• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wiping achievements!?

Early Access = Beta version of KF2

Players who play the beta version shouldn't get achievements/perk leveling that would carry over to the final version of the game.

Say you get all the achievements for beating the maps on Hell on Earth in the EA, but suppose TW balances/tweaks the difficulty settings for HoE and in the final version of the game it's way harder to get the same achievement. That would be unfair to players who didn't have a chance to get the achievement when it was easier to do so.

When the final game comes out, no one should have an advantage over other players b/c they were able to play an unfinished version of the game is pretty much what I'm trying to say.

Upvote 0
Early Access = Beta version of KF2

Players who play the beta version shouldn't get achievements/perk leveling that would carry over to the final version of the game.

Say you get all the achievements for beating the maps on Hell on Earth in the EA, but suppose TW balances/tweaks the difficulty settings for HoE and in the final version of the game it's way harder to get the same achievement. That would be unfair to players who didn't have a chance to get the achievement when it was easier to do so.

When the final game comes out, no one should have an advantage over other players b/c they were able to play an unfinished version of the game is pretty much what I'm trying to say.

This makes plenty of sense... Except for one thing:

Why even put achievements in if they're just going to be wiped?

There's nothing to be "tested" with achievements, really. At least not the ones currently in the game. So why even bother adding them if they're just going to wipe them?

Upvote 0
I was wondering if the achievements would get reset. This slightly disappointed me at first, but when I thought about it I realized that it's necessary. I can't wait for more content, and new achievements, and it's good to know that my achievements won't last cause I might have been really mad if it happened without me knowing. Thanks for the post!

Upvote 0
This makes plenty of sense... Except for one thing:

Why even put achievements in if they're just going to be wiped?

There's nothing to be "tested" with achievements, really. At least not the ones currently in the game. So why even bother adding them if they're just going to wipe them?

Plenty of testing to be done with achievements, just think of Wyre in kf1 you could do it 10 times and still not get the achievement.

So my guess is that they added them to make sure they work like they should.

Upvote 0
Feel like part of the reason they are doing this is so on release the achievements will be more valid, particularly for the HoE achievements.

If someone does it now, gets the achievement for completing HoE and the difficulty gets increased 3 times over when the game gets released it's really not fair for those trying to get the achievement after. With the reset it guarantees that everyone would be on a level playing field difficulty wise for the achievement and anyone who has it really is as good as they say. I do understand that it's just bragging rights but at the same time it's a point of honor, i bet there will not be all that many people to actually beat HoE and only some of the best of the best will do it. Even now it's only like 0.2% of the entire community who has the game, on release it will probably be only 0.05.

HoE is hard and if someone manages it beat once the difficulty is set in stone then they deserve the achievement. For now it's still an achievement to beat it but if the difficulty goes up then it's not really fair that you were able to get the achievement while playing a "watered down" version.

Maybe add in a special skin or item signifying that you beat hell on earth and made tripwire up the anti, that is a far cooler thing to have when compared to any achievement.

Upvote 0
But I was still playing, partly because it was fun, but partly because my team and I were trying to 100% all the current achievements.

See, we're all playing KF1 as well, and the list of achievements in that game is... daunting. To say the least. There are, if I'm correct, 285 achievements in Killing Floor 1, most of which involve doing all the maps on all the difficulties.

My team and I thought we'd cut away some of the pain for that early on in KF2 by doing each map on every difficulty (that we could manage) prior to the next ones coming out, so that our achievement list at launch didn't tower above us like something big and scary.

Now, I think the achievement-hunting subculture is pretty silly. I think getting random silly little "badges" for doing either really random or really skillful can be fun, but I think the obsessive emphasis on them is ridiculous. Like Piscator, I remember when games didn't have them, and we played them because they were fun.

BUT, I acknowledge that different people have different interests in different forms of entertainment. Some people like grinding, some people like camping, some people like achievements. We can all get what we want, hopefully, in the end.

But dude, something is wrong when you are instinctively separating "fun" from your hunting for achievements in your post. Is getting achievements that frustrating for you? lol

I mean, really, why? What is the point in wiping the achievements? Reading this has honestly killed my drive to play any more Killing Floor 2 until the main release, because I feel like all my effort toward unlocking the achievements as they came out would be totally wasted.

As Rocker Fox said, difficulty may be changed. Zed mechanics are all subject to change, especially during this time period. Hell, for instance siren pull is presently...not even present. What if Scrake's circling exploit is removed or dealt with at some point?

I'm sorry that your drive to play is gone because you'll feel that effort is wasted. But the answer is pretty simple, just don't play. The same response to the people who feel like their efforts at perk progression may be wasted. Just stop playing an unfinished game then.

Upvote 0
The current achievements are lame. They are just "beat X map on X difficulty". I know Ill never waste my time doing that on normal so 100% is out of the question. KF had actual achievements, Im sure this game will too at launch.

All you have to do is beat the boss on each map, not really hard to do (well the low lame difficulties wont be). And if you earned the hell on earth achievement from a 50 man server your achievements should be wiped because you didn't achieve anything lol.

Upvote 0
I have 2000 hours or so in KF1, and only 70% achievements. They seem to be pointless crap in games that you have to set out to do. Achievements should be something meaningful that takes skill, not pointless stuff for players to grind.

I have enough OCD with the leveling as it is. The leveling system is somewhat of a hindrance, as an FPS veteran, gaming since 1991, I moved up difficulty levels in both KF games a lot sooner than I "should" have. I did have some trouble with other players on occasion wondering why a lvl 5 was on hard. Same with suicidal. I moved there at lvl 9, and at lvl 15, it is starting to get a bit boring, and I'm ready to move to HoE.

Also, I don't want to have to move back down difficulties every time I decide I want to level up a perk.

Not sure how to fix this, as currently there's no way to tell a player good from bad until you watch them start to play.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The current achievements are lame. They are just "beat X map on X difficulty". I know Ill never waste my time doing that on normal so 100% is out of the question. KF had actual achievements, Im sure this game will too at launch.

All you have to do is beat the boss on each map, not really hard to do (well the low lame difficulties wont be). And if you earned the hell on earth achievement from a 50 man server your achievements should be wiped because you didn't achieve anything lol.

If you're on a modded server such as a 50 man, they should disable achievements.

Upvote 0
Perhaps I came across wrong in my original post.

The intention to wipe the achievements (multiple times) is upsetting not because it was hard to obtain the current ones (it wasn't) but moreso because I don't see the point in adding achievements into the game until launch if the intention is to just wipe them every few weeks.

When I got the achievements, I was under the impression I wouldn't have to re-do them all again at launch. Learning that this wasn't the case was somewhat jarring, and made me question why they're even there in the first place.

Some people are also bringing up the "Why do you even care about achievements?" Argument, and I get where you guys are coming from, but here's why I care about them so much:

They give my team and I something to work towards.

We're a very goal-oriented group. It's hard for us to just play a game without a clear end-point in mind. I don't know if that's just something about our shared mindsets, or whatever, but that's how we roll, we're completionists.

As I said, we've pretty much seen all that the current build has to offer, but getting the achievements - thereby bypassing those same achievements later on when there were more maps and more things to do - seemed like a pretty cool idea to us.

But knowing that the effort we're spending on that goal is, effectively, pointless, is kind of disheartening.

Say what you like about completionism, that's just how our minds work. And this news was pretty upsetting for that reason.

If you're on a modded server such as a 50 man, they should disable achievements.

I'm pretty sure they already do.

Upvote 0
When I got the achievements, I was under the impression I wouldn't have to re-do them all again at launch. Learning that this wasn't the case was somewhat jarring, and made me question why they're even there in the first place.

TWI has messed up on achievements before, putting achievements in but can't be unlocked. Actually during early closed beta, the achievements weren't unlocking even when they were supposed to.

I don't know what you would find more annoying: beating a tough map after release and not getting the achievement because TWI didn't put achievements in early access and messed up.

OR

Putting achievements in early access to test if they work or not and wipe them for final release after warning us well ahead of time.

For your information, I'm an achievement hunter as well and I understand your mentality, but I was able to adjust to the fact that achievements may be wiped and keep playing with a modified mentality.

Upvote 0
TWI has messed up on achievements before, putting achievements in but can't be unlocked. Actually during early closed beta, the achievements weren't unlocking even when they were supposed to.

I don't know what you would find more annoying: beating a tough map after release and not getting the achievement because TWI didn't put achievements in early access and messed up.

OR

Putting achievements in early access to test if they work or not and wipe them for final release after warning us well ahead of time.

For your information, I'm an achievement hunter as well and I understand your mentality, but I was able to adjust to the fact that achievements may be wiped and keep playing with a modified mentality.

Pretty much this on top of my other reasoning.

They are mainly there as a test to make sure they trigger when they are intended to and not at random times or filing to trigger when they should.

Kinda odd in same cases like in the RO2 beta. One day i logged on and noticed i had a bunch of random achievements for things i never did and had progress for classes i knew that i never played very much.

Probably having these achievements in as a double check in order to not repeat the same mistakes made last time.

Upvote 0