• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Russian Cavalry!

Like these guys?
anumal4.jpg

Upvote 0
Wasn't cavalry pretty outdated in WW2? Russians used them, but I don't think they would be very effective in the game...

Not even sure if they really fought from their horses. Didn't they just use the horses for transportation to the front line, or also in combat?

Also I'd think it would take a considerable amount of work to make the horses "work".

Upvote 0
Russian cavalry units were used in the battle of Stalingrad during the encirclement phase to attack rear guard units in the open steppe but oviously they were never used in the city itself.

So my suggestion would be to have a variation of Spartanovska map but set in winter with the low visibility of the Fallen Fghter map ...and then surprise everyone with a massed cavalry attack!

Upvote 0
I was under the impression that most "cavalry" units at this point basically used the horses to travel around really fast, then dismounted to go into battle. Is this correct, or did they really sometimes ride around shooting at the enemy?

Anyways, either way I don't think it'd be worth it. Either it'd serve a purpose that currently doesn't see use within the game itself or would just make you a big fat target for the enemy team.

Upvote 0
In Stalingrad the soviet cavalry was still issued sabres so I guess they used them while mounted on their horse but nothing stopped them from dismounting and then attacking.

Also the italians and Romanians had cavalry units in Stalingrad.

Cavalry would be a bigger target but they would also move very fast.
I wouldnt like it to face them in Spartanoska for sure.

Upvote 0
In Stalingrad the soviet cavalry was still issued sabres so I guess they used them while mounted on their horse but nothing stopped them from dismounting and then attacking.

Also the italians and Romanians had cavalry units in Stalingrad.

Cavalry would be a bigger target but they would also move very fast.
I wouldnt like it to face them in Spartanoska for sure.

Can you please name an italian cavarly unit in stalingrad? There were only a transport unit in stalingrad afaik, and not on horses for sure.

Cavalry was used in many armies, mostly as a cheap "motorized" brigade. They also had some degree of motorization as the war advanced. The main purpose was to transport the troops somewhat fast around the battlefield, then dismount the horses in a safe location and deploy the squad as infantry, often with less support units (think light artillery, mortars, mgs, some were horse towed but...) Consider also that horses requires a lot of care to be at top (irons, food, medical care, furnitures like saddles and garnments, and a lot of things that your regular infantry battalion doesn't need...) and the eastern front wasn't exactly friendly on supply routes. Also, horses have the bad habit to die or be incapacitated by enemy bullets, shrapnel, and such (bad horses, baaaad ) and reserves weren't huge and right behind the corner (at least, not for the italians, that's for sure)

Charging on horse with sabres and grenades may sounds cool, but would require TONS of work to code, animate, and escpecially, fit on the map and terrain on a realistic way. Not really worth it.

Also, cavarly charges were VERY outdated by the time, and could only work in especially good conditions for the attacker, like night\fog and against poor armed foes (also read few machineguns\mortars) But i recognize some cavalry charges were effectively made (one quite famous by italians, can't rem the name right now)

All in all, definitely not in stalingrad rubble, frosted, streets. They would be simply too easy to kill\incapacitate.

Upvote 0
Right man :)

Found the wiki page (only italian, sorry)

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carica_di_Isbuscenskij

But I consider that a lucky strike, and the event was made big through propaganda (btw, all the videos on the event were postomuos, and the cavarlymen disapproved and protested a lot, to not furtherly stress the already tired horses) Nor germans or russian records of this battle are around afaik, so it was just a successful skirmish. Plus, without denyin honor and sacrifice, all those medals awarded, are because most of the cavarlymen were nobles...

From the wiki: "Il reggimento ebbe la medaglia d

Upvote 0
To confirm what some others have said, cavalry had been for a long time what dragoons were centuries prior. No one's first plan was to do a cavalry charge, even for Poland. If there was a cavalry charge it was oppurtunistic, say if the enemy isn't expecting it. Also, according to wikipedia most Polish cavalry charges were infact successful to some degree, although there were only about 15 such charges. And charges happened once in a while throughout the war.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_cavalry#Cavalry_charges_and_propaganda[/URL]
(take that for what it's worth, I wouldnt base my doctorate thesis on this)

But as for "why not have them?" Because thats way too much work to have an underwhelming 32-player charge that would never have happened

Upvote 0