• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF Serverside music

Brobocop

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 6, 2010
I could not find a previous thread for this topic. But I would like to know of there is a way to have my server play custom music. I know how to add custom music the game by converting and renaming .ogg files. And now that I host a server I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to have the server host music files and have the user download them if the file size is different?

Just as an FYI, a question like this belongs in dedicated server support. (Even if you're only hosting a listen server, questions of this type still probably should go there)

As for your question, I'm not 100% certain, but I would guess that if your server is running custom music files, it will make clients download them when they connect. Just keep in mind that not everyone wants to wait 10 minutes to join a server while they download a whole bunch of custom files.

Upvote 0
Just as an FYI, a question like this belongs in dedicated server support.

Not sure why since it isn't exclusive to dedicated. It would actually fit in on Sound with the several other threads on this topic.

Play song commands are serverside. It is possible to force different music to clients by altering the map INTs. Play music function is clientside though. This means if you're changing things to include music from outside the game there's a good chance no one will hear it.

Upvote 0
My server will feature pirate metal, perfect for killing Zeds to!

Got Alestorm? I'd be there in a heartbeat. :D

Play music function is clientside, as others have said, so the only way to have music play is if the client has it. You can put it in the map file, but this tends to make the file sizes quite large, which is just going to annoy 90% of people until they spam Esc and leave.

(And slightly off-topic, there's actually a (slightly buggy) built-in music client leftover from UT2004--makes me wonder why people bother with replacing music in the first place. You can just fire up the music player as a client and play whatever you want, and it overrides the default game music. ;))

Upvote 0
Not sure why since it isn't exclusive to dedicated. It would actually fit in on Sound with the several other threads on this topic.
It relates to configuring a server to do something though, and as I said, listen and dedicated servers are basically the same when it comes to configuring various things.
Got Alestorm? I'd be there in a heartbeat. :D
Exactly who I was thinking of. ;)

Upvote 0