• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

L4d vs l4d2 vs kf

Flogger23m

Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2009
Thinking of getting getting two copies of either L4D or L4D2 or KF.

This will be for my friend and I to play co-op together - keep in mind she is not good at harder games (RO, GRAW).

I played the demo of L4D long ago and liked it. I think it can be a lot of fun for both of us. But how does it compare to L4D2? They currently cost the same.

KF looks good to, but if someone can highlight the good points of the different series that would be helpful.

If she's not very good at harder games I'd recommend L4D or L4D2. KF is really quite difficult for a casual gamer, especially with the ranking system. Heck, I'm not even a casual gamer and I suck at KF at anything higher than Normal difficulty. I'm a casual KF player, I don't play it very often. I wish KF wasn't so focused on leveling / grinding. It could be a bit more casual-friendly. It's not fun to die over and over again and spawn with nothing but a puny pistol.:(

I know it has Normal difficulty, which is perfect for my skills, but not keeping the weapon that you died with after respawning is kind of a bad design decision IMO. And you don't spawn with a good weapon unless you have a high rank. Once you die during wave 4 or 5, you might as well disconnect because there's no way you'll survive with nothing but the 9mm. Sure, teammates can give dosh or weapons but that rarely happens.

So yeah, one of the L4D's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you're gonna like, play for some random hour get L4D2. I won't lie, it's great fun with a friend or two.

If you're gonna play more often and are willing to go through a learning curve (most important thing to learn is that you expect to get raped) you get KF. Simples. KF is for the hardcore. :p

Upvote 0
I would get L4D2 as its L4D but with knobs on.Me and a couple of mates have had more laughs playing the L4D series than any other Co Op game for a long time.You can start playing and then the others can drop in and carry on,you can leave the game for a for mins and you go idle but the you can carry on once you come back.
KF floor we played for about 4 hours before we both got bored.

Play a game which is fun(L4D) in which you actually progress through the story or a boring repetitive game(KF) which has no point.In which you just spawn on a map and then finish that map and then re spawn on a new map.boring.
Simples mate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To be honest, I beleive that L4D is very anti-lulz if anything if you look how it forces people to play.

KF is more sandboxy and as long as the players are interacting, it's a very funny game to play even with its inclusion of, idk what you wanna call it, "Passive dark humour?" (It's not in your face, but it's always there and the comedy comes from things like a squeaky-voiced gingerbread man impaling someone with a candy cane).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I coached a female on both KF and L4D. She was much better at KF and enjoyed it more. Here's why: KF you don't need to know where to go since all you have to do is either A)follow your squad or B)follow the glowing path straight to the trader. You also don't need to react as quickly and specifically to different types of monsters. KF is still tense but you have more time to react whereas one small lag behind in L4D and you're easily swarmed and dead.

Reactions: Fedorov
Upvote 0
personally i'd be tempted to have a go at KF first, and if it fails try l4d2.

although this might be expensive if she doesnt get on with KF, at leas it's the cheaper option and if it works out then you save money.

If i'm being honest, having only played the demos, i'd still expect either l4d to be a safer option - KF is much better for us more hardcore gun lovers who like a challange - but we can't presume it would appeal to the casual gamer, who may prefer l4d's gloss and lack of precision.

however, if deep down she's a proper gamer girl ( but not quite to the extent of RO and graw which are very unforgiving experiences) then you could unlock this with the KF experience, who knows.

And I don't know about the other games but if you join servers with others there can be some good banter on KF, and the girls i play with really enjoy it.

Upvote 0
Looks like we will go with L4D 1 or 2.

We're looking for something we can just play for 1 hour or so for some easy fun. Not looking for something hardcore or unforgiving. For the moment, we have RO and GRAW for that. :)

Thanks for the responses so far, especially Nimsky.

May aswell strike L4D off the list, seeing as it was made completely obsolete with the release of L4D2.

Mind telling me why? Better features? Better weapons?

Only reason I am considering L4D1 is because from screenshots, I like the darker maps more in it. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Only reason I am considering L4D1 is because from screenshots, I like the darker maps more in it. :p

I'm with you there. I've only played the demo for the sequel but I own the original and I prefer that. The setting, the characters, and the atmosphere is far better imo. L4D2 does however have more weapons and game modes I believe. I also still have a grudge against L4D2 coming out so soon and stealing the community and investment so many players thought they were getting with the original. And some will say but L4D2 is so cheap now but I still wouldn't even want it for free.

Upvote 0
Thanks for bringing that up.

How many players are there for all of these games?

We would like to be able to get an extra person or two in our game quickly. I would imagine playing with bots = you die and constantly fail.

Can't say for sure as I don't play L4D. KF has a stable community, plenty of servers and players to get a game going. Standard games you can perk up in servers with X/6 players, there are also mod servers that have their own perk systems unique to their server or go up past 6 max players.

Also KF doesn't have bots(Unless you use a mod but bots are bots(Bots suck)), instead the game adjusts depending on current players. More players means more zombies and more health for enemies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0