• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 What You Are Up To

Sojuz

Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2008
Let me start by saying that the current stage of the game is very satisfying. The game provides a lot of fun, and the annoying bugs have been largely repaired. You can almost feel the impression of AAA title. I like a lot possibility to push spawn by enter. But unfortunately, not everything is so perfect. Still, we can come across the annoying bugs.

So what is there to improve?

1) Annoying behavior of server browser
- The browser allows deploying on the server and then thrown you back to the browser
- No possibility of stopping the servers refresh

2) No possibilities of HUD adjustment
- Ability to disable automatic overview of tactical view after each spawn
- Ability to disable notifications about the attack / takeover object (in terms of large, white text in the middle of the screen)
- Ability to reduce / increase the HUD icons

It seems to me that there are fields to improve the reception of games audio-visual.

1) Improving the audio system
- The addition of the wind whistling sound; depending on the map, the nature of the terrain and vegetation
for example
Relaxing Sounds of Nature: Wind - YouTube or
Relaxing sounds of Natural wind in the Meadow - YouTube

- Add a sound which is issued by the soldier's equipment during the movement
- More comprehensive audio support, within reason, and maintain adequate to performance

2) Improving the quality of character animation
- Fix frame-animated characters in motion
- Improvement animation of changing the direction of run; adding the momentum time, increased naturalness

3) The total remodeling of the vehicles system
It is difficult to list what different elements should be improved, by now playing tank maps / tanks at all, does not make any pleasure, actually discourages after one round. So how did you go to simplify on the infantry surface, which was alleged to you often, so the mechanics affiliated with vehicles you have done completely 'blocky'. So I ask You, to simplify the system and make it more user friendly even at the expense of historical accuracy.

Can't really argue with most of what I'm reading but I want to know what you think about the tanks specifically. If you've played Ostfront you would know the fluidity of tank combat comes from having good players crewing the vehicle. Having a driver who knows how to get you in and out of hotspots is ideal and it means the gunner can concentrate just on aiming the guns. IMO that's how RO tank combat is supposed to work and the AI along with the few maps that have tanks don't really support very engaging vehicle to vehicle fighting. Usually you find your self getting annoyed at how odd the tank driving feels. It doesn't feel like you're driving a tank at all. Its more like a hovercraft with the way it handles and how it gets stuck on the smallest of objects. To think of the number of times I found myself firing my main gun into the dirt with the driver going in full reverse just to get over a piece of wood sticking out of the terrain is sickening. The feeling of traction you get is just downright bad. If it isn't a completely flat surface you're on then you're bound to start moving out of position slowly as if every surface was just coated in WD-40. They need to feel as if they are digging up the ground as they move and feel as if they are resting firmly on top of compressed earth and snow when they stop.

Since the tank commander's chat interface was forsaken for the ability to voice chat with your tank crew instead it has made it a very niche weapon unnecessarily. There's also the matter of HE and AP shells that get reloaded in an instant at the commander's will and crewmembers that are chained to the inside of the tank. Used to be reloading a new round actually took time and getting out of a disabled tank to save your skin or do some reconnaissance on foot was just a matter of pressing a button to leave the tank. Really I just find myself wanting a button to get out of the tank more than anything just because it's so poorly designed at this point.

Upvote 0
I totally agree with some of the points raised about the tanks. Getting stuck on objects, having to fire a HE round to get un-stuck, instant change when switching between AP and HE shells (ridiculous!) and what feels like a very unrealistic top speed (read: too fast).

I'll also add that when not moving and looking through the sights, quite often the tank still moves or jiggles a bit and doesn't stay completely still.

When switching from co-ax MG to main gun, the range selector goes back to zero,

Cosmetically, it would be nice to see the tank "throw track" when the track gets damaged so that everyone around the tank knows why it can't move and also to let the enemy tank know that he knocked your track off.

Better sounds inside the tank: remember those great sounds we had in RO1? Breech operating, shell cases going BONG! when they were ejected from the breech...

How about better crew-speaking-through-crappy headset sounds?

And the 3rd person track sounds need to be WAY louder. Lots more high-pitched squeal from those centerguides and crunchiness from the sprockets.

And my God, get those awesome tank engine sounds from the old RO1 Gorlitz map. I came into RO1 late in the game but in my opinion that was the best sounding map I've ever played. Whomever made that sound clip really got it right.

Even with the Vehicle Mod Team doing fantastic work, I do not feel like the community has received a clear, definite response from TWI with regards to how they view the future of vehicles in RO2. Yoshiro has mentioned that there was a change of priority with regard to manpower ($$) allotment but that's all I can remember reading. I could be very wrong but I don't remember any of the game updates or patches that addressed tanking issues and/or bugs specifically.

As for other things that would be nice, how about a Prop_VillageHouse1 that we can actually enter and fight in? I really do not get why this was not not considered necessary. An entire village of houses we can't go into, really? I have looked at the static meshes for the houses several times and I know that interiors were never planned. Any chance one of the modelling guys could get a few hours OT (or a case of beer) to make this happen?

Noisy infantry field gear would be awesome. Someone should steal the sound from Full Metal Jacket where they are advancing into Hue city.

We really need a change to the footsteps and creeping-around sounds that infantry make. I hear guys 20 yards away but they can walk right up behind me and never I hear them. I don't care if a dude is wearing ballet slippers, you're going to hear him when he's right behind you.

Hit damage: we should fall instantly when we get shot in the legs. Period. Depending on where you fall, it may actually save your life.

And finally, all of those really, really awesome character animations from the original game trailer that made us buy the game in the first place. Moving mouths, pointing, wincing when arty goes off next to you. Yeah, I know; too hard on low-end systems. I get it. Can these features become a server-side option? I didn't buy a new computer when this game came out for nothing ;)

Upvote 0