• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation StuG III Ausf. E

It has about 8740 tris. But there are several things on this mesh which wouldn't be in the RO version or could be removed, like some of the spare wheels and other extras. Also, the telescopic sights on the Commander's hatch would be removed, this would bring down the tris to ~8500.
It's a shame about the steroscopic range finder having to go, but I don't think the commander could close the hatch on them anyway.

I'm intrested in the holes directly above the drivers view slit. What were they for? Another range finder? You'd have to be a hammerhead shark to have eyes this far apart.
p906812115c.jpg

Upvote 0
How many times I must tell you that I like this vehicle? I always liked design of those early StuGs with short cannon. I'm not trying you to tell that StuG E was needless to make. And that argument about there are more important tanks to make its a just truth if you don't understand it thats your problem. Read my 22th post and maybe you'll understand it that there are a lot of tanks with more abillities than only support of infantry.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showpost.php?p=309584&postcount=22

Fair enough- but the only tank that 'needs' to be made, if any, is probably a Russian option to counter the Tiger until the arrival of the 85, eg the su122, and i think it's being made anyway (sure you'll say they were only assault guns, agreed, but they were still effective and the 1st tank destroyers weren't around until late 43 anyway)

However enough of this, It's not the place - discussion about what tanks would be 'better' than this fine stug is definately pissing on Cpt obvious's picnic, so back on topic-
In Ro Germans hardly need anymore anti armour capability IMO- which is why as Ger additions go, this is a particularly good choice, nice idea.
And it doesn't take me to say it's a slick work- you've got guys from the mods asking if you want to help them.

Upvote 0
It has about 8740 tris. But there are several things on this mesh which wouldn't be in the RO version or could be removed, like some of the spare wheels and other extras. Also, the telescopic sights on the Commander's hatch would be removed, this would bring down the tris to ~8500.

That is what Lex and I were afraid of. The 'actual' count is usually much higher than what most guys count on. It will and could come down a lot more. As in another post about the Russian assault guns, once you get more than a few feet away many of the 'extras' fade out and you can't tell if it is texture or model polys. Much better to go lower if possible. Consult with Lex if you want some of his "to-game" tips.

Upvote 0
i didnt real all 4 pages so i might have missed it but are you gonna add the Fla-MG? imo it should be added to all stugs ingame but yours could inspire the twi to add one to their stug aswell :)

oh forgot to say that i really like the model and textures

but i am too lazy to check for inaccuracies right now so potential whining has to wait

Upvote 0
Captain Obvious good job on the optimization man, and awsome lookign tank man I cant wait to use it ;). Btw slyk Look at this i managed to chunk off lots of the ISU 152 it is now at 6416 :D Btw all it needs is for me to fix the unwrap and finish the interior pieces then unwrap then ill get the skin on it... So yeah is ready for when ever you guys want it .

isu142loweredtomaxfs1.jpg

Upvote 0
Now with the tris count under 6000, you may try adding back a couple boxes on the rear deck. Keep the basic forms and texture the hinges, bands, locks onto them. That should be very low poly add ons for some nice eye candy.

As for the beat up skin, I like it mainly due to the fact that the Germans in '41 were totally unprepared for winter down to no white paint. So you could theorized that the paint they used went on thin or was of lower quality when made up of local prodcuts etc. I like it as is.

Upvote 0
its a shame you had to remove all the gear in the back :(

maybe you could give it a more custom look, and save some poly's in the same occasion by covering the back with a sheet?
its also a shame those periscopic binoculars had to go, isnt it possible to keep them and not allowing the hatch to close?

I'm going to do a major overhaul of both the mesh and texture work. I really do want to have the rear gear, as it gives the StuG a level of 'personality' as well as history. Keeping those periscopic binoculars depends more on the animator I think, if they can find a way to use them I will keep them too. When the commander unbottons, the scopes can raise out of the supersctructure along with the camera perhaps.

I plan to do two textures, this winter one (which will be re-done) and I also want to make a Dark Grey version for any Summer maps.

If any mappers want to use this StuG in there map, they can request specific textures and I can try to work on them; like If you want a particular unit symbol or specific camo pattern for a theatre or battle, let me know. The "L

Upvote 0