• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

WWAUT - Upcoming Changes in the Second Beta

omano;n2320280 said:

Chill out and relax, man, it isn't that big of a deal really:
-Sure, you don't like the EDARs, but they aren't replacing the zeds, and TWI has stated that they are taking criticism and acting according to it to balance them and make 'em more enjoyable to fight (plus KF has always been -the retail one- heavily influenced by sci-fi). Damn, they aren't even present in most waves.
-Upgrades are being worked on, so to get so angry at TWI for a new system that is still in the works is not very reasonable I feel. And sure, you can say "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" or "no one asked for it", to what I'll say "but no one ever asked for the internet to be a thing neither", my point being that those mentalities stop any attempts at innovating or trying new things.

Sure, if the final version of the update gets released and is a total mess go ahead with the anger! but right now I don't think that that is a logical way to feel or express oneself, instead I'd give feedback to let 'em know about the technical problems with the beta.

Upvote 0
Reclusiarch;n2320311 said:
Chill out and relax, man, it isn't that big of a deal really:
-Sure, you don't like the EDARs, but they aren't replacing the zeds, and TWI has stated that they are taking criticism and acting according to it to balance them and make 'em more enjoyable to fight (plus KF has always been -the retail one- heavily influenced by sci-fi). Damn, they aren't even present in most waves.
-Upgrades are being worked on, so to get so angry at TWI for a new system that is still in the works is not very reasonable I feel. And sure, you can say "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" or "no one asked for it", to what I'll say "but no one ever asked for the internet to be a thing neither", my point being that those mentalities stop any attempts at innovating or trying new things.

Sure, if the final version of the update gets released and is a total mess go ahead with the anger! but right now I don't think that that is a logical way to feel or express oneself, instead I'd give feedback to let 'em know about the technical problems with the beta.

Yes sci-fi and GMO are a thing in KF, I even said "tweaked with technology" so yeah this is sci-fi. Aliens are sci-fi too, flying saucers, tomato killers, rubber tire killer, all that is sci-fi so it belongs to KF because KF always has been about sci-fi? No. I'm talking about adding ROBOTS to the zeds pool which breaks the feel of the game. pew pew pew, bleep bloop blip. I'm not complaining about the adjustments to be made but the fact that they are ROBOTS. In my opinion this is retarded and breaks something in the feel of the game. pew pew. Robots horde along the zeds doesn't belong to KF, this is just pure heresy. I know why they did it, but I disagree 100% to have robots in the zed horde. We had monsters, now we have robots.. ****ing robots! lol

OK so as it is a system in the works, I should not complain about upgrade system because "blabla"...we should not castrate the creative minds behind KF.. OK.. But I complain especially on the fact that there was already some work to do on weapons already, and apparently that takes lot of time as some thread talk about some issues since long time, but now they just have multiplied by XXX the amount of work that this new system brings just for the weapons.. (and yes when it was just not needed in the first place I still think exactly that, even if someone created the internet because nobody complained about it xD).

Also, in my humble opinion you know you don't wait for a building to be fully equipped to notice to the people working on it that there are foundation problems which require to pull down the building, right? same for games. I'll not wait full release to complain about it, that is more logical than waiting but anyway even now it is already too late because TWI just don't give a **** about what we could say, they decided "we go this way" even if you can clearly see that this was not the best way to go. Your way is wait until they waste many months on something, then when it is finished say, "ho, by the way, it's ****, go back now".. No honestly I prefer mine.

I feel like sometimes that some people at TWI wake up, with a joke in mind, say it in conference room, and then it's a thing in the game two months later.

Dr. Lethal;n2320312 said:
Why does it need to be live so you can uninstall It? If you feel that way then go ahead and just do it. Don't waste people's time saying you're gonna do something and then not do it at the last moment.

I literally said I'll continue to play the game. But to answer for himself, seems pretty obvious that currently the game is OK for him, but the coming update he doesn't want to play the game anymore because he doesn't like at all the things that the update brings in. What's hard to understand? or maybe you wanted to flame him just for the sake of it?

Upvote 0
I don't think the EDARs are that big of a deal myself. If they were as common as Gorefasts, then yes they would absolutely ruin the game both mechanically and thematically, but they're fairly rare.

With the high-tech weapons we have (Railgun, anyone?) and the fact that, even back in KF1 (admittedly, very late in it's lifespan), we had a playable droid character, I don't think they're thematically inconsistent. We had a moonbase in KF1. We have a space station in KF2. While I would be lying if I said Killing Floor was always hi-tech near-future sci-fi, it isn't just zombie stand-ins attacking London anymore (that's what the mod was back in the day, right? I wasn't around back then) and hasn't been that for quite a while; this isn't exactly some dramatic tonal shift.

Heck, assuming I'm following the wee threads of story that there are: Kevin went nuts, started pumping out zed clones, most of which (not based on total number of units produced but number of unique units) are cybernetically augmented, and tried to take over the world or summat. With the copious amount of tech apparently just sitting around Horzine's various now-overrun facilities, it was honestly only a matter of time before his army of clones and cyborg clones included some droids.

And from a mechanics perspective, they're great. The trapper needs work, but this is a beta for a reason. The other two work really well. They're another ranged threat, something which was needed, but they aren't hitscan so you can still dodge them with simple footwork. They somewhat disincentivise both standing in as open a place as possible and keeping tight formation and they punish over-reliance on chokepoints like hallways which was also needed. With some more work put into their sound design (projectile travel noises, the noises they make when they hit you, the sounds made when you shoot/strike the EDARs themselves, etc...) and some balance tweaking I think they'll make a great addition from a gameplay standpoint.

Reactions: Reclusiarch
Upvote 0
omano;n2320317 said:
I'll not wait full release to complain about it, that is more logical than waiting but anyway even now it is already too late because TWI just don't give a **** about what we could say, they decided "we go this way" even if you can clearly see that this was not the best way to go.

Apparently you don't remember "resistancegate". TWI put loads of time and energy into the resistance system, and they really thought it was a great idea. But when we fans overwhelming gave our feedback that it was the wrong thing for KF2, they listened. It was a painful decision for them because a new feature that took a lot of effort ended up being a flop, but in the end they gave us what we asked for. I don't know where you're getting the feeling that TWI doesn't care what we say, because that's exactly the opposite of my experience. Sure they might not implement every feature we ask for, but when it comes to something like this where there is a lot of strong feedback, listening is exactly what TWI does. I have full confidence that they will take our feedback about the upgrade system and EDARs seriously.

Upvote 0
Bonez1349;n2320383 said:
Edars are cool but why make them bullet sponges? When I first saw the announcement I thought we would have robots jumping around dodging bullets and sprinting towards players like something in the movie "I robot". It would make them more terrifying and more rewarding to kill.
They do jet towards players within a certain range, like how Gorefasts start sprinting to close the distance, and they totally do sick jet boosts to dodge attacks. From the sounds of it, they'll also be less horrifically tanky in the next beta, too.

Upvote 0
My thoughts as a player with ~ 4000 hours and as a server owner in KF2 ...

- Prestige - Meh

- Upgrade System - I kinda like it. It adds a new "planning" aspect to the game.

- EDARs - I don't really care for them. They seem out of place in KF2.
- It would be nice if the Admins could toggle the EDARs off using the web admin, without deranking the server.
- The suggestion to make the EDARs a new BOSS is nice. Kinda like "My mutations did not kill you so I'm sending my King Robots to take care of you.

- New Maps - Niiiiiice

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Vapid;n2320293 said:
I suggested this in another thread; it certainly seems doable, although it'd take more time. I agree that robots being added as new Zeds seems weird, and I can't say I am a fan of the idea.

Besides, a new boss would be cool. :)

I like this idea too, it reminds me KF1-Transit double Patty boss :p (althought it happens sometimes with Abomination xD)

Upvote 0
Radio4ctive;n2320290 said:
So why you don't uninstall game now?

If you are a PS4 user then you could understand where all of us are coming from with bugs and resets of skins and they have not fixed it yet, PC users have it easy when it comes to feedback and devs giving you a respond. This game went from killing zeds to fighting cyborgs which should not be in this game at all. The new map airship is fine but having its objectives is absolutely ridiculous. Stand you`re ground objectives is not the greatest add-on for the players but its something. The weapon system was fine with a few tweaks here and there but nerfing it all was a joke, i`m not the only one who dislikes it.What this game really needs is more maps, a huge map pack, Special weapons, different player modes and make it a DLC if you want to make money. We also need a trading system for PS4 XBOX One.

Upvote 0
NED79;n2320473 said:
My thoughts as a player with ~ 4000 hours and as a server owner in KF2 ...

- Prestige - Meh

- Upgrade System - I kinda like it. It adds a new "planning" aspect to the game.

- EDARs - I don't really care for them. They seem out of place in KF2.
- It would be nice if the Admins could toggle the EDARs off using the web admin, without deranking the server.
- The suggestion to make the EDARs a new BOSS is nice. Kinda like "My mutations did not kill you so I'm sending my King Robots to take care of you.

- New Maps - Niiiiiice

I'm updating my opinion after playing the beta for a while.

I freaking HATE the EDARs. They are totally out of place in this game. Please do one of the following ...

- get rid of them
- allow admins to toggle them off in web admin
- make them a new boss only.

EDIT: Our team just opted out of the beta. The pre beta version is soooooo much more fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
NED79;n2320752 said:
I'm updating my opinion after playing the beta for a while.

I freaking HATE the EDARs. They are totally out of place in this game. Please do one of the following ...

- get rid of them
- allow admins to toggle them off in web admin
- make them a new boss only.

EDIT: Our team just opted out of the beta. The pre beta version is soooooo much more fun.

The EDARs are funny though. They've regressed the meta to zerker / medic on easy maps like nuked, and then those players get nuked from bombers on the rooftop spawns and can't work out where their health went XD

Upvote 0
ShingoMurata;n2320803 said:
The EDARs are funny though. They've regressed the meta to zerker / medic on easy maps like nuked, and then those players get nuked from bombers on the rooftop spawns and can't work out where their health went XD

I could see having them as a change of pace. They could be used during a seasonal special or something. That or allow them to be toggled on or off in the web admin. That way, people who hate them (and there are many) could turn them off completely.

Upvote 0
war.to.fame;n2320650 said:
What this game really needs is more maps, a huge map pack, Special weapons, different player modes and make it a DLC if you want to make money. We also need a trading system for PS4 XBOX One.

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with you on one point there. It has never been in TWI's DNA to make gameplay purchasable DLC. Sure, they have released and sold plethora of skins and cosmetics to make a small fortune, but they have always been respected by their players because they don't charge extra for new maps or weapons.

I repeat, charging for AESTHETICS is just fine and expected, but charging for GAMEPLAY... that would just demolish the community. EA and other mainstream devs ruined game development when they pioneered the DLC movement and micro transaction systems. Now every new game is rushed and incomplete at release, but "ohh it's fine, we'll just release the 'new' (*cough* original) content when we finish it and charge an arm and a leg; we love money." Back when games were great, they waited till the game was actually completed and released the whole thing for one price. Oh, how I wish for those days to return.

Upvote 0