• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will Killing Floor 3 Gore Be Better?

NorthDumpling

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
So long story short, Dead Island 2 released recently with a very impressive and actually next gen procedural gore system, something that Killing Floor 2 didnt have 10 years ago when it was first presented.

We do know KF2 utilized chunk system and is just prebaked, with that system you can only do so much really, there will always be a limit.
The reason why I started this thread is because Maneater that came out just relatively recently and on UE4 didnt have anything innovative in it, neither did it have proper water buoyancy, this alone makes me worry if Tripwire is still capable of creating a proper next gen title.

We do know they work on NEXT BIG THING, which probably started right after Maneater released in 2020 and 3 years later it might be Red Orchestra/Rising Storm 3 just like Killing Floor 3 to utilize latest tech available and there certainly should be progress in that regard.

What do you guys think?

Well, I never really saw Tripwire as trend setters. Nor innovators. They pride themselves for the "gun feel" and rightfully so. That's already something ! And it's even more apparent now that Saber is handling Killing Floor 2 : the newer weapons clearly don't have the same level of detail and care... But it's hard to judge if it's truly because Saber doesn't know how to do it as well as Tripwire, or if they simply don't have the time/money/care anymore.

Personally, I'm not as much of a gorehound as I used to be in my teenage years, where I had sparks in my eyes when Left 4 Dead 2 released. A deep gore system can't save a mediocre game (as Mortal Kombat surely can tell, especially MK11, which felt like a disappointment to the many pros who loved the combo possibilities of the previous game). But I guess it adds some flair, especially in zombie (or action/horror games of any kind really), so I wouldn't mind a revamped gore system for an eventual KF3. But didn't they say they spent TWO YEARS perfecting the gore system for KF2 already? I don't know if they'd be willing to go even beyond for the next game.

It's almost a given that they'll up the ante tech-wise. You don't release a sequel nearly ten years after (or more, we still don't know) without a significant coat of fresh paint. And that might come from pushing older hardware to the very limits actually (again, MK11 is a perfect example... A major game released in 2019 still using Unreal Engine THREE, and yet managing to be the most stunning game of the genre so far? Damn ! Although SF6 and Tekken 8 are looking to lurk for the crown)

Upvote 0
So long story short, Dead Island 2 released recently with a very impressive and actually next gen procedural gore system, something that Killing Floor 2 didnt have 10 years ago when it was first presented.

We do know KF2 utilized chunk system and is just prebaked, with that system you can only do so much really, there will always be a limit.
The reason why I started this thread is because Maneater that came out just relatively recently and on UE4 didnt have anything innovative in it, neither did it have proper water buoyancy, this alone makes me worry if Tripwire is still capable of creating a proper next gen title.
What do you guys think?
Depends on their priorities at the time, and whether or not those change course over the course of the hypothetical KF3.

Dead Island 2's devs chose to make their gore system very impressive at the expense of not really having anything else worthy of note, despite being in development for a staggeringly long time and restarting multiple times through, as I understand it. If it weren't for that it feature, would've been swept under the rug entirely and forgotten about because it's an incredibly bland open-world zombie game outside of that.

The violence is part of the appeal, but TWI's primary focus when making KF2 was to refine and polish the shooting mechanics with their firearms to the point where you could eat meals off the things. That's why all the gun animations were mocapped (and at 240 frames per second so they would look even better in Zed-Time), why they recorded the gun fire sounds at a firing range, why they had alternate mocapped animations for elite reloads, etc.

Obviously that priority changed at some point when the original head animator left the company (and also probably owing to expenses), but I would assume that's what they'd be shooting for (ha) in the sequel. This is all speculation at this point, of course.

You don't release a sequel nearly ten years after (or more, we still don't know) without a significant coat of fresh paint.
(Shenmue III fidgets nervously in the corner and averts eye contact)

Reactions: Aleflippy
Upvote 0