• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why is the commander role TL and not PL?

CaptRanger

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2006
www.highest-degree.com
My question is, why is the commander role in RO2/RS is designated as a Team Leader (TL)? In the US Army a Team Leader is the leader of a fireteam, which is a sub-unit of a squad or section. In other words, a Squad Leader (SL) is typically of higher rank and responsibility than a Team Leader, which is the opposite than what it is in this game. Since RO2/RS mainly depicts platoon or section level actions, shouldn't the TL actually be called a Platoon Leader (PL)? Or are there historical explanations for this?

This is a question about this game I've had for a long time, which might have been brought up before, but I just got around to asking.

Disclaimer: I want to point out that I am not a historical guru. I have been a soldier in the US Army for close to a decade, but I am by no means an expert on WWII ranks. So excuse me if there's an obvious answer.

I think with "Team" they mean the Axis/Allies Team, not the specific rank/group (or we would need a different system for each faction with the correct translations)

If that's the case, I think it would bug me more than if they just were mistaken... especially with a game that has native names for the other roles. Just seems silly to have a TL giving orders to SL's.

Upvote 0
how about a refresher course on squad and platoon size and on up for those of us who haven't served?

Team-4 soldiers including team leader

Squad-two teams and SL=9

Platoon- 4 squads. 3 rifle squads of 9 and a weapons squad which in theory is two MG teams of 3 but in reality is usually manned by 2.

Company-4 Platoons more or less depending on your unit attachments and manning.

This is how the regular line units of the US Army are in theory. Mechanized are usually smaller because the Bradley can't hold a full squad.

Upvote 0
how about a refresher course on squad and platoon size and on up for those of us who haven't served?

It varies between nationalities, branches, and even in branches. But, here's basically how it goes for the US Army:

Fire Team < Squad < Section < Platoon < Company < Regiment < Battalion < Brigade < Division < Corps < Army

This is off the top of my head, and like I said, it really varies. For instance, in the Calvary there are Troops and Squadrons or in SF there are Groups, etc.

Edit: thanks, psg, that's a better explanation

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If that's the case, I think it would bug me more than if they just were mistaken... especially with a game that has native names for the other roles. Just seems silly to have a TL giving orders to SL's.

I don't think they are mistaken since the Germans/Russians/Japanease all share the same hierarchy/names.. which was clearly not the case IRL.

It would be a lot of work to get it right for each faction since it also changes from unit to unit (+time) and native class names aren't possible because Russian(I think jap. too, never saw one in-game) letters can't be displayed in the English/German/.. version

Last edited:
Upvote 0