• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

World War III: A Study

Interesting article from 1987 about a theoretical Soviet invasion and which routes they would use.

The maps aren't about why they'd do it, just how.

Besides, relations between China and the USSR were quite tense during the cold war with border clashes occasionally taking place. Throughout the period the USSR maintained a large number of divisions in it's far eastern districts. It's highly likely that that they had plans for a pre-emptive strike on the PRC to stop them taking advantage of military commitments in Europe and Japan.

Upvote 0
To be honest, I cant see the Russians being able to defeat the Chinese and still be effective against the West at the same time!

They simply didnt and still dont have the manpower to suddenly go on the warpath like that!

The chinese would have destroyed em!
In '87 the USSR had China technologically overmatched in every single way.

Upvote 0
well as this isnt a what would happen, but a how would it happen IF it would happen ie if the russians can effectively defeat the entire worldpopulation off course (the guys who made this map really would have to do one simple calculation and would see how pointless their maps are)

as there is only one way to defeat the entire world population, nukes
you dont need a map for that :D

Upvote 0
In '87 the USSR had China technologically overmatched in every single way.

Maybe so. But we all know that superior technology cant win a war and invading & occupying China would not have even been considered by Russia in my opinion!

And off course as Lemon said nukes dont need maps, which is what Russia would have used instead of sacrificing men!

Upvote 0
as seen in the afghanistan war

i cant get the fact out of my head that this map's are absolute fiction, inspired by the typical western fear that the soviet union would just run over the entire world :rolleyes:, wich is just bull imo

i just cant see the point where russia ever would have had the streingth to start a war against the whole world (as seen in the map)

Upvote 0
Maybe so. But we all know that superior technology cant win a war and invading & occupying China would not have even been considered by Russia in my opinion!

And off course as Lemon said nukes dont need maps, which is what Russia would have used instead of sacrificing men!
That's true, but I don't see the USSR needing to occupy China, they'd simply need to keep their border secure. I also don't think nuclear weapons would fly straight away either, there would definitely be a period of conventional warfare precluding this. My guess would be that either one side would gain the upper hand and the other would react with nuclear weaponry, or a stalemate would eventuate where one or both of the parties would decide to use them to break it.

A combination of an initial westward attack into Germany and that southern secondary attack that swings west would be very dangerous. Even if NATO was holding it's ground as you expect it would, the advent of that second thrust would almost make withdrawal a tactical necessity given the risk of encirclement. It'd be a matter of give up ground or give up everything.

'87 wouldn't be the right year though, at this time the USSR was falling behind NATO (especially the USA) technologically. Such an attack however would be extremely dangerous in the late 70's to early 80's.

I find these things pretty interesting to ponder.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dr. Strangelovish turn of plot, I'd say. Western military analysist being paranoid, well I guess it's their job.

Would be far more interesting to see what soviet "thought" possible. Attacking all this or even 2 would severily weaken their strenght, so if they even would want to and had the capability to support it all, it would be rather foolish.

Best I can see happening is the invasion of Turkey in Cuban missile crisis -style situation. Maybe oil grab of the southern territories while yuor at it. Even those would possibly be from different axis than shown in the maps from geographic and political reasons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
you need to remember that incase of a russian invasion allot of nations would go help them. Especially in the middle east to **** up israel.

I think especially in the beginning russia would seem to have the upper hand as unlike what previous was said

Russia didnt start to fall behind millitary wise untill after the fall.

Also i think vs china tactical nukes would be used. This was a much more viable tactic there due to china having a much smaller nuke capacity and thus much smaller danger of a devastating counter strike.

Upvote 0