• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

We should have non-toggle options for Aim/crouch/prone etc

We should have non-toggle options for Aim/crouch/prone etc

• Would you like Non-toggles as well as Toggles

Votes: 50 51.5%
  • The game is fine with only Toggles

Votes: 47 48.5%

• Total voters
Forget the other poll it was a catastrophique mistake :p

Lol... Are you sure you only messed up the 1st poll? Your first option line "Would you like Non-toggles as well as Toggles" is actually a question that can be answered with YES, NO, DON'T CARE and a few more. :D
My answer to that question would be YES, but that option isn't in the poll list ;)

Upvote 0
Lol... Are you sure you only messed up the 1st poll? Your first option line "Would you like Non-toggles as well as Toggles" is actually a question that can be answered with YES, NO, DON'T CARE and a few more. :D
My answer to that question would be YES, but that option isn't in the poll list ;)

I am retarded and have far to much alcohol in my system lol

Upvote 0
Yes, there really should be an option for Hold ADS. I can't play with Toggle ADS.

I've had the RO2 ini tweaked since release to make it Hold ADS but there's that annoying glitch that happens where you get stuck in the sights. Really hope it is truly implemented into the game someday.

Also, yeah. Your polling skills could use some improvement. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sure, more options are great. Personally, I don't get how non-toggle IS is any good. My aim would be messed up by holding down a button.

Yep, same response here really. I'm totally up for having options to cover as much stuff as possible - options are always great, if they can be implemented in a nice way that doesn't break anything.

I can't, however, imagine playing a game like RO2 with non-toggle crouch and prone. I mean... people say "I find it easier with non-toggle" - really? :) I can't compute how having to hold keys down while pressing other keys, is easier than simply hitting a key once to toggle, interacting with other keys un-hindered, and hitting it again to un-toggle. I absolutely never get into trouble by accidentally being toggled when I should be un-toggled, either :)

Still, each to their own - options rule the world :)

EDIT: Just to say, I'm not voting - I wouldn't use non-toggles, and it's probably better to have just a count of people who WOULD use them. Because, you know - people who don't really care but do vote, kind of kill the whole idea of counting votes :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For those of you that don't understand how holding a button is better than toggling it, this is my reason:

In real life, when you aim or crouch, standing up straight to run and/or lowering your iron sights is done without thinking. It is a natural, instinctual action. When you aim or crouch, you have to "hold" that position. Crouching takes more effort than standing (at least for me since I'm tall), and aiming takes more effort than not aiming.

Now, I set my controls to hold the button for aim/iron sights and crouch. Let's say I am crouched and have your iron sights up and scanning for targets...OH NOES, A GRENADE!!! GET THE F OUT OF THERE!!! Instantly, I am able to let go these buttons without a thought and sprint out of there. Those that have to toggle their iron sights and crouch have two extra actions to complete/think about before running away. To me, this is slower and less efficient. And that's not the only situation where this is applicable. Taking enemy fire is another instance where my control scheme comes in handy. I believe that my setup of holding down a button for certain actions is more fluid, faster, and closer to real life than toggling those buttons.

Maybe with practice, toggling iron sights and crouch can be instinctual, but I still think my way is faster and will always be more intuitive to me. Holding a button for iron sights doesn't seem to hinder my aim, and I've used both toggle (Killing Floor) and non-toggle/hold (RO 1 & 2) before.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
While I always use toggles for crouching, prone and iron sights, I think people should have a choice. Some are comfortable with toggling, some are not.
So to answer: Would you like Non-toggles as well as Toggles question, I say: yeah, both are necessary.

And I don't quite understand people that voted against the idea. "Holding" keys for certain activities wouldn't affect them in any way, but would make other people comfortable. So why kill the idea?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But imagine the amounts of whining from the "vets" when you can get into/out of the sights more effectively.

As long as it isn't HL2 level of enter/exit IS speed, I'm sure us "vets" will be happy :) I personally gain no benefit from using hold keys instead of toggles - these claims of hold being "more efficient" etc. are unfounded and slightly faulty to say the least :) People seem to forget that the key press isn't the only factor to consider - the ingame models still require time to "un-crouch" leave ironsights, so any efficiency gained (which would be incredibly small anyway) is immediately lost because you still have to wait for the action itself to finish. Switching to hold crouch doesn't mean you immediately stand up with the pace of a ninja on speed :)

Upvote 0
For those of you that don't understand how holding a button is better than toggling it, this is my reason:

In real life, when you aim or crouch, standing up straight to run and/or lowering your iron sights is done without thinking. It is a natural, instinctual action. When you aim or crouch, you have to "hold" that position. Crouching takes more effort than standing (at least for me since I'm tall), and aiming takes more effort than not aiming.

Now, I set my controls to hold the button for aim/iron sights and crouch. Let's say I am crouched and have your iron sights up and scanning for targets...OH NOES, A GRENADE!!! GET THE F OUT OF THERE!!! Instantly, I am able to let go these buttons without a thought and sprint out of there. Those that have to toggle their iron sights and crouch have two extra actions to complete/think about before running away. To me, this is slower and less efficient. And that's not the only situation where this is applicable. Taking enemy fire is another instance where my control scheme comes in handy. I believe that my setup of holding down a button for certain actions is more fluid, faster, and closer to real life than toggling those buttons.

Maybe with practice, toggling iron sights and crouch can be instinctual, but I still think my way is faster and will always be more intuitive to me. Holding a button for iron sights doesn't seem to hinder my aim, and I've used both toggle (Killing Floor) and non-toggle/hold (RO 1 & 2) before.

Sprint cancels IS, your argument is invalid. :p

Upvote 0
As long as it isn't HL2 level of enter/exit IS speed, I'm sure us "vets" will be happy :) I personally gain no benefit from using hold keys instead of toggles - these claims of hold being "more efficient" etc. are unfounded and slightly faulty to say the least :)
People who perfected the aiming down sights with the hold option in COD will make you cry, I promise.

They stay in the IS for a split second and get perfect acuracy, shoot and then leave IS with 100% peripheral vision again.

For this action in the current mode you will practically have to double click the right mouse button and that just doesnt work as well.

Upvote 0
Its pretty sad that a pc exclusive game forces everyone to play with toggled crouch. Every PC FPS game i've ever played was not toggle on the crouch as standard unless specified otherwise. I shouldn't have to use ini tweaks that may also bug up other stuff for basic controls. Toggle iron sights is also not my preference, just because holding the key is what i'm used to from every other game with iron sights, including Ostfront

Upvote 0
People who perfected the aiming down sights with the hold option in COD will make you cry, I promise.

I don't play COD - and we're talking about RO2 after all :) I don't doubt that in games with super-quick scopes/IS, there's a difference - but RO2 is not those games. I mentioned HL2 scope speed as my example - RO2 is never going to be like that. As I said - in RO2 it isn't just the keypress, it's the action of moving from a crouched position to a standing position. If hold keys were implemented, they'd have to stick to this rule - it'd be silly to do otherwise.

So, having two side-by-side and simultaneously releasing crouch on one, and un-toggling crouch on the other, while doing no other actions - the two have to end the crouch and go to standing in exactly the same times, or balance suffers. We can't have that in a game like RO2 :) And this is not the RO vet in me speaking - it's simply a desire for a nicely balanced game with a (mostly) even playing field. Having disparity between control choices is only good for those who wish to have an advantage before they even start, and games really shouldn't be catering to those types :)

Upvote 0
This is SUCH an ABSOLUTELY silly thing to deny. Why would you NOT have an option to make gameplay more comfortable for different players??!! It's not replacing the current scheme. It's adding another control to select INSTEAD of the current toggle scheme. I'm sure it's like 1 line of coding. Why on Earth would you down vote this? If you don't want to use this control setup then just don't select it. This would be a VERY simple thing to implement and would be a great thing to have people play the way they want to. I know that I prefer non-toggle while playing Killing Floor and it's beyond me why, the makers of KF, didn't put in the same sort of control in this case. :confused::confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sure it's like 1 line of coding.

Almost nothing is 1 line of coding :)

I'm actually quite surprised at the number of "no" votes here. I'm personally all for having options, as long as they don't take too long to implement. I've posted here only to debunk the claims of "hold crouch is faster" - and I definitely have no problem with allowing choices and options.

To repeat shadowmoses' question - why ARE so many people voting no for this? Maybe it's the same thing as everyone who uses the damn post down-voting system - i.e., they think that voting no is saying "I'm not really bothered", rather than the actual meaning of "I don't want these added". Or maybe the poll is just a bit screwey, I don't know :) heh

Reactions: shadowmoses
Upvote 0