• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What new Specimen would you like to see?

With the successful release of my Dread specimen, I want to find out what other specimens would you like to see in Killing Floor?

It's as simple as that. Tell me your ideas.

Hunter-

I know my selfish act of self promoting myself is bad, and will get rediculed, but Im really interested in a zed that is like my Volt idea. The main reason for this, is because Im interested in seeing a zed that has an AoE that ia passive and can possibly harm players. I planned this, so that the Volt would change from charged state, to uncharged state, and those who melee it when its charged, will get a nasty shock, while those who melee it when its not charged, will be spared from having any shock effects. Also, its minimal AoE, will cause water to be electrified a bit whenever it walks through water sources. Although damage is minimal, and would mostly have the player's camera view a bit blurred if they were to walk in the water that the Volt is in.

This would be the first of its kind when it comes to zeds with a passive AoE. Of course, TONS of things would have to be taken into consideration and what not, but Im open for debate

Upvote 0
Well, I think that a Hive-like ZED might be interesting. Spawns weak little buggers that annoy the hell out of you and get more and more dangerous with the time that the spawning Hive is alive. You shouldn't get dosh for killing the weak ones, though, or at least very little, e.g. 1-2 pound each, else it might be exploited by not killing the Hive and farming the little ones.

Upvote 0
Well, I think that a Hive-like ZED might be interesting. Spawns weak little buggers that annoy the hell out of you and get more and more dangerous with the time that the spawning Hive is alive. You shouldn't get dosh for killing the weak ones, though, or at least very little, e.g. 1-2 pound each, else it might be exploited by not killing the Hive and farming the little ones.

This is a very cool concept for a specimen. What if it was unmovable? That'll mean that it has to spawn in fixed, random spots on maps made for it. It'd not be very practical to implement, sure, but It would add the element of having to deal with something that isn't in the direction of the next trader location (something that might not fit too well into the game's other basic mechanics, however). That might be interresting, if not anything else.

As for a movable version: It could spawn its minions when it dies, or when it get into range. Or both. It would possibly have to deploy (become 'rooted') when it got into range of a target. When deployed its spawn range would then increase by a good margin; so that it wouldn't have to undeploy/deploy if the target got out of range just after initial deployment. But in its deployment it should become non-solid so it couldn't block other specimens.

The core function of such a specimen (one spawning small minions) is quite solid. And gameplay mechanically-wise, the minoins would be hard to hit. That is mostly unique compared to the other specimens. The Crawler is what comes closest, in that regard.

It just fits a role that isn't taken by other current specimen, which is maybe the most important factor in making a new specimen, I think, at least.

Edit: How about a pregnant mutated women, spawning baby monsters! haha It should be very scary, almost in-human looking. Crawler-like style-ish.

Edit2: I also like to see a flying specimens, but that'd be hard to make. It should be able to land to become a crawler with wings. Maybe for KF2, Tripwire, eh? :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1. Something that burrows underground with ripples to show above while approaching! Standing on incoming ripples will throw you aside.

Only explosives can hurt while underground and then anything when visible!

Superworm?

Supercentipede?

Or can i only suggest human mutants?

2. A vile creature with that only hides to ambush with long claws. This creature blends in with surroundings like a chameleon. If tracking you this creature will still try to get cover at all times, so you wont notice it at ease.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Remember that horzine wanted to create supersoldiers with their genetical engineering, not magical digglets

Well, i have imagination...that is fun for myself! Heeeh!

On the other hand: create a fast specimen that hugs you with a mechanism of ejecting killerspikes at touch and the only way to get free is to headbutt him on the nose. And before he gets to you let him alarm you with a sound like the german Stukabombers for some psychological warfare.

I am a funny guy?

Upvote 0
Well, i have imagination...that is fun for myself! Heeeh!

On the other hand: create a fast specimen that hugs you with a mechanism of ejecting killerspikes at touch and the only way to get free is to headbutt him on the nose. And before he gets to you let him alarm you with a sound like the german Stukabombers for some psychological warfare.

I am a funny guy?

No, though I admire your knowledge of the famous stuka alarm; most people think that all planes do that sound when they dive

Upvote 0
So far, the only 2 specimen i have liked the concepts of are the Shiver and the Dread. Some finetuning and they would be perfect additions for the game.

I am thinking of something a little different here now: How about something that would be easier to destroy with the use of the WELDER (to give the Welder some offensive use too)?
The Hive Mind concept could go along with this. Just like mentioned before this "Hive Mind" kind of thing spawns somewhere on the map and pumps out small annoying little creatures as already suggested. However, this Hive Mind could be something more related to the story, such as some form of cloning robotic device or something (stationary or extremely slow-moving doesn't matter), which would then be more mechanical, and thus heavily affected by the Welder. Just some random thought on that one.

Other than that, another ranged enemy (maybe more medium-range) could be an idea too. The concept mentioned earlier, a specimen that has "tentacle"-like spikes shooting out of its body and/or arms would actually fit. Think about it: The Patriarch has that ability on his chest (although his is quite shorter range and a lot more powerful than i would imagine the regular specimen's tentacle spike(s) to be). Wouldn't it make sense that a specimen would have that ability too, as a predecessing test (Similar to how the Stalker has stealth as well)?

Another concept would be something inspired from Resident Evil 4, one of the scariest enemies i faced in video game history: The Regenerator! A specimen with weak points (not necessary for KF though), that unless killed properly, just regenerates back. For KF that could mean a rapidly regenerating specimen that unless bursted down / decapitated, just keeps on going towards you. Burning it could halt or severely reduce the regeneration speed, giving Firebug some oomph too.

And a thought here: What the heck is the construction concept of the Bloat? To be a military chef? :confused: Maybe it could be tweaked to the Regenerator's concept? It already has some of its aspects (slow moving, takes extra damage from fire) and currently seems to serve no purpose for Kevin's cloning ideas, compared to the other specimen.

Upvote 0

I agree on this aswell...

but I've seen crawler mother. and simular things, but the stuff that spawns out of it is just way too small.... its just irritating. so size I believe would be really the most important thing here.

and for the cash thing. you can make it rapidly spawn 4things that u get cash for. and then it spawn slowly things that u dont get cash for.

Upvote 0
I do understand that a fair amount of players dislike the Brute as you have to apply a whole new tactic to take down the line-breaker of specimens (that is easily resolved with teamwork might I add, which was one of the primary objectives behind the creation). It can cause some headaches for solo players due to its resistances, though once you are used to the creature it isn't as difficult to bring down as it might seem. Much as I would like to say its a flawless creation and that everyone who whines about it being too hard should man up, I can't deny that it would need some polish and slight changes in game-play for the specimen to fit in with the vanilla Killing Floor. Yet TWI would indefinitely add this to the Brute as they did to the new weapons added by IJC.

- And before anyone adds that 'of course you find Brute is easy, modded servers have such and such perk boosts blah blah' I have tested it on HoE and to me he seems easier to nail than Husks at times (with all perks). And I'm not even that good a player.

Though the Shiver is the creature I'd like to see added at the moment, simply because he's pretty much perfect as he is right now. The Dread I haven't fought yet, though he looks awesome too. Another boss, the Maul would be wicked to add, though Hemi has discontinued all work on KF and I don't think it will be brought up by another modder, though that badass is the one I would LOVE to see.

Upvote 0
Personally, I quite enjoy playing with the Brute (but i can also see why many players would dislike it). Sad that on the one hand so few servers actually run the Brute mutator (or friendly fire) but then again you hear people complaining about how certain weapon packs etc. make the game too easy... if you think it's too easy, add some challenge yourself :IS2:
I have to admit, though, that I haven't yet tried the Shiver. From the videos I've seen it looks nice but I haven't played KF that much recently.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My ultimate "specimen":

Dead Space and The Thing movie recombinant - I really like the concept of viral mutated recombinant ... Playing KF with DS specimens just makes the game creepier and I would love to see a version of DS with The Rotting mixed together.

That means as the specimens continues to take damage but is not killed off, it can ingest and mutate any corpse it finds (dead players or even other killed off specimens) to rebuild itself until it is either killed off or one big ugly mess.

Just think - crawler loses almost limbs, but not headshot yet, crawls onto a dead player corpse and binds onto it creating a DS / The Thing type hybrid ... you can shoot limbs off or the guts out but if it latches onto a dead gorefast, siren or even a FP/Scrake, and mutates again.. watch out...

There should be variants based on current or last host type... upside down heads, multiple limbs, multiple heads, extensions, bone shaping... whatever...even a Half Life Head Crab Zombie with chomping torso would be incredible and just nasty...

Balance - with more players, either these mutants can grow bigger or the specimen's chance to mutate goes up so there are more of them... Lets see how that M99 takes down a big recombinant now...

The sound effects should be more DS or from the movie the Thing. Those two just creeps me out everytime I watch or play it.

The recombinant would be more scary to me than either Nemesis or the Patriarch since we never know how many times it would take to kill it and if any host tissue is around, it can "recombine" and mutate again...

Other variants I really like some of the WTF, and WPC zeds... I swear the Brute, Shiver at least should be whitelisted. Its too bad the Wolfenstein server is down as that had a couple of really nasty but cool variations too...

Upvote 0
This may sound a bit silly, but a friend & I were shooting ideas around of a specimen, for example if anyone has seen Dragon Ball Z, the idea of a Saibaman & how it shoots out acid, also blowing up their opponent, kinda like the dread, but keeping it as small as the crawler, grabbing like a clot, fast like the gorefast, & acidic like the bloat, as well as being the typical green. I think that could be done really well in the right modder's hands

Upvote 0