• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS What do you think of the Garand sights?

I find the weapon is fine to use in very close range (put the ring on the guys body and fire) or at long range (sweep across known spots for enemies peaking out), but isn't the best at the middle area, and certainly not for tracking moving targets. You've gotta develop a method for using the M1 Garand at these mid-ranges. Aim down when tracking a target, then at the last second bring up the sights and fire.

Upvote 0
I'm ok with the sights. Atleast they are somewhat usable compared to the ones in Resistance & Liberation:
rnl_stcomedumont0237.jpg
(realistic but hard to use).

Upvote 0
Set up your Garand on the bench and look down the sights with your normal cheek position. Find two references at 100 yards that are at the widest parts of the sight (inside). Put some traffic cones out there if you have to.

Measure the distance between the two objects.

Then the devs can tweak the model or position of the model so that the equal distance in game results in the same FOV through the rear aperture.

Make sense?

Upvote 0
Only game I saw do it right is one of the early Brothers in Arms games.

Also here is a real life picture of m1 carbine sights that somewhat simulates how it is supposed to look.

http://www.gunpics.net/ironsights/m1carbine.JPG

Having said that, judging only by screenshot, RS has nice sights but they look like they have a tendency to become an obstacle instead of an asset.

Attachments

• 600px-RTH30_Baker_M1_2.jpg
    600px-RTH30_Baker_M1_2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, it's definitely harder compared with other WW2-Games, but after a while I got used to these sights. And we shouldn't forget that the Garand is pretty effective, especially in closer/mid combat situations.. so all in all I'd say that it's a good tradeoff (and it's more balanced this way imho).

Upvote 0
I made a thread about this without seeing this one. As I stated in my own thread, the main problem with the sights is that it doesn't represent the method of shooting with both eyes open. If you aim down your sights with a ghost ring, and keep both eyes open, but focus on your front sight, the rear ghost ring becomes almost invisible, and makes it quick to aim. If this would be modeled in game, I would be so much happier. They may have left it like this for balance, but it doesn't seem like it. It may have just been something that they didn't consider. If, however, it was for balance, because the Americans supposedly get better weapons, like Fisher said, having so many Japs with SMG's defeats that purpose.

Upvote 0
yeah why do the Japs have so many SMGs?? should be like reserved only for the commander on a select few maps only, the Type 100 was almost non existant on the frontlines on the vast majority of the battlefields.....But yes the M1's sights are fine for me, Im so accustomed to realistic peep sights in games, peep sights in real life are better than noch sights because peep sights have less things to line up (notch sights require the rear sight lined up with the front sight, then holding those together, put them on the target) peep sights is just putting the front sight on the target, while looking through the peep hole....Ive gotten real accustmed to the M1's sights through owning a few Garands over the years and in games, so RS's sights are just another M1 peep sights in a game, better than most arcade game sights.

Upvote 0