• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design A bunch of questions

Spanky

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 27, 2010
I hope this is the place to post this, it seems the most relevant here. I'm obviously new here, I've never played Killing Floor but I'm curious about mapping for it. For a couple years now, me and a few other people have been playing around with America's Army v2.5 and while it's fun and I enjoy the engine, the community sucks. We've done a lot of great things but nobody cares and it's kinda difficult to properly distribute the maps since the dev's don't approve of it and it's an old version.

I'm wondering if this is totally opposite for Killing Floor?
How receptive are the users of custom maps?
How hard is it to make and distribute maps for people to play? (& what's whitelisting?)

Me and my group's work: http://maappack.com
Video: YouTube - America's Army: Pipeline Redesign [Build 20100720]
For those that have seen/played America's Army, how do you think my skills compare with this game and the custom maps available here?

Well, the community is really thankful for every map they can get.
It's net really hard to distribute maps. Simply posting here is enough i guess.
And the whitelist: You don't need the whitelist to play you map. However you cannot level you perks there. To get you map on the list, you simply need to post it in the "Get you map on the whitelist" thread. There it will be tested for exploits and so on. If it passes, it will get on the list. If not, you must fix it ^^

Upvote 0
To be honest, I do not like America's Army. And as far as I know, the people I know that play it, only play it because it is free.

If America's Army is using the same mapping tool, I do not see why you shouldn't be able to map for Killing Floor. But I think you should first play a little, level one perk to the max, and get to know the game a little.

In order to design a level and adapt it to game play, you should be familiar with the game.

Whitelisted maps are maps, on which players can level and use their perks.
Blacklisted maps are maps, on which players can not level and use their perks, but can still play them. Maps are being blacklisted because of exploits.. (for example, if you can find a place where ZEDs can't touch you, and just farm your way up to the max level)

I think your maps look really good, and I do not see why you should not be able to map for Killing Floor. You should be able to use your skills. Heck, I have been only mapping for gldsource and Source, and I already enjoy and am able to use my experience in the Unreal Editor.

I suggest you first play the game :)

Upvote 0
Hello everyone. I'm one of Spanky's mates and I, too, am very interested in understanding what takes to map for Killing Floor, and whether or not the community holds a strong and supportive foundation to any game variations there might be. When you map, and put time to perfecting and trimming maps up, so naturally, you want to know someone's going to play it. The humble question is, is this the kind of open-minded community where you'd get that kind of behaviour and interest from its players? We came from a AA historical background, and have experienced a poorly displayed interest from the community. I'm just making sure it won't live to experience that ratio of frustration anymore. Playing on the safe side, if you will.

Cheers,
Klaasillu

Upvote 0
the community here is VERY supportive. we love new maps, and what the whitelisting process is, basically, is you make a map, and people check it out to make sure its not a leveling map, and doesnt have exploits that allow people to just sit there and grind away to raise perks.
if you have questions about how to do certain things using kf's actors, just ask. no question too small will get answered easily, or its already been answered previously (it might take a bit to search though)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sure Spanky will have his fair deal of questions, but I'l refrain for now. I do have one question, though. Is Zombies all you can play against/kill in KF? Coming from AA, I am somewhat curious as to whether the implementation of soldiers as your enemies is fiable and doable.

Thanks in advance,
Klaasillu

Upvote 0
Wow, the amount of responses show that there's significant community interest and help. Thanks for all the direct replies :)

I do plan to play the game a bit to actually know what I'm doing. But, the version of AA I worked on, it used Unreal 2.5 so it should be a seamless transfer except for slight changes and of course actors.

I heard that all you need to do to distribute a map is upload it to the server and when people connect they automatically download the map?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Well, I think I'll keep messing around then and see what comes of it. You guys will probably see me around here a bit more as time goes on.

Consider this a teaser of what's to come:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/464376/headshot/Capture4.PNG
Capture4.PNG

Upvote 0