• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

You say its realistic???!!

Zell said:
All the more reason to remove scores entirely from this game. :/

The DM I can agree with, but no score? I don't agree.

This is still a game. I like to know who the better players are when I join a server. The only way I can tell that is by looking at the scoreboard.

Seeing that you score 10 points for capturing an objective, as opposed to a single point for a kill, it goes to follow that the high score people know what the hell they are doing AND are working to help win the GAME for their side. I like to hang out with those people when I play.

I'm beginning to think that those that get thier panties in a bunch about the scoreboard are upset that they aren't making it to the top of the list.

Upvote 0
Cripes, its not hard, if you dont like the server settings, find another server.. my idea of whats fun may very well be different from yours, thats why servers run different settings, so we can choose, and find one suited to our tastes.

No point arguing about it, opinion is not fact, you are not right, nor am i, or any of us, so quit sulking allready and go find a server you like.

Upvote 0
Harry S. Truman said:
The DM I can agree with, but no score? I don't agree.

This is still a game. I like to know who the better players are when I join a server. The only way I can tell that is by looking at the scoreboard.

Seeing that you score 10 points for capturing an objective, as opposed to a single point for a kill, it goes to follow that the high score people know what the hell they are doing AND are working to help win the GAME for their side. I like to hang out with those people when I play.

I'm beginning to think that those that get thier panties in a bunch about the scoreboard are upset that they aren't making it to the top of the list.
/\ /\ What he said...

Upvote 0
So what if its a little less realistic, the dam Death messages are fine, they let you know that you did something good for your team. Its fine if you dont like them, I just prefer them, but its really not that big of a deal.

I took out the anti French, not really the place for it, but I still dislike them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I personally am not a fun of DMs being off.

I think the DMs add to the fun, its great when you kill your arch nemesis of the map (13th/Limbo/93 with a grenade is always satisying for me!) or you see someone get 4 kills with one grenade!

I dont see the point in having the DMs off since its nearly always obvious you have killed someone, unless you are VERY far away.

I also think the scoreboard is important, the ones at the top are nearly always the ones actually trying to do the objectives! This hopefully will encourage new RO players to use tactics, instead of camping to get kills, and only getting half way up the scoreboard (if that).

--

However I respect server admins right to set up their servers the way they choose...if you dont like the configuration, dont play on the server, its really that simple. :rolleyes:

---

i've always liked the idea of removing scoring, and instead replacing it with a medal system, so the best performing players in their class all recieve medals.

Upvote 0
I like both, playing with DM on and off.

Sure it is fun to chuck a nade somewhere and see three enemies obliterated, but then, it is great fun too to throw a nade, and not knowing if you cleared the room before you enter it.

I just like how such small a change has quite an impact on how the game feels.

During a clan war though, I would dearly miss deathmessages, as they are a good way to determine what's happening on the battlefield without the need for your mates to constanly yell out how they are doing.

Upvote 0
radix said:
^yeah, this is the most annoying thing in the RO hud. Still i don't get it why the devs included such a bs in ro:eek:.
they said because they'd rather see a objective being fought over instead of just just 1 soldier unrealisticly sneaking in and capping a important objective.

now you dont need a few people being bored out of their minds during a clanwar sitting on objectives just incase a enemy might sneak in and cap.
if those objective are really that strategically important they i guess command has atleast someone keeping a eye on them, which is what that flash would represent.

not totaly realistic but neither is just 1 soldier capping a non-recap objective far behind enemy lines.

Upvote 0
The_Countess said:
not totaly realistic but neither is just 1 soldier capping a non-recap objective far behind enemy lines.

I find it perfectly realistic that one single soldier "controlls" an uncontested point... I don't find it realistic that the enemies magically know that this point is being capped. IMHO it really cripples the tactical possibilities, as the attackers can't make fake attacks on one side to allow some few to cap from behind
And also there is almost no tactical challange for the defending teaml, because you instanlty know what the attacker is up to. I liked it that you actually had to use manpower to get a complete overview of the battlefield. So you could decide if you concentrate on one point, or spread your troops to prevent those sneaky assaults, which might leave your main defense to weak...

Upvote 0
im just saying what they sayed.

but no it is definatly not realistic for one soldier to cap 1 non recap objective.
what is he going to do, magicly protect it so they defenders cant take controle of it anymore even if he's killed?

besides as soon as you see them capping and your not in the area, your probably to late anyway. you'd still need a sizeable force in the immediate area.
but now you dont HAVE to keep atleast one person in the cap zone at all time. they can all be outside it.
seems perfectly reasonable to me, and greatly expands your tactical possibilaties.

and fake attacks still work just as well as befor. if the enemy was stupid enough to draw away everybody from one side of the map to help defend another befor they they are stupid enough to do so now, and you'll walk over them eazily.
them knowing your capping a objective makes no difference.
any clan worth their name would keep atleast one person near the objectives anyway, and would therefor know you where comming long befor you actualy start capping.

Upvote 0
That list that I mentioned would make a great competition mod. Sure, in pub matches its fun to see who you are killing, you can joke around with each other and have silly rivalries...

but with clan/ladder matches, all of those extra tools they decided to throw in give waaaaay too much information, and actually make the game too easy.

I can sit in my capzone and watch the death messages, flip to the map with its blinking objectives, and keep an eye on the 'people in the capzone' bar, and know exactly whats going on, not only in the capzone I'm sitting in, but with the rest of the map as well.... all by myself. It's almost like anti-communication to have all of those tools in there.

My opinion is.. it takes away from how tight you need to be with the communication, because you used to have to rely on your teammates eyes to know certain battlefield information, but now it's all right there for you.

Then you combine that with the recent trend of non-recappable objectives, and now you've got a game where coordination and communication arent so necessary as they once were.

I dont need mates to tell me when and what objective is in danger. I dont need mates to tell me I'm in danger in my own capzone. I dont need anyone to tell me when that sniper or MG has been taken down, cause I can see it with the death message. When you combine all these things, I get a very clear picture of the current situation on the field, it's too much info.

Hell, maybe I just like a more difficult game. It seems hard enough for most as it is, but I could use that extra bit of immersion myself.

That comment from the devs about how they dont want so called 'sneaky' recapping makes zero sense to me. How is it anymore realistic that your team can cap an area on the battlefield, but the other army cant retake said area? This is a game of land ownership right? He who 'owns' all of the land within the battlefield wins... so why does an area 'blank out' after being capped, and how is that anymore 'real'?

Wasnt there times where these armies, in the real war, would fight over one city block worth of space for like weeks? Taking and retaking the area? Seems real enough to me to be able to retake previously 'owned' areas.

Upvote 0
Yeh that has always bugged me but I guess its down to the mapper.

I used to hate it in the mod when rounds would end way too quickly! So in a way being told which area is being capped has helped lengthen rounds & make this gaming much more enjoyable!

But one thing I find utterly baffling is the planted stachel message! Ive never found it useful & it just takes away the immersion :rolleyes:

Oh and btw I have calmed down from my rant, and will be staying away from servers who dont run dm. Thankfully there arent many :)

Upvote 0
REZ said:
Black screen during death
No Death Messages
No "People in the capzone" bar
No onscreen messages i.e. 'Satchel has been placed' type messages
No blinking objectives on map
worluk said:
and of course no blinking, screaming "they cap here", gps style, "i still dont know the map layout" overhead map:rolleyes:
OMG! OMG! Commie alert! Commie alert! Everytime you connect to this server it steals your precious bodily fluids!:eek::)

Upvote 0