• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Zoom system

SQBsam

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
Australia
Firstly, this is concerning the Classic beta, if this should be in the feedback section, I apologise (although to me it seems more like an idea). The zoom system at the moment is a little clunky and immersion-breaking. Even in classic the zoom in and loss of sensitivity can be annoying. The problems with the current system are:

- No ability to tell the game you DON'T want to zoom in, making CQB hard.
- IS (abbreviation for ironsight) automatically reduces sensitivity to the option set in the menu, this is good for ranged combat but not for CQB (again).

My proposal: NO zoom (at all!) when IS, allowing seamless CQB (this includes the sensitivity, which would not be changed). The shift key now zooms to the classic zoom level (as currently happens when IS) and also reduces sensitivity.

We had a bit of discussion on the beta server and this seamed to appease everybody. TWI and community, do you have any input?

You can control the amount of zoom you get when you go iron sights.

Look for this in your games ROGame.ini

I have it turned off (notice zero value) for the SMG and rifles and I have it turned on for the MG (well anything with a bipod).

IronSightZoomScaleSMG=0.000000
IronSightZoomScaleRifle=0.000000
IronSightZoomScaleBipod=1.000000

You can mess around with the value to adjust how much, or in my case how little you want.

Upvote 0
Lately I'm finding rather easy to hit with just iron sights, even at long distances, without zoom at all. Possibly due to the antilag mutator?

Anyway, the zoom thing is something i can easily live without, even with mg and everything else. In RL (if we want realism) no zoom were allowed at all :rolleyes:

Only (always for realisim and i don't thave the slightest idea about how hard would be to put in the game) we could have a de-blur (miss the right word for that i'm afraid :( ) on the target the longer we aim at it (stationary target i mean) and, of course, to a certain degree. This has nothing to do with zoom, it just gets the image (think of an enemy mgunner which is at 200mt far away, sort of a light brown (russian) spot down there. If you try to focus your eyes a bit, it gets clearer (for having headshot for example) I repeat, probably it's not worth the effort, but that's what you get in RL (with good eyes :p)

Upvote 0
i think the zoom is justified, the fov decreases a bit, so what?. irl most people have to close one eye to aim properly without seeing double, that also reduces the fov (it is possible to aim a pistol with both eyes open, but it's hard to maintain a stable image while moving around, try it! some people can do it pretty well, but most have to close one eye for best results. with rifles it's nearly impossible, because the notch is pretty close to the eye compared to a full arms length of the pistols notch) when you concentrate on the bead of a rifle the peripheral vision is being limited, that's why i'm pro iron sight zoom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0