• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] What's your most disappointing purchase of 2013

Cpt-Praxius

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2005
Canadian in Australia
After the last couple of Steam Sales I picked up a lot more games than I usually do through a year.

Most years I'll maybe get 3-4 games tops, but this year I think I picked up close to 20 or so due to some really good deals.

However we all probably grabbed a couple of games that we could have done without and could have put that money towards something better.

So what was your most disappointing game you bought in 2013?

This can be PC or Console, doesn't matter.

For me, I have to say that the most disappointing game would have to be Fallout New Vegas.

Now I know a lot of people praise the Fallout series and has a good following, but I just couldn't get into it no matter how hard I tried.

I know it's not a new game and is a bit dated, but being my first experience into the Fallout series, it didn't make me want to dive in further.

It has some interesting features and an interesting basis for a game, but I find it pretty damn boring.

I was hoping it would be somewhat closer to Skyrim or even a dated Rage as they all came from the same company.... But it was more like Morrowind in regards to dated RPG elements and stiff characters.... Not to mention not very memorable characters.

I kind of just wandered around, played the first few quests, tried to make my way towards New Vegas and perhaps try and get the game moving forward, but it just dragged on and on.... Walking forever with some pointless battles and mini quests that weren't all that enjoyable and just slowed me down towards getting into the main quest to get the story going.

It almost gave me the feeling I had trying to get into Battlefield. I paid for the game, I heard a lot of hype and I wanted to not just get my moneys worth out of both, but enjoy them.

I just ended up not impressed, somewhat frustrated by the odd design choices and losing interest right away.

For Battlefield 2 (my first try at the series) I played that game regularly for over a year and only ended up hating it more and more. Then later I thought I would give BFBC2 a go and only ended up in the same boat.

With Fallout New Vegas, I tried and tried to get into it, but the same feelings came along as I had for BF.

It's just Blah. I ended up uninstalling FalloutNV a couple of days ago. there were only a small handful of games I ever regretted buying:

• World of Warcraft
• Bqttlefield 2
• Battlefield Bad Company 2
• Fallout New Vegas

So what's your pick for 2013?

If you have other games you want to mention from later than this year, by all means.

Last edited:
Spec Ops: The Line

The game itself was alright, typical cover bro-shooter type thing. The story was somewhat decent too, if a bit weird. My biggest gripe with it was that it forced a funky download of Microsoft Visual ++ 2008 that caused 80% of my UE3 engine games to crash after 10 to 15 minutes. Of course I didn't figure out that it was V++ causing the crashes until after I'd gotten some new PC hardware to try and fix the issue (needed a new Mobo anyways...). So I played the game in short 15 min segments which ruined the feel of it, until I finally got things sorted; by which point I wasn't really into it and just went "feh, lets just get it out of the way and see how it ends".

Upvote 0
Must say I was disappointed by Rome II as well. I have tried a couple mods since the first cold shower, but still couldnt really get into it. Guess I have to wait for more improvements to come before trying it again.

Can't really explain it but on my first playthrough as Athens I just had absolutely nothing to do most of the turns with the restriction of how many armies you can have I was forced to always retreat my main army after a big battle to reinforce (instead of camping for a couple of turn till the reinforcements came themselves). Maybe should had tried a bigger empire for the first play, dunno

Upvote 0
Far Cry: Bloond dragon
I'm not saying it's a bad game but I was expecting a different style of gameplay. Also my pc is getting old so it works like crap.

The first 2 Batman Arkham games
They were in a humble bundle but I again didn't like the gameplay, combat was repetitive and all you do is walk from point A to point B. Didn't finish the first one and didn't even start the second one.

Both Borderlands games
It was too focused on coop and the combat was repetitive and just not very fun sometimes. Sometimes I just kept dying.

Alan Wake
The story wasn't very interesting for me, the symbolism pointless and the combat was tedious and repetitive. I kept playing hoping the story would get interesting but it didn't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would have to say counterstrike go. Ya i know, father of all fps and best blah blah blah. But I didnt like the no down sight aiming, mindless running around gunning down everyone in sight, fast pace, and boreing weapons.

Yeah I never liked Counter Strike since it was a mod for HL. I was a Team Fortress Classic guy.... At least it was interesting and unique with the classes and weapons to a silly degree. But TF2 doesn't really do it for me.

CS just didn't make sense to me where you played a SWAT like character had to buy your own equipment. I just didn't see they hype and haven't been interested in paying for any updated versions.

Upvote 0
Topping the list, Aliens: Colonial Marines. Piece of **** won't even start up. It's rare that I have a game with that problem, rarer still that I can't get it to eventually work. I got it because a friend and I love co-op shooters, and we love Aliens. I knew it was going to be bad, but won't even start on a modern machine? **** that. $20, down the drain.

Alan Wake. Horribly over-written, self-indulgent piece of ****. When you're not consuming the incredibly cliche, senseless and self-serving story, you're running around in the dark with a flash light, being attacked by possessed red necks. I haven't had that violent of a reaction to a game in years, so thanks for that, Alan Wake.

Impire: A dungeon keeper wannabe that's actually a luke warm RTS game.

The King's Crusade: Based on the King Arthur Roleplaying Wargame engine, it's basically Total War. Only it crashes completely randomly every 2 to 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Takedown: Red Sabre. Expected it would not be superb, but it fell far below my expectations. No proper single player, mission briefings which were 3 sentences, low production values across the board, dumb enemy AI, lack of real tactical gameplay, and some bugs. Apparently they are releasing some new patches which do seem to be making some decent improvements, but it will still be a rather bland game at best.

Counter Strike: Global Offensive. Expected to get bored quickly so I am not sure why I bought it. Horrible menu system, server browser only shows a few servers and can't display game mode type. I have yet to play some of the maps like Vertigo because there is no way to select which map you want to play. And there seems to be no way to load up a game against bots offline to view map layouts. Valve gets far too much praise for their recent games, which all seem to be very consolized and full of chunky movement mechanics. Though I realize CS:GO was largely outsourced...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey Flogger...

Regarding CS, Valve's high praises and consoles... It's not so much that their games were designed for Consoles in mind.

... It's that their games are still stuck using the Source Engine which has been around for almost exactly 10 years. Back in 2004-05 it was pushing the limits of most PC's... Now it's just dated and limited.

The SDK World Creation Tools haven't changed much since 1998 either.

Back in 2005-06, games like Half Life 2 and CS:Source were visually stunning and were the next best things to come out for players.

CS:GO is pretty much the same game, using the same engine. They've added some more modes, maps and polish, but it's still the same old game. They could have just updated CS:Source, but the renaming just puts it all in a newer looking package.

Valve really needs to get back into the game of.... Er.... Game development.

Get a newer engine out there, provide some new games.

Upvote 0
I would have to say counterstrike go. Ya i know, father of all fps and best blah blah blah. But I didnt like the no down sight aiming, mindless running around gunning down everyone in sight, fast pace, and boreing weapons.

This is true. I have been playing counter-strike since 2002 and I must say that the original CS along Condition Zero were good games back then. Because there weren't any other FPS games that presented online multiplayer. They were pretty monopolistic in that part and most people liked it, because they didn't know any better. I have played that for years, untill 2011 actually. After that I completely stopped playing Counter-Strike.

Reasons:
- It's not like it was in the past, the community has changed
- A lot of trolls
- A lot of cheaters (VAC for 1.6 and CZ hasn't been updated since I don't know for how long (probably 2005)
- Hardly any English speaking servers/communities

I have tried CS: Source as well during my time and I got so mad at this game. Why? It is exactly the same thing, nothing innovative, nothing creative, the gameplay is actually a lot worse and takes less skill to perform well. The only thing they have changed is the engine and that's it.

As for CS: GO, same story. They did the exact same thing over again. Running around and hipfiring in 2001 was fun, but it certainly isn't anymore. I was hoping they were headed into a tactical direction by changing the whole concept and system, but that was not the story. I was so mad at this game that I wanted to create a new steam account because I was ashamed of having it in my games list. Heck, you might as well play Call of Duty, because it's the exact same thing. Doing the same thing over and over again every year, because you've already made a name for yourself and why not? Making money couldn't have been easier once you are recognized as a good game developer and have a good title to begin with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The problem with CS is that it has a relative large hard core fan base and as soon as you release a CS game that changes things, being innovative and is just different from the old CS system the hard core fan base will turn against you and will scream you dumbed down CS to please the COD kiddies.
The only thing Valve can do is update the engine, add some gamemodes and some new weapons but if it doesn't look and play like CS people will be very upset.

Look at RO 2, TWI tried to change some things but a lot of the loyal fans of RO were so upset by it, myself included.

Upvote 0
GTA: Episodes from Liberty City
Gave up after a while. It was neither over the top like Saints Row series or well written and serious like Mafia series. It falls in between and is a bit boring.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Part of one of the Humble Bundles, loved Alan Wake but didn't enjoy American Nightmare. Not sure why they made it.

Robin Hood
Picked it up as I had a few spare

Upvote 0
... It's that their games are still stuck using the Source Engine which has been around for almost exactly 10 years.

I'm not really referring to the graphics, but just look at the interface for any modern Valve game. Over blown, huge buttons, no proper server browsers, match-making based servers, ect. I would like to try the new maps that came with CS GO (aside from the Lake one), but I simply can't, because I can not choose a specific server with that map. I could do this back in 2005 with CS Source.

I do agree they need a new engine, as with UE4 and CE3 Source does look dated, but Valve also needs to remember how to make a proper PC game. I fear if there is a Half Life 3, it will feature non-stop pop ups, achievements, in game immersion breaking santa and other video game hats to customize the NPCs with, unlocks and drops, and a thick ugly menu which is slow and a pain to navigate.

CS GO got to the point where it is potentially game breaking (inadequate server browser functionality).

Look at RO 2, TWI tried to change some things but a lot of the loyal fans of RO were so upset by it, myself included.

To be fair, it was only the things that really went against what RO was. Arcade mode, death match, weapon unlocks, ect. Other features, like usable iron sights on sniper rifles which do make snipers much more effective in close range combat, were welcomed. The option of a smooth first person cover system and a traditional lean system seemed to be well received and I do like it. The good changes were certainly welcomed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh man...

Guacamelee; wonderful music, design, but f-in annoying insanely hard platform gameplay. Gave up aboout a third through. Sad; it was fun at the start, maybe I need to be more persistent, but I just can't be arsed to learn pixel-perfect platformers.

Rayman Oranges; as above.

Note to self: must learn to not be swayed by wonderful art. Also, no games with spikes, never ever ever again.

Legend of Dungeon; Roguelikes is something I also must avoid, I just get annoyed when I die and have to restart. Getting old I guess.

Assassings Creed Pirates -got in sale, ran like **** on my machine, had to uninstall. My own fault really, I should have known it wouldn't work.

Take on Mars; why did I buy this?

Zeno Clash 2; sadface.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To be fair, it was only the things that really went against what RO was. Arcade mode, death match, weapon unlocks, ect. Other features, like usable iron sights on sniper rifles which do make snipers much more effective in close range combat, were welcomed. The option of a smooth first person cover system and a traditional lean system seemed to be well received and I do like it. The good changes were certainly welcomed.

True but if a game franchise gets a makeover it's almost always to appeal to a larger group so if one day Valve decides to change the old CS system with a new game it will probably be to aim at a larger audience. It's a business after all.
I'm glad they kept the CS games the the same even though it's not really my thing. I have CS source and GO and I barely played them but it has its own unique gameplay that seems to stay untouched. I appreciate Valve for that.

Upvote 0
True but if a game franchise gets a makeover it's almost always to appeal to a larger group so if one day Valve decides to change the old CS system with a new game it will probably be to aim at a larger audience. It's a business after all.
I'm glad they kept the CS games the the same even though it's not really my thing. I have CS source and GO and I barely played them but it has its own unique gameplay that seems to stay untouched. I appreciate Valve for that.

As do I, my main issue is the menu/match making limitations. I only paid $3.47 and figured I would only play it for 8-10 hours anyways.

Upvote 0