• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why the name 'Realism Mode'?

gasgas

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2011
I am curious about how this naming policy came out? Action is pretty clear, it's the arcade mode, classic is ok, you're referring to classic red orchestra.

But, 'realism'? Seriously a part from increased damaged there isn't anything about realism there, why not calling it 'Hard' Mode or something like that, I say this because it creates a lot of confusion with people who choose realism over classic thinking to get a tactical experience. And in fact it results in splitting the community even more.

So I hope you'd reconsider the naming policy because many new players may wrongly keep playing realism thinking it's the most realistic mode in the game or the hardest while in fact, it's pretty clear it's not, just being able to sprint and instantly stop, careless of inertia laws, and going lightspeed into ironsights is an example, even funnier when you play japan/germany and run around with the rifle in one hand and it instantly teleports in shoulder position, you can shoot before the animation is even completed.
All of this to avoid confusion, nothing wrong about having different arcade or tactical modes.

Last edited:
We are playing a video game. There is no such thing as realism in video games. We might get something close to realism or intended as realism but we never get TRUE realism because we'd have to get shot at in order to achieve it.

Classic isn't more realistic than Realism, Realism isn't more realistic than Classic. Its entirely up to the person playing whats more realistic. What if I think Realism should keep the name? Can we just drop this stupid discussion once and for all?

Upvote 0
This belong in ideas and suggestions, infact there is already a post suggesting the same thing on the front page there.

Anyway realism is more realistic than classic, hence the name realism.
Classic is on the whole more realistic, tactical and historically accurate than "Realism" by far. The only thing that Realism really has over Classic is the stamina / movement speed, and even in that sole case, it's something TWI intentionally gimped. What does that tell you?

Upvote 0
nothing realistic about the teleporters used by squad leaders to reinforce their position :/

No, but it does create more tactical gameplay since squads work together more often since they spawn together rather than working as lone wolfs or in a pair or trio like I see in classic, since it is extremely hard to get near your squad mates (low stamina if you spawn on 1 and they go spawn 2 or 3).

Upvote 0
That's what I mean, it's a videogame, so remove that pompous 'realism' tag and let people figure out on their own what is closer to realism, to avoid confusion and have people join classic more, which has very few people playing. Hopefully this can be taken into consideration. Thanks for the answers.

Upvote 0
Wait so Realism mode is more realistic than Classic? Is Realism movement slower or faster than Classic?

I must agree with the OP, as a looong time player of RO and (real) realistic shooters even i'm confused now. ;)

Most people would agree that classic is more realistic, some people might assume that realism is more realistic from the name and just looking through the features (there's bleeding, you can bandage etc.) but classic is a lot more tactical and realistic. Classic has a lower stamina and lower speed than Realism.

Upvote 0
:IS2:The worst thing about classic is spawn on SL. It makes a squad leade who sits in a croner a hero but one that follow the attack and helps his team what people call an assault calss. In classic Sl are with the leading guys clearing out with tehir teamates and therefore see where there the bmoke should be palced

Upvote 0
I'd play classic all day if it had the running speed from realism :p I can walk faster than that and I don't run out of stamina after 100m
custom classic ftw

The amount of stamina is about the same in Classic and Realism. I do not get why people still say that. Running speed is slower but stamina was greatly increased several months ago.

Upvote 0
If only Classic had bandaging, sure it might not be realistic to bandage a gaping hole in yer fore-arm, but it means the guy you shot has to weigh up either shooting back and possibly bleeding out or getting to cover and fixing himself up. :<

I despise bandaging and it's absence is one of my favorite aspects of classic....

It's not so much the bandaging that bothers me - it's the fact that damage isn't dealt immediately. Even if the person wouldn't die immediately in real life - they'd hit the ground after taking a couple SMG rounds to the chest.... the "realistic feature" of bleeding out just means the guy awkwardly stands there while you pummel more rounds into him thinking "WTF? Why isn't he down?"

Upvote 0