• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Placing of satchels/Team kills

Avron

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2005
Usually I'm a careful player and seldom commit team kills but when playing as sapper this happens too often. This frustrates me a bit because it is very difficult be a sapper and destroying obstacles without endanger your team and get kicked from the server.

My two suggestions to warn my teammates of a prepared satchel:
1) At the moment we have a general warning which indicates that a satchel was laid somewhere in the map. In my opinion this warning should only be shown when you are close-by. Now there are just too many warnings and you start to ignore them.

2) There could also be a default shout when laying the satchel that warns the nearby comrades acoustically. Americas Army has this default shout when throwing a grenade. Of course then there has to be a button to suppers the default shout because sometimes you don't want to warn the enemy.

1. Yeah, my eyes just glaze over everytime I see a "satchel charge placed" message. So good idea.

2. Beyond the voice command I would imagine this being pretty easy to implement and another bonus is that since satchels don't go off as much as grenades do, it wont get spammed like in CS (omg I am so sick of hearing "FIRE IN THE HOLE!" everytime someone throws any type of grenade in that game, which is like every other second... seriously, the beginning of a round has the most nade spam of any game I have every played, that voice command plays so often that it overlaps and cuts the other voice commands off). Oh and I think you meant 'suppress' though I guess you could keep the Germans away if the Russians yelled "supper!" I mean who wants to eat WWII Russian army rations :p.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ive had times where i lay a satchel and the idiot after watching me come back from laying will RUN TO WHERE I LAYED THE SATCHEL... i get kicked from the server typing RETARD.

i love getting kicked from my team when im doing my job as a team and the reason im kicked is another team mates ignorance.

in response to your suggestions, YES they are really good. Particularly your idea of having your character yell out that you placed a satchel, this should only be heard by your team. Otherwise the probelm i see is where you use satchels to destroy tanks, and if for some odd reason you can hear voices from inside the tank... it would alert the tank to move away from the satchel.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hijack your thread, but this is why I've proposed changes to the scoring system as well as the teamkill protection. Sappers should ALWAYS get points for destroying objectives, whether they count as captures or not. Teamkillers should be kicked for negative score only. This way a sapper who is contributing to his team would not get kicked, but a jackass who drops in them in the friendly spawn would get kicked instantly. In other words, if you're doing your job, the amount of points you get from destroying objectives would offset the hit you take in teamkills.

Good idea to have it only warn players in a specific radius, though. It would definitely make me more careful.

Upvote 0
I've always wondered why they added the "Satchel warning" text. This is a realism game. Soldiers don't know when a satchel is planted across the map.

They should get rid of some of the text messages and replace them with audio cues, which are much more realistic. If the soldier that planted the satchel automatically yelled out "Satchel planted! Take cover!" while planting a satchel, it would be much more realistic and better than a text message.

If people still choose to run into the satchel, it's their own fault to get killed.

Upvote 0
Nimsky said:
I've always wondered why they added the "Satchel warning" text. This is a realism game. Soldiers don't know when a satchel is planted across the map.

They should get rid of some of the text messages and replace them with audio cues, which are much more realistic. If the soldier that planted the satchel automatically yelled out "Satchel planted! Take cover!" while planting a satchel, it would be much more realistic and better than a text message.

If people still choose to run into the satchel, it's their own fault to get killed.

Actually, soldiers DO know when a satchel is being placed because they're usually working in a squad instead of running around all by their lonesome. It's a realism game, yes, but more in the sense that the game environment itself operates realistically. The players, however, do not operate as they would in real life. Thus, I have a lot less of a problem with "SATCHEL PLACED" messages in the HUD. I wouldn't even mind if the satchel actually glowed red for teammates.

I'm all for realism, but you've also got to take into account how people play the game -- which is more often than not running around on their own on public servers. Very rarely will people move in squads or even two-man teams.

Really, though, aside from tank maps, people will eventually stop getting killed by satchel explosions because they'll learn to check all the spots that people blow open (IE: Stalingrad Kessel doorways and walls).

Upvote 0
Moz said:
If a satch explodes in an objective zone and actually completes an objective, it shouldn't count against TKs.

Is that something that could actually be tracked/added? If so, that'd be worthwhile. Although, it might lead to people carelessly placing objectives. Is their currently an audio que as well? If not, that's worth adding. Some "Fire in the hole!" type voice comm that automatically goes off for satchel placement.

Upvote 0
I hate it when teamates go and stare at my satchels charge, but this suppose to be a realism server. All sapers should get on VoIP and call out that they are setting a charge and where they are dopping it. Should really just use local, but I'm not sure if the opposite team can hear that. I'm for no server wide message. No flashing lights. No countdown timer. No woooga woooga :D

Upvote 0
Avron said:
Usually I'm a careful player and seldom commit team kills but when playing as sapper this happens too often. This frustrates me a bit because it is very difficult be a sapper and destroying obstacles without endanger your team and get kicked from the server.

My two suggestions to warn my teammates of a prepared satchel:
1) At the moment we have a general warning which indicates that a satchel was laid somewhere in the map. In my opinion this warning should only be shown when you are close-by. Now there are just too many warnings and you start to ignore them.

2) There could also be a default shout when laying the satchel that warns the nearby comrades acoustically. Americas Army has this default shout when throwing a grenade. Of course then there has to be a button to suppers the default shout because sometimes you don't want to warn the enemy.

I like these ideas.

Upvote 0
I agree that this is fustrating and to be honest I've both killed and gotten killed but never intentionally and so long as the objective is completed, no big deal, for me anyway. This is another reason I like headsets. With a mic and text warnings I just don't see a big problem.
I guess my suggestion would be heads up and eyes open. If you ignore warnings I'm sorry but thats your own fault. The game can get busy and theres a lot going on. Communcation and intellegence is half the battle!

Upvote 0
I always drop the satchel, then use the two voice messages:

"Satchel planted!"
"Take cover!"

It's fairly easy to remember the key combinations for these two messages, and I think I've only been kicked for satchel teamkills once in the time I've been playing RO. If you don't use the messages and you get kicked, then you're just being careless.

The other thing I see players do is running and hucking satchels like short-range grenades. Trouble is, they don't always fly as straight or as far as they had hoped. If there is any quicker way to blow up half your team, I haven't seen it.

Upvote 0