• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

windows live for ro2?

Are you guys saying that vista could or should be the gamer's choice?

Some may, but certainly not all!

Quote from GameDaily :

Microsoft promised that Windows Vista would usher in a new era for PC gaming as a part of "The WOW Starts Now" marketing campaign. After spending several weeks with a complimentary copy of Microsoft's new operating system (Ultimate version), we say: "WOW, what was Microsoft thinking?"

"Promoted as a renaissance gaming platform, and so far, our experience with Vista falls so far short of a "gaming platform" it's laughable. In its current state Vista requires far too many manual tweaks to get games, hardware and peripherals to function properly. Sure XP was riddled with flaws in the early days, but XP wasn't touted as the savior of PC gaming."

or from same article :

Tweaks weren't required for games like Steam's Half-Life family, The Ship. Others like UT2K4 and Quake 4 seem unaffected, but users simply won't know what games work or require additional modification until they install them, despite Microsoft's Chris Donahue, Games for Windows group manager saying "We've hand-tested over 1,000 individual Windows XP games on Windows Vista to help ensure that everything runs smoothly for end users." Which games were "hand-tested?" Endless gaming sites have acknowledged (including the highly respected ExtremeTech.com) through their own independent testing that games run slower on Vista than they do on XP. All of these factoids combine to show that, at best, playing games on Vista can be a crapshoot.

source:

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/_a/new-vistas-problems-with-windows-vista/20070530190709990001

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tried Vista yesterday. Installing it was helluva easier than XP, but it just didn't work when installed. Indexing the HDD took like 30 mins (this 10000 rpm is LOUD and it made me CRAZY!), support for 64 bit is laughable. Then I fired up RO SDK and.... it lagged like hell. Mouse lag was horrendous but I figured out that it was the stupid Aero thing that caused it. I switched to the classic theme and.... THE MOUSE LAG WAS GONE \o/

Except that the SDK window was bugged like hell and always sort of jumped when I clicked on it. After that I installed XP.

Upvote 0
I've recently installed the free version I got through my course and hey it is not the nightmare people make it out to be. Granted this is me installing it now when drivers have somewhat caught up, and on new hardware to boot. But I can imagine the frustration people experienced when things as simple as USB sticks would not work with it.

I find that if you turn off aero and disbale that frankly redundant and outright retarded notification system that bugs you every time you copy a file it is actually ok.

Games definitely are still a crapshoot with it though, that is certain, but as an OS it is fine.

P.S. I stilly use my XP partitions primarily though :D

Upvote 0
It came with my latest PC and I like it, I have heard sevaral story's about people having problems with updating their system though.

There are still a lot of issues with older hardware, but for a new PC it's perfect
I am not sure if they've rectified it yet, but out of the box it would not work for love nor money with USB 1.1. I had several acquaintances who could not get their older PC's with USB 1.1 ports to recognize devices etc.

Originally I had issues getting my USB joystick working but eventually sorted it out. I am waiting to try out DX10 as I want to see how my machine handles it.

Wouldn't buy any game requiring/sponsoring another MS money grab. If you want watered-down, dumbed-down games that are console ports to the PC, I suggest anything soon to be released for the CoD or MoH series. You can play half-baked pieces of sh*t with the console kiddies and all be happy little bugs in rugs.
I agree, MS Live definitely looks like a useless money grab, well the gold edition does at least. Especially when you hear how PC players are handicapped in that Shadow run shooter with forced auto-aim etc.

It's not such a problem for me though as I find that as I age I am getting more into hardcore strategy games and sims which will always be the stomping ground of the PC.

Upvote 0
The worst thing about Vista for me is all the useless junk it comes with, yes it is easy to install, but once installed the real headache starts, just like XP, a ton of useless "services", "helpers" that are apparently aimed at people with Downs syndrome, and eye candy BS has to be disabled so your OS doesen't drain all your gaming rigs precious gaming vitae.. now theres just so much more of it! Gah!

And junk like "Vista Live" is not helping the matter, especially since its just a thinly vieled attempt by M$ to push their view that gaming should be done on the X-Box, and not the PC.

Upvote 0
Whats the update on the lack of hardware accelerated sound for Audigy and X-Fi users?

Would it be possible for the ones that are using Vista successfully, to post their hardware specs and if possible what version of drivers they are using for their hardware including as to whether they use either 32 or 64 bit.
Zips: I am especially drawn to your comments on the new set of drivers you are using with Vista.

I am trying to compile a list of things that work so i can give people as much insight into Vista compatibility as possible. Your personal opinions on the things you like and don't like would be necessary too along with what things make your computing experience more easier and stress free. I have been advising people to stay away from Vista at this current time as i don't believe their to be an advantage to gamers over XP. That justifies the cost and stress of getting to used to something new.

Apologies for hijacking this thread a little.

Last edited:
Upvote 0