes them. So people like us who already know what we're looking for just have to wait.

This video was by far the worst of the bunch though. The other trailers showed cinematic/hollywood stuff but it wasn't all that cliche. New video displays those stupid *** quicktime segments, "Press right button to knee guy in face, press left button to win etc...." and of course the standard of all fps games: here's an mg, get on it and mow down 50 men who like to charge massive guns. I knew it was going to be a gamey sp but I was rather ok with that, but this cliche'd nonsense really needs to die.

Upvote 0
YouTube - Battlefield 3 - Fault Line "Get That Wire Cut" Analysis

@4m33 He mentions Red Orchestra 2 :D (winding up for bipod use in FPS games)

Comon Tripwire, release an awesome gameplay video for us, so this guy can do the voice over haha :D
Nice video. It's cool how they even mentioned RO2 along side mainstream titles like BF3 and CoD, showing that RO2 is getting some good attention.

Now we just need a mindblowing trailer showing off ALL of RO2's amazingly innovative features with badass music and good editing.

Upvote 0
DICE: Most sandbox games are 'boring and not very popular'

Battlefield 3's exec producer Patrick Bach has described sandbox games as largely "hardcore, boring, hard to get into and not very popular." Ouch.

The EA man told Edge that his team has demonstrated its ability to create open world games in the past but, logistical problems (and, apparently, a certain development philosophy) have meant that Battlefield 3 will be a much more scripted, linear affair.

"I don't see it as an absolute goal for all games to be sandbox games. We've been building sandbox games for quite some time and we've got pretty good at it, but I don't see that as the only way of building games, because then we wouldn't build campaigns at all," he told Edge.

"In some cases they aren't, but in most cases sandbox games are hardcore, boring, hard to get into and they are not very popular.

"Just the fact that the environment can change dynamically creates a huge challenge for us when it comes to AI," he explained.

"[It] puts a lot of challenges to our AI code when it comes to finding new cover, reacting to the fact that it has disappeared, moving and flanking based on the new situation."

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...andbox-games-are-boring-and-not-very-popular/

So, since they can't be bothered to design a decent AI that can manage more than walking down scripted paths, they declare more open games as "too hardcore"? Nice one DICE, real nice. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
DICE: Most sandbox games are 'boring and not very popular'

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...andbox-games-are-boring-and-not-very-popular/

So, since they can't be bothered to design a decent AI that can manage more than walking down scripted paths, they declare more open games as "too hardcore"? Nice one DICE, real nice. :rolleyes:
Indeed, this philosophy is a firm step BACKWARDS from innovation -- not forwards.

Heaven for bid we try to innovate in a AAA title rather than just appealing to the masses in the most safe way possible. That's just the way it is for AAA multi-platform shooters right now.

The innovation is and probably will always be with Indy developers. Unfortunately they tend to lack big enough budgets most of the time.

Upvote 0
In no way am I saying that linear games can't be innovative, or that games that have linear campaigns or designs are automatically insignificant.

It's the REASONING for the decision that bothers me. Rather than say, "Hey we really wanted to make this great campaign and decided an open world design is not what we want. It's an artistic decision," they said "Well, open world games are really hard to design and don't appeal to the masses so we won't make our game open-ended."

That is a cop-out, not an artistic decision. At least they could have BSed it and said it was lol.

Upvote 0
But deploying a weapon on the environment is innovation, and so is an earthquake, no one's done an earthquake in a game before. Besides, if you do much new stuff then people might get scared, or worse, be challenged a little, a new key might be a little tough to learn.

Of course - hell forbid trying to make something different.

And we all now its extremely important to be popular.

Upvote 0
What I hate is that they try to play it off as if this was purely a decision based on their design philosophy, while everyone with half a brain can see that trying to get higher sales numbers was at least as big of a factor.

They're basically just doing what CoD games have been doing and trying to one-up them with better graphics and destructible environments.

Can't place all of the blame on them tho, a lot of it lies with the average consumer, which nowadays is a casual console gamer. They don't want a more complex game, either because they simply prefer a linear and simplistic game, or because they just don't know any better. This puts publishers and developers in a position where they don't really need to innovate, since churning out games that are basically copies of each other and are cheaper and easier to make, yet are likely to bring in more money, than a game with new innovative (and maybe a bit more complex) features, is simply a better business decision.
Heaven for bid we try to innovate in a AAA title rather than just appealing to the masses in the most safe way possible. That's just the way it is for AAA multi-platform shooters right now.

The innovation is and probably will always be with Indy developers. Unfortunately they tend to lack big enough budgets most of the time.
Yeah, this is just sad.

Big developers and publishers choose not to innovate and play it safe, in order to reel in the big bucks every year (*cough CoD cough*), while most smaller and indie developers just don't have the finances and/or manpower to work on a truly innovative big budget game for several years. Also, the risks for them are much bigger, since if the game fails, the company may very well to follow suit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I personally like a clear direction in a game, however I like to choose for myself how to solve an issue.

I like missions where you need to get to postion X, and you can choose for yourself how to get there.

I personally do not like sandbox games in the sense that you're dumped in a sandbox and can choose everything you wish to do. Give me a mission to solve in an open world. With different pacings through the ride.

Reactions: Dcode
Upvote 0