• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

You actually LIKE Basovka?

Psycho_Sam said:
I think they should either place a limit on how many strikes you can place in a round or place a 'reload' time on it. In that period you cannot drop any more arty. That way its not constantly spammed.

It is limited. Its just that this particular map gives you so much of it you never run out unless the commander is VERY prolific with it.

The map is plenty wide enough to allow attacks past the arty'd area.

Upvote 0
The End said:
I think some people are starting to learn the basics of using artillery as a means of area denial... and learning why frontal assaults aren't strategically sound.

Unless it's an entrenched position, or you know the enemy is going to be staying in a particular area for a while, arty is not much use and an attempt to use it reactively is pretty pointless. If you know the route an enemy is going to take, or you can force them to take a certain route (possibly into an ambush or well defended position), then that is how I think artillery should be used. I have to admit, I'm very much in the infancy of my experience with artillery, but I think I have semi-intelligent ideas about how to use it effectively.

Upvote 0
There are two main approaches to using artillery in RO:

1. Hitting a static target/fixed enemy position to actively kill the enemy. This is not so favourable in RO, because it's most often used to kill defenders within the objective. This is usually achieved in the first or second salvo. After which it becomes area denial artillery... the problem being that you're the ones who need that area! This should only be used either to prevent enemies occupying a strong firing point, or only as a desperation measure on an objective, when the enemy is in a much stronger position to capture it than you. Doing this effectively evens the odds.
2. Area denial. See above. Used to prevent an area from being occupied. Using area denial on the area directly behind the objective is useful, as it prevents the enemy from taking the fastest route to the objective, whilst allowing you to do so relatively safely. This should be your main artillery strategy for most maps.

The above is only my own impressions from playing RO since the mod. I have no idea what the theory behind artillery usage is in the real world.

Upvote 0
Hi
1st thing basovka best map in game
2nd wheres a 24/7 basovka server i want it :D

Anyone who complains about the artillary is either really stupid or has no idea how wide the map is.

Ok its not the widest map but an arty barrage probably takes up about 1/4 of thw width maybe less.

Just go around it numpties or leg it at the beginning before the commander has a chance to put the arty grid ref down and call it in.

Also another reason I love this map is because people actually work as a team, the MG provides cover fire, the riflers dig in the trences and the snipers pick of stragglers.

Its a great map I love it as both german and ruskies, why cant all the maps be like Basovka

Infact im gunna go play basovka right now :D

Luke

Upvote 0
Dheepan said:
I think part of the reason is the faster pace to the maps in OST. Ponyri was a good 20-25 min map, that meant that the Russians could only have arty for about half the map. Afterwards it was favorable for the Germans with it's big open areas to advance on.

Wow it has been some time since I played Basovka/Ponyri in RO 3.x.

I never could remind those map names (except a few) anyway.

But now that I think back, Ponyri was more wide open then Basovka, man I mis this wide open space.
Flanking was great and no mine fields to worry.

As big as the tank maps are as small are the inf maps.
A little more space would have done the updated maps good.
I would love to play a unaltered Ponyri at ROO. :)

Upvote 0
Although I've never had THAT much a problem with the arties on Basovka, I dislike them in general. The one gripe I have with arties is the person who calls them gets all the credit for the kills. In Ponyri or Sevatopol I would snake around the trenches, flanking, surprising, and killing any opposing forces with my gun and blood, sweat and tears to get like 60 frags only to be the second best in my team because my commander called bunch of arties on them to get 70 frags with only 10 of them being actually using his gun. Of course it takes skill and intelligence to use arty effectively but it's definately on the cheap side.

While I'm at it, I'd like to say I'm not impressed by the new maps that much at all. It's not that they're bad maps, they're just not great. Merely average. I miss the old maps: Warsaw, Berlin, Jucha, Koitos, Danzig and some others. I do hope they make a return to Ostfront (without the nade spam!)

Upvote 0
Actually removing kills for arty might prevent it from being used incorrectly to "clear" objectives, ultimately preventing their own team from capping and losing valuable time (and also not killing players on lower floors....).

If they didnt get kills they might actually view it as tactical instead of offensive.

Upvote 0
Good point! But it's still annoying I work so hard and achieve "less". Maybe it's a good idea to let arties score only half the points so 4 kills would get you 2 points, rounded up at the end of the match. Or better yet, we need stats! Like what rostats .net used to be. There you can see who got how many kills with what weapon etc. Even better is instant stats at the end of a match.

Upvote 0
I love this map - but I do have to agree that the arty is very excessive. The last time I played it, it seemed as if the arty fell non-stop for the entire length of the rounds. I'd like to see what would happen if the next version would have about half of the arty strikes to make it imperative for it to be used wisely, instead of just a continuous ongoing barrage.

Regarding maneuvers, you have a massive arty barrage in the middle and attempt to flank to the sides. The Russians know this, so they setup their MG, sniper, and rifles to cover the little space not already shut down by arty.

When comparing this to the original Ponyri, Ponyri was more flexible because it was simply a huge map. There, flanking worked much better since there was more terrain and cover spread out over a larger area. I remember in the BFE matches, we'd have one entire squad to watch the left, another squad to watch the right, and a third in the trenches.

Basovka feels like it's the same length as Ponyri, but chopped down to half or even a third of the width as its predecessor - there's no way to go but straight into the teeth of the enemy. The Russians don't really need to spread out - all the enemy will be coming at them from within a 45 degree arc.

Upvote 0