• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

windows 7 help please

I don't know if you can go 32 to 64 bit easily.

I can't recall exactly, but I know it required a full windows install going from Vista32 to Win7 64. Everything (all programs) had to be reinstalled.

My advice, would be to buy a new hard drive (they're cheap now) and do a fresh install. Then you can add programs as you need them. If you need something pronto, reboot from your current HD.

Floyd

Upvote 0
I don't know if you can go 32 to 64 bit easily.
No, you must do a 'clean' install, and reinstall all of your applications, etc.

My advice, would be to buy a new hard drive (they're cheap now) and do a fresh install. Then you can add programs as you need them. If you need something pronto, reboot from your current HD.
Just be sure you are aware this violates your MS EULA...

Upvote 0
How so? I've bought and paid for both versions...
That is how their EULA is written. I had my counsel review it, and get clarification from MS (in my case, it was for virtualized copies running on Windows for non-business machines.)

You cannot install multiple copies from the same 'license' for consumer / retail Windows: even putting two copies of the same purchased Windows on the same PC but different hard drives is considered a violation of the EULA by MS. Same with running a virtual machine with a copy of the 'same' Windows, and even native-boot VHD copies. I run heavy virtualized development, and MS requires that I have a license for each 'copy', even if it is for personal, non-enterprise use. At least my enterprise / server Windows includes licenses for virtualizing...

Goofy, but that's the result of a watered-down version of their business/enterprise licensing. I've never heard of them going after individuals over this, but I'm not going to be the first :eek:. Even MS support techs are unclear on this - in the past, they OK'd virtualizing the same copy on the same machine, and gave me new keys when my install limits were reached (often when developing...)

If a consumer needs to have multiple copies on the same PC in one of the mentioned scenarios, the 'family pack' is probably the cheapest way to do this, and gets you 3 Home Premium licenses for ~$45 each. No native-VHD boot with that and other lesser versions, but few consumers need that anyway.

Doing a clean install of 64-bit and removing the 32-bit install is fine by the EULA, of course.

Rob

Upvote 0
I still don't see how I'm in violation.

I purchased a retail copy of Vista 32.
Several years later, I purchased a retail copy of Win 7 64 bit.
One is on hard drive 0 and the other on hard drive 1.

But you're telling me that Microsoft objects to me buying multiple copies of their software and running them on a single machine? I'm not the sharpest tack in the pack, but I'm quite sure Bill Gates didn't get to be bazzillionaire by being moronic.......;)

I've often buy new copies of Windows when I upgrade my computer. Often times I'll buy a cheap box, put together a computer with my cast off parts and give it to the local school. They get a legitimately licensed copy of Windows to go with it.

**edit** Ah, I see where the confusion may be coming from. I used the word 'version' when I perhaps 'copy' would have been correct? I guess I wasn't aware that the 32 and 64 bit versions come together and in the same box now?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
**edit** Ah, I see where the confusion may be coming from. I used the word 'version' when I perhaps 'copy' would have been correct? I guess I wasn't aware that the 32 and 64 bit versions come together and in the same box now?
Yes, the media for Win 7 actually has all the versions of Windows 7 on it...

Perhaps the confusion is mine - the original message said the OP had installed 32-bit windows 7, and wanted to 'upgrade' it to the 64-bit version, wherein someone suggested just installing the 64-bit version on a different drive. If done with the same purchased copy (key actually to be precise), that violates the EULA. One MS consumer windows license = 1 install on one machine.

Sorry if I muddied the waters :eek:

Edit: Ahh just re-read the thread and I see where we got muddled - your case is fine, Floyd, since you had Vista and Win 7. The OP's case of just Win 7, following the suggestion of installing the 64-bit alongside the 32-bit on the same PC from the same copy is where a violation would occur.

Rob

Last edited:
Upvote 0