• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What do I DO?!

Sherman

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
I'm planning on making an upgrade to my aging computer soon. Now, what I'm really looking to get is a dual-core 64 bit processor like the AMD 64 X2 4600+. What I actually am asking for are opinions. Is there something I should get besides a new processor? Do you think I should go for a different processor? Right now I have an AMD 64 3200+ and I'm getting the X2 because it uses the same socket (939). I have a gig of RAM and a Geforce 6800. What are your recommendations?

What are c2d's? Crash to desktops? Would RAM help more than a processor? Is my processor really not that bad? I've been out of this whole PC thing for a while and I feel very outdated and behind the curve. Is a PCI-Express mobo something I should look into or is AGP still going to be around for a while?

Upvote 0
I'm looking very hard at getting an Intel E6400 2dc and throwing it into a Asrock 775Duel-VSTA MB.

That will allow me to keep my AGP Nvidia and my DDR1 ram.

Check out the Anantech web site for tests and info !

AMD has been KO'ed by Intel for the first time in about 10 years.

The board has both memory slots (ddr1&2) and supports for AGP & PCIe graphic cards.

If you look at Toms hardware CPU chart, the choice is quickly made !

The PCIe slot is limited to 4x but tests show that in mid range GPUs the loss is quite small, 4-5%.
I've seen some Bios tweaks that can take care of that.

Anyhow my choice is pretty well made, it should come in at about 250

Upvote 0
Well, I've been thinking hard on what to spend my money on. Either a PS3, XBOX 360 or a PC upgrade.

I have one deciding factor, I want to be able to hook the PC up to my 60" HDTV and have an HD experience like the PS3/XBOX 360. Is this possible? I'm looking at getting a Geforce 8800 and it has HDTV outputs but would it be the same quality/experience as a PS3/XBOX 360?

Upvote 0
I think there is a material limit somewhere, I seem to have 41" running around in my head somewhere but have no means of confirming this as fact, and what with the latest hardware, who knows ?

But what I can tell you is that I plugged my 27" Samsung HD ready TV into my Nvidia 6600gt and its the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm running at 1360x760, 32bit, with a little bit of candy.

I love it.
There is absolutely no way of going back to my very nice 19" crt monitor ....

I have a pretty deep desk and the screen is set about 32" from my keyboard/ mouse.

The image is not as crisp and clear as I would like, because of the resolution limit but the overall impression takes care of that !

Tanks a lot !

Upvote 0
Well, what I'm looking at getting is:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI ATX
PNY Geforce 8800 GTS PCI-e x16 HDCP

Then if I have any additional money after that I'm getting:

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz
1GB RAM
600W Power Supply

The whole reason I want to beef my computer up is so it's ready for DirectX 10. Now, I want to set it up with my HD which is really halting my deciding factor for whether I should invest more in a PC which will become obsolete in the next year or I should just get an XBOX 360 or PS3. I don't know whether I should get a PS3 or XBOX 360 if I was to get that instead because PS3 games seem to just be the same FF, MGS, GT with better graphics. The 360 looks like it has some great original games and online but I don't want to support Microsoft any more than I have to.

Quick question, in order to get DirectX 10 would I have to buy Vista? If that's the case, then I'm just going to get a PS3 because **** Vista.

Upvote 0
What are c2d's? Crash to desktops? Would RAM help more than a processor? Is my processor really not that bad? I've been out of this whole PC thing for a while and I feel very outdated and behind the curve. Is a PCI-Express mobo something I should look into or is AGP still going to be around for a while?

-c2d us Intel Core 2 Duo or something like that... (But Crash to desktop sounds fantastic !!!! I love it)(I am an AMD fan)
Its not for you since you already have the 939pin mobo to milk

-if you have 2x 512 ddr400 as cheep ram
I would suggest investing in high quality 2x1024 for a total of 2gig ram... it will make a big difference considering today's new games require a minimum of 1gig ram to run with eye candysh effects.

-Upgrading to the Latest CPU you're Motherboard can handle is always good, you can then Milk you're computer for an extra year.

Don't feel very outdated... I still use my 462 pin AthlonXP3000+
So you feeling outdated is like me (23 year old) going to see a 50 year old man and say that I feel old... lol

Upvote 0