• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rare specimens

Hell-met

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2012
So I was recently thinking about what new specimens TWI could possibly add, but I realized the current batch right now really compliment eachother very well. I did try things like the brute but I found them silly and annoying.

So instead I thought about adding "rare" versions of already-existing specimens. I would call them "chargers".

Specifically, a charger gorefast, a charger scrake and a charger fleshpound.

Basically, everytime a gorefast, scrake or fleshpound spawns in the map, there would be a 2% chance of it being a "charger" variant.

A charger is completely identical in statistics to the common specimen; same health and damage. However here's the twist : it spawns fully-raged and runs at full speed regardless of how far it is from players or its health. It is permanently raged and will never slow down (unless crisping).

They would also have a different skin to help warn the players. A charger gorefast could be purple/blue-ish, a charger scrake could have a red-ish apron, a black mask and red eyes. A charger fleshpound could simply have green lights on at all times. Maybe also give them a lower-pitched voice. Perhaps increase the bounty aswell.

I think this would add some fun randomness into games. Perhaps have them completely disabled in Beginner and Normal. I could see this promote teamwork and perhaps diminish the survival rates of loners.

thoughts? :)

Last edited:
Specifically, a charger gorefast, a charger scrake and a charger fleshpound.

Basically, everytime a gorefast, scrake or fleshpound spawns in the map, there would be a 2% chance of it being a "charger" variant.

thoughts? :)

Nice idea! This is already implemented in every public server: scrakes and fleshpounds are almost always raged when you meet them :p

Upvote 0
This is already implemented in every public server: scrakes and fleshpounds are almost always raged when you meet them :p

Made me lol :p

Also this idea is horrifying. Not sure in a good or bad way yet.

The FP in particular is probably worse. Scs will probably be seen a fair distance off in open ground, or get stuck behind other zeds in corridors letter a sharpshooter take them. FPs will just mow through everything and be up in your grill before you can blink, with 1 hit KOs.

I think to make it fairer, they'd have to have their stats lowered and the spawn % increased.

After all, a perma-raging FP that doesn't have his 3 second rage animation, once he got amongst a tightly placed camping party without a zerker or medic would take them all out in under 5 seconds IMHO. You're either fine, or you're party wiped.

Upvote 0
I also like this idea. Maybe by each difficulty this could be implemented.

Beginner - 1% chance
Normal - 2% chance
Hard - 3% chance
Suicidal - 4% chance
Hell On Earth - 5% chance

And if they ever make a "Ludicrous" difficulty, put it at 10%

I call for a new difficulty called Wicked Sick. :p

Anyways, I quite like the idea here, though I'd suggest the FP to be forced to give a re-rage animation after killing a player, like a sort of battle taunt.

Upvote 0
I'd branch out a bit in the behavior of the rare enemies. Here are some suggestions:

Clot - faster and double health
Gorefast - your charging idea works well
Stalker - completely silent and invisible (except to Commandos) until it attacks
Crawler - no delay between jumps
Bloat - dramatically increased head health
Siren - longer range screams with less delay
Husk - if it has line of sight on a player, it will stop advancing when it is 20 feet away (it won't retreat either)
Scrake - survives decapitation with modest health and rages
FP - faster, stronger, but does not rage

Upvote 0
I'd branch out a bit in the behavior of the rare enemies. Here are some suggestions:

Stalker - completely silent and invisible (except to Commandos) until it attacks
Husk - if it has line of sight on a player, it will stop advancing when it is 20 feet away (it won't retreat either)

If you're wanting to change all the zeds, may I suggest browsing:

https://github.com/scaryghost/SuperZombieMut/wiki
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=50932

Upvote 0

I love this idea, and since I read it a few days ago, I've been reflecting on my own time about how this would play out.

Clot is good, but I'd add another arm on it's back so it can attach itself to someone from touching it's back, not just from the front.

Gorefast should have constant charge as well as 2 blade hands instead of 1.

Stalker is good, just maybe make it a tad bit faster too.

Crawler is good, just add a little extra health with it.

Bloat is perfect, I'd even add a helmet to his face that needs to be shot off before his head takes any damage.

Siren is good, but to add a little more spice to it's behavior, I'd make her screams go through walls, like taking 50% less damage than a direct hit.

Husk seems good, but I'd also add a double, or even triple shot from it's cannon instead of a single shot.

Scrake is perfect, if anything, just maybe give him a spike jacket, so attackers from the back can't just off him really easily without taking some kind of damage.

FP..... How do you make something so evil and destructive more evil and destructive? The FP should have a charge move where he pauses for 2 seconds and during this time his light indicator turns into a black light color, FP slams his fists together slow which takes another second or 2, and when his fists clasp together, a bolt of energy/lightning shoots straight out. This would fit well if this special FP would not rage but have the speed and toughness abilities with it.

Upvote 0
Gorefast should have constant charge as well as 2 blade hands instead of 1.

Stalker is good, just maybe make it a tad bit faster too.

Stalker needs to attack while moving (really kind does...)

Gorefast should not be pushed further down the damage:health ratio. Atm, he will take someone to under half health on HoE with one attack. Give him two blades (double damage?) and he'd instant kill someone on HoE, which is too brutal given his frequency and ease to kill.

Upvote 0
Stalker needs to attack while moving (really kind does...)

Gorefast should not be pushed further down the damage:health ratio. Atm, he will take someone to under half health on HoE with one attack. Give him two blades (double damage?) and he'd instant kill someone on HoE, which is too brutal given his frequency and ease to kill.

This would be a Gorefast that would have a "rare" chance to spawn, so having say, 2-3 of these spawn on round 5/10 wouldn't be too challenging.

Upvote 0
To be honest, although this "rare" Gorefast could be cool, I don't really like the sound of the idea. I mean, imagine if one of them managed to sneak up behind your team in wave 1/2? And took out half, if not more of them?
The idea is good in theory, but I don't think introducing a specimen that effectively does the same damage as a raged FP is going to work out too well. Like Althamus said, a 1.5 damage multiplier would be more preferable :)

Upvote 0
Gorefast currently deals 2x26 damage on HoE, for 52 total. Double that to be 104, which would kill you with no armour.

FP hits for 2x106 with his uppercuts on a rage, which is enough to kill you with armour on HoE.

Double-bladed gorefast would still be weaker than a raging FP, but on the other hand doesn't have a 3 second rage animation. If it crept up on a weakened team, it could easily take out two guys close together before it went down.

Upvote 0
To be honest, although this "rare" Gorefast could be cool, I don't really like the sound of the idea. I mean, imagine if one of them managed to sneak up behind your team in wave 1/2? And took out half, if not more of them?
The idea is good in theory, but I don't think introducing a specimen that effectively does the same damage as a raged FP is going to work out too well. Like Althamus said, a 1.5 damage multiplier would be more preferable :)

If the Gorefast' manage to sneak up on the entire team, then most "seasoned" HOE players could manage this or be alert for this type of spawning.

Upvote 0