• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hope we can turn scoreboards off completely

NoxNoctum

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2007
As a server option of course... I know many have brought this up already but didn't see a thread dedicated to it so... ya.

We already know we'll have the options of turning death messages entirely off, but that's kinda pointless if we can't turn the scoreboard off (EVEN IF, there's a delay).

Be nice for options to have scoreboard on like normal, scoreboard with kill points delay (ala Project Reality), scoreboard only shown at end of round, and scoreboard not showing at all (my favorite, because it would lead to people being more concerned about winning+teamplay then boosting their kill count)

I agree and would like to see different scoreboard options as well.
-Default (score is updated in real time for both sides)
-Own team only (score is updated in real time for your side, you do not see the score of the enemy, only their names in alphabetical order)
-Delayed (score is updated with a delay, that can be set in the server options)
-Delayed own team only (score is updated with a delay, enemy teams score not visible)
-Individual only (you only see your own score, own team can only be viewed by name and class, enemy team only names)
-Names only (you can only see the names of players in the scoreboard, sorted alphabetically. No classes)
-Disabled (the button does only show server information, player count and distribution over the two sides)

There could be more, or they could be combined from more general options. It's just a cost-benefit problem how much effort can be put into this, before it's getting ridiculous.

Upvote 0
To be honest, I'm somewhat a fan of the scoreboard not for e-peen reasons, but it shows when a teammate needs to switch roles.

For example: A sniper on your team has gotten only 2 points in the last 3 minutes. He is obviously a bad sniper (or the other team is keeping him locked down, which is rare). The snipers only job is to eliminate (key) targets and he is not doing that. The scoreboard shows us that.

I do understand why some people don't like it but it makes identifying teammates (and their roles) much easier. It also makes tk'ers easier to notice (they will be in the negatives).

I'm sorta leaning towards nay.

Upvote 0
Turn off completely? No. You don't have to look at it, why the hell would you ruin it for those people who DO want to see their score? I play OSt and I try to use TW as muc has possible, I don't care about kills and what ever, but I do like too look at my score, it is nice to know how you are doing. Simple solution, you don't press the score board button. Everyone wins.

P.S. I think how ever, that scoreboards should not show Kills and deaths, just points like in Ost.

Upvote 0
Turn off completely? No. You don't have to look at it, why the hell would you ruin it for those people who DO want to see their score? I play OSt and I try to use TW as muc has possible, I don't care about kills and what ever, but I do like too look at my score, it is nice to know how you are doing. Simple solution, you don't press the score board button. Everyone wins.

P.S. I think how ever, that scoreboards should not show Kills and deaths, just points like in Ost.

You must have missed the part where I said it be a SERVER SIDE OPTION :rolleyes:

It affects gameplay significantly... I've played a few times on a German DH server where there is no scoreboard and people JUST PLAY DIFFERENTLY. Because there are no e-penis points to be gained, they work as a team to win.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For example: A sniper on your team has gotten only 2 points in the last 3 minutes. He is obviously a bad sniper (or the other team is keeping him locked down, which is rare). The snipers only job is to eliminate (key) targets and he is not doing that. The scoreboard shows us that

I dont understand? Surely a Sniper's Key targets are other Snipers and Mg gunners, and as I recollect each team has 1 sniper and 2 Mg gunners so for that Sniper to get 2 kills in 3 minutes means hes killed possibly 2 of the 3 key targets?

Most notable WW2 Snipers at the most knocked up 10 kills a day, so 2 kills in 3 minutes is pretty good going. Honestly, Snipers in RO are nothing more than skilled marksmen as they operate too closely with the infantry to be lone wolfs.

Sturm

Upvote 0
I'd like to see it display "effectiveness" instead of a score. It would be based on a combination of things like how well the player is following orders (or giving them if a squad leader), their proximity to/time spent in capzones and other teammates, effectiveness in boosting their team's and reducing the enemy's morale, and skill in weapon usage (accuracy, and frequency of kills, etc), and then calculates how effective that player is at helping their team win the battle, and displays this as a percentage.

The only thing is the critera for snipers/mgs might have to be different to assault/riflemen, because they require a completely different style of play, and would usually rate a low effectiveness score if calculated in the same way as riflemen and assault.

Another positive (at least to me) is that if a player switches teams, their effectiveness would have to be reset to zero.

Reactions: NoxNoctum
Upvote 0
You must have missed the part where I said it be a SERVER SIDE OPTION :rolleyes:

It affects gameplay significantly... I've played a few times on a German DH server where there is no scoreboard and people play JUST PLAY DIFFERENTLY. Because there are no e-penis points to be gained, they work as a team to win.

What server are you referring to btw?

Upvote 0
What server are you referring to btw?

Franzkeizer or something like that. Unfortunately they now have a scoreboard, but no deathmessages still. I'm guessing because they weren't getting enough traffic. But yes, it was very fun the few times I got to play on their server when it was full up 50 people and no scoreboard/death messages. Felt much more realistic, and people played more realistically.

Reactions: Hans Ludwig
Upvote 0
To be honest, I'm somewhat a fan of the scoreboard not for e-peen reasons, but it shows when a teammate needs to switch roles.

For example: A sniper on your team has gotten only 2 points in the last 3 minutes. He is obviously a bad sniper (or the other team is keeping him locked down, which is rare). The snipers only job is to eliminate (key) targets and he is not doing that. The scoreboard shows us that.

I do understand why some people don't like it but it makes identifying teammates (and their roles) much easier. It also makes tk'ers easier to notice (they will be in the negatives).

I'm sorta leaning towards nay.

Agreed, i also look at the scoreboard allot, to see if the teams are even, how certain people are doing and how my/other people's ping is...

Reactions: Stormer
Upvote 0
Agreed, i also look at the scoreboard allot, to see if the teams are even, how certain people are doing and how my/other people's ping is...

Well again, there's nothing wrong with having a "scoreboard" that shows only player names and pings (and that "effectiveness" idea sounded pretty cool)... but again I said all this should be SERVER SIDE OPTIONs.

You don't have to play WITHOUT a scoreboard that doesn't show score, or even one with delay, but I'd like the option to.

Upvote 0
Im in favour of Having a Scoreboard, however why not just remove the scores? i.e Names move up and down depending on how many points they have but theres no determining how many points difference there is between player A and player B.

This way people can check:

Pings
No. of Players
Balance of Teams

And not:

Exact scores

Sturm

Upvote 0