• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What will we see from RO:HoS at GamesCom 2009?

So RO has succumbed to the zoom consolitis...

All those who say the perspective is wrong because what is 100m away seems like 200m in game are correct but what they fail to realize is that this limitation is imposed on everyone thus making it equally hard to see and hit for all participants.

If everyone used the zoom like it was designed - spot an enemy, zoom in for correct perspective, shoot - there would be no problem, but guess how people use this feature. They go prone in a dark corner in zoom mode waiting to take pot shots at people hoping for cheap kills.

The zoom feature kind of works in COD because the maps aren't that big so seeing enemies without zoom is still possible but in RO? no way.

Say goodbye to infantry combat, say hello to getting killed by some dude hiding in dark corner with zoom on that you couldn't even see.

Upvote 0
thats' really an artificial problem that exists in theory, it does not manifest in a tangible way; what is the difference between shooting someone IRL who according to your brains calculation stands at 100m of you.
and between shooting someone ingame who according to your brains is standing at 100m of you aswell?

It's not an artificial problem, it's a real one. Why? Bullet drop for one thing.

Lets take a Mosin Nagant rifle, with a muzzle velocity of 1100 m/s. At 200 meters, it takes 0.18 seconds to reach target (longer really, but I don't know how much speed falls off by then due to drag). In that 0.18 seconds, the bullet drops 16cm. At 100 meters, that's only a drop of 4 cm. That's a 12 cm difference with a rifle. That won't make a big difference with a guy standing out in the open, but if just the helmet is peaking out, that can make the difference between a hit and a miss.

Now imagine that difference with a pistol round - say an MP40 at 380 m/s muzzle velocity. 34 cm drop at 100 meters, 135 cm drop at 200 meters. That's a difference of 1.01 meters (3 feet). A 3 foot difference in aiming seems pretty relevant to me.

Upvote 0
Just so you know, the player movement speed is actually based on testing we did with one of the TWI devs running at different speeds with a PPSH in his hands ;) He's not a particularly fast runner or olympic sprinter or anything, and he could move at the exact speed the player moves in game.
That's cool to know. I wonder will weight come into factor? A guy with a MG42 obviously won't be able to run as fast as a guy with a PPSH.

freeaim while in ironsights is NOT realistic
I agree it's not realistic. The rifle or smg is locked into your shoulder and you cannot have as much movement. As for the zooming in iron sights, I'm not sure if it's realistic or not. Kinda off topic but I wonder in HOS will the camera be on the player model like in Flashpoint for example? Like being able to see your own feet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree it's not realistic. The rifle or smg is locked into your shoulder and you cannot have as much movement.

I don't know if it's actually in or not, but do you guys understand that your eyes can move independently of your skull? You can have cheek weld, but look left without moving your gun by moving ONLY YOUR EYEBALLS.

Try this as an exercise. Keep your body completely still, but swivel your eyeballs. You'll notice the world appears to move around, that's called "free-look."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know if it's actually in or not, but do you guys understand that your eyes can move independently of your skull? You can have cheek weld, but look left without moving your gun by moving ONLY YOUR EYEBALLS.

Try this as an exercise. Keep your body completely still, but swivel your eyeballs. You'll notice the world appears to move around, that's called "free-look."
I think your getting confused free look and free aim.

Upvote 0