• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tiger turret turn footage

The real general rule of thumb is to keave the close quarters villages to the Panzer IVs and Panthers even (to deal with those damn T-34s). The Tigers and StuGs are the ones that go out in the open fields and do battle. To me that is the general rule at least, I've been immobilized in one of the villages in Arad before and had been stuck in font of a building overlooking the field and the town, and infantry outmanoevred me easily because the thing moves too slow. So use it where it's effective!

Upvote 0
Dude, get over it, the tiger in game goes the historic speed. It sounds like WWIIOL forums here with the Tiger tank. That tiger was moving and had high engine speed. Can you imagine the whining if they put in real engine speed. Solo players would have a 2 minute 360 roataion speed, and even then, its whether the game engine can handle the different turret speed issues.

Upvote 0
the reason the tiger isnt as effective as it was in real life is just because the maps are large enough. The tiger in RL would have a 500m+ headstart at shooting the other tanks, he could start at 1000m the russians had to wait for 500m. In this game all the shots are within 500m so the tiger is at a disadvantage.

Upvote 0
malice said:
the reason the tiger isnt as effective as it was in real life is just because the maps are large enough. The tiger in RL would have a 500m+ headstart at shooting the other tanks, he could start at 1000m the russians had to wait for 500m. In this game all the shots are within 500m so the tiger is at a disadvantage.
Actually it was 1500 meters from where people would come into Tiger range... And the tiger was within penetration range of 1,000 meters from the T34/85 (from the front). The IS2 could penetrate the tiger from all around at 1,000 meters+. Almost right with your measurements. About the farthest distance you will find on Arad will be about 1,000 meters (the tiger is vulnerable at that range to the IS2 and t34/85).

Upvote 0
Ghad said:
Is it feasible for the game engine to produce even bigger maps? :)

I seem to remember reading somewhere in the forums that the max draw distance for the Unreal Engine is 2 km - after that it just doesn't render anything. However, the Perekop map made for the Summer Offensive contest was several square kilometers in size, I'd guess it was an order of magnitude larger than Arad. The one problem with that though is that there just aren't enough people to populate a map that big, you had tanks from both sides driving around for 10 minutes without seeing anyone else :p.

What would be nice is a map similar in size to Perekop, but narrow, so that both sides have to advance linearly towards each other. Might work for a Kursk map, since the terrain is a series of ridges and valleys with a handful of trees and small woods. A Tiger could sit up on a hill and hit T-34s cresting the ridges, but while they're down in the valleys they'ed be safe.

Upvote 0
kfnguy2 said:
Actually it was 1500 meters from where people would come into Tiger range... And the tiger was within penetration range of 1,000 meters from the T34/85 (from the front). The IS2 could penetrate the tiger from all around at 1,000 meters+. Almost right with your measurements. About the farthest distance you will find on Arad will be about 1,000 meters (the tiger is vulnerable at that range to the IS2 and t34/85).

Does the IS2 HE have any penetration ability. It has an insane ability to penetrate armor for an HE shell if I remember correctly.

Upvote 0
That is actually an important point wokelly.

The Russians had AP shells that removed a lot of steel in place of explosive, which diminshed their pentrative performance over range compared to German shot of an equal, or even lesser, caliber.

The thing is though, when such a shell does penetrate, it has far more lethal effect than a standard shot, so it is kind of a give and take situation.

The Russians also suffered for much of the war without proper ballistic and piercing caps, so many times their shots crumbled without penetrating.

All of these factors would be interesting to take into account in future updates to the tank engine.

Upvote 0
Jack said:
That is actually an important point wokelly.

The Russians had AP shells that removed a lot of steel in place of explosive, which diminshed their pentrative performance over range compared to German shot of an equal, or even lesser, caliber.

The thing is though, when such a shell does penetrate, it has far more lethal effect than a standard shot, so it is kind of a give and take situation.

The Russians also suffered for much of the war without proper ballistic and piercing caps, so many times their shots crumbled without penetrating.

All of these factors would be interesting to take into account in future updates to the tank engine.
Well if that's the case then we should have tiger's malfunctioning left and right. :)

Upvote 0
At least members of the development team interact with their customers. I know like all media it's a work in progress, but I hope they can avoid some of the alienation that has been caused by the developers of Il-2. The running joke on the forums for that flight sim is "another two weeks" because every patch seemed to take 2 weeks plus another 20.

Upvote 0
[RO]Wilsonam said:
And - "yes" - we will be implementing more detail on turret rotation (i.e. dependent on engine RPM for some tanks) as we go...

Erm, which brings up the clutch question... can you disengage the clutch and rev the engine to spin the turret faster while sitting still... or do you have to be moving? Of course that would involve the concept of gears and a manual clutch =P

Upvote 0
Perk

Bump - yes you would have do the clutch thing.

Also Its the same deal with the panther turret speed was dependent on egine speed as the turret traverse gearbox was connected trough the drive train for the tank. i.e. the gearbox for the turret traverse was in the centre of the hull and was connected to the engine by the main propshaft.

I will try to find some pictures.

Upvote 0