• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will KF2 retain the original's hardware accessibility?

Diem

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2011
Arizona
I ask this because the game runs great on my Lenovo X220, unlike many other games I'd like to play. It looks great, too, which is astounding. Few games can both look and play great on this thing.

Granted this will be a nonissue in the near future; I'm building a more suitable gaming PC that'll be done by the end of this month or the next, and it'll be pretty powerful. At least, I certainly believe it is:

Spoiler!

I expect it won't run as smoothly on low-end computers as KF does, but I'm hoping it won't reach crazy levels of required hardware like Battlefield or Crysis. Anyone have a good estimate on what the requirements will be?

I don't think we have any solid estimates yet, but it's Unreal Engine 3, so it shouldn't require as much as Frostbite or CryEngine.

Not only that, but based on the renders alone it doesn't look like it's going to compare Bioshock Infinite style with how far you can take the engine. I imagine most stress on systems will be those with very old graphics cards, and those who buy like the $50-$100 variants in any given series.

The most stress, like any wave game, is having many enemies on screen at one time. Graphics are scaled back to address that in just about every wave based game out there.

Upvote 0
If you don't need a new gaming pc now then personally I would wait as x99, haswell e refresh and ddr4 is coming out soon, and it may significantly push prices down on other hardware.

and kf2 may not come out for a long time we have no idea what the release date is, so if you're just buying a pc for kf2 then by the time it comes out there may be several new generations of hardware out and you could buy a significatly better pc for the same money.

but that pc should run kf2 easily

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What are you worrying for?! Core i5 is good enough, and R9 290 is an atomic bomb- a lot of firepower!
It is up to par with my GTX 780, as long as you don't enable anything related to Nvidia, like the Physx effect.

This machine is enough even for Crysis 3, let alone KF2!

PS: If I had not seen the brand of "Rosewill", I'd have assumed that you are from China! All those hardwares are highly chosen in China! You had a Lenovo aren't you?!

PS again: I prefer Xeon E3 CPU and Gigabyte motherboards. E3-1230V3 and G1 SNIPER B5 is a good combination. (Overclocking? Are you feeling dissatisfied while playing your game without it? If not, preserve your money for Z87 and take a B85 instead.)
And the MX100 SSD, referring from one of my dealers, had a chance of death upon arrival. Also 256G is the best value/money to choose.
Dual channel is not required in gaming machines after all.
That's what I know anyways.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you don't need a new gaming pc now then personally I would wait as x99, haswell e refresh and ddr4 is coming out soon, and it may significantly push prices down on other hardware.

and kf2 may not come out for a long time we have no idea what the release date is, so if you're just buying a pc for kf2 then by the time it comes out there may be several new generations of hardware out and you could buy a significatly better pc for the same money.

but that pc should run kf2 easily

x99 are better suited for servers. You won't need 8x MEMs and a LGA 2011 octa-core CPU for a game!
DDR4 are for servers! NO game will require such an amount of memory bandwidth!

Forget the x99 and look for LGA 115x platforms!

Last edited:
Upvote 0