• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What level of performance should I be expecting?

Tet5uo

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
I just want to make sure I'm not expecting too much from this engine.

My current spec is as follows...

i7 980x @ 4.25 gHz
12gb DDR3 1867mHz
3 way SLI GTX480 (840 mHz core)
SSD raid0 array of 6 disks (areca 1880 controller)
1500W PSU
3x 120Hz monitors in landscape surround config 5760x1080 resolution.

Am I out of line assuming I should be getting blazing FPS even with Ultra settings?

At the moment I'm only running the game 1920x1080, yet only get a tenous 50 FPS on most busy maps with frequent dips and stutters to the 40's and outright freezes to 0 fps accompanied with sound glitches.

I've only managed to play a few matches,Can't bring myself to play the game with these framerates. Most of my 2 hours in game has been spent trying out various config tweaks and settings.

I've sent in a perfdump of some spots where the frames are low, but that's about it I'd really love to help more if there's something else I can send/tell you about my set up.

I think I'm rebuilding this machine anyways in a few weeks with a few new components, so hopefully the new set-up doesn't have whatever odd bug is apparently bottlenecking this up somewhere on my current rig. It almost seems like DPC latency issues with the way it can hitch and stutter, but I'm just guessing. Wonder if my NF200 chip on the mobo is hindering things somehow.

Last edited:
The frame rate issues is part in due to tripwires bad coding for this game, poor utilisation of highend hardware creating bottlenecks everywhere. Poor utilisation of the cpus power are bottlenecking your gpus. Might be a while tell they fix it. I have the same problem on my system also

Last edited:
Upvote 0
if you go with 3 SLI expect worse performance than a single 480...for now that is,once when drivers released for RO2 you'll be fine...

On another note,dont getmad but 3 way SLI you just blew an extra money on the 3rd card,2 way SLI gives you better performance over 3 way,no game supports proper more than 2 GPU's.

It's definitely not a waste. I game when I can at 5760x1080. Surround scales very well at those resolutions with that extra GPU.

Upvote 0
Okay, so messing around, disabling SLI wasn't working very well, performance did go down a bit, but it was still stuttery.

So I disabled the 2 extra cards in the device manager and tried the game.

The framerate was suddenly smooth, and playable with high settings, never dropping below 60 and probably averaging 75 FPS. Though the issues with sound popping and drops to 0 fps at the same time have still been happening.

So single card mode wasn't enough, actually disabling the cards in windows though brought huge improvements to the smoothness.

Would like to use my SLI, but this makes the game apparently playable for now, will keep trying a few other maps and see how it goes. Hope this info might help you guys.

Well, just did fallenfighters, and still getting drops into the 40's with the single card set up, so not sure if that's just normal, or if I should expect a bit better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd say your experience is pretty typical. I'm using a GTX 590 SLI with a 1090t six core. My frame rates are 45~60 with Ultra settings. Game play is quite smooth, but I know I could do better. As has been stated, the real problem for many of us is not a lack of horsepower, but rather that the code engine is not yet taking full advantage of good hardware. Hopefully, this will change going forward. I think what typically happens during development is that a broad target is set for hardware compatibility to increase potential market share. I'd do the same thing if it was my baby. I'm confident that the code will get more elegant as time goes forward. Right now, Tripwire just plain needs to get return on investment if this good work is going to continue. Simple economic reality. It will get better.

Upvote 0
Is it worth it to upgrade from a my cpu in the sig to a 2500k? for gaming and this game?

I have two PC's:
955 BE @ 3.6 GHz, HD 4850 512MB
i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz, GTX 560 Ti 1024MB OC'd

If I were you I would wait for the next generation or two of CPU's. The i5-2500k is excellent.. but the 955 BE is nothing to sneeze at either and should be enough to hold you over for some time. Unless you have a lot of disposable cash, then go for it, hard to give real advice without financial knowledge ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirtybandit
Upvote 0
I have two PC's:
955 BE @ 3.6 GHz, HD 4850 512MB
i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz, GTX 560 Ti 1024MB OC'd

If I were you I would wait for the next generation or two of CPU's. The i5-2500k is excellent.. but the 955 BE is nothing to sneeze at either and should be enough to hold you over for some time. Unless you have a lot of disposable cash, then go for it, hard to give real advice without financial knowledge ;)

Ill guess ill just wait for this game to sort out its cpu / overall issues rather then buy a new cpu. I am not rich :p
Ill just wait. I got the witcher 2.0 and the battlefield 3 beta soon to tide me over

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Well I sent in a perfdump and some info and now I've gotten fed up with trying to enjoy a game as stuttery and slow as this one. Uninstalled today I'll just play other games that are less frustrating.

Maybe they'll get the performance issues sorted in a few months and I can re-install and actually enjoy my game play. If not... I guess I just gave a charitable donation to TWI.

Upvote 0