• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics What do commandos do when a scrake/FP appears?

Flesh Pound - Shoot with the SCAR until it starts raging, reload, wait until it gets a bit closer and shoot it up near the head timing it right so it will get decapitated, then finish it off with an AK if not dead.

Scrake - Shoot around 10 SCAR bullets in it, reload, shoot a full-clip into it, if not dead finish it off with an AK.

Upvote 0
//KFChar.ZombieFleshPound
HealthMax=1500.000000
Health=1500
PlayerCountHealthScale=0.250000
HeadHealth=700.000000
PlayerNumHeadHealthScale=0.250000
BlockDamageReduction=0.400000 //hurrhurr *Don't ask me^^*

//KFChar.ZombieScrake
HealthMax=1000.000000
Health=1000
PlayerCountHealthScale=0.500000
HeadHealth=650.000000
PlayerNumHeadHealthScale=0.250000

Alright, I've been told the wrong info then.

Wow, head health is 65% of Scrake hp....That means it's head health is just under 4k hp.....That's pretty damn insane.

So what then of the > 50% hp, 1/15 of total hp system? Anyone care to clarify how these 2 theories co-exist?

Upvote 0
Notice Scrake's normal HP scales up 50% for every player, so at normal 6 player that's 4000HP, where as it's head scales only 25% more per player, so normal 6 player is 1650HP, which is less than 50% of total HP. This would explain how Scrake can be decaped without raging it. There's a 250HP margin for errors there too.

The > 50% theory is wrong IMHO, I haven't seen any hard evidence for it yet.

Upvote 0
There is an achievement for killing fps with a scar, that way for a reason, not meant to be really easy. Having other teammates to take down its health, then finish it off with a scar before anyone else kills it. Or if you have lots of money a pipe bomb will knock its health down.
Or duel hand cannons after unloading your automatic weapon. Hand cannon by itself can stop charging monsters like gorefest and stalkers fairly easy.

I was trying to lvl up my demo to lvl 5 so I was on the map defense on suicidal, I had a fleshpound walk over one of my bombs and charge me and I unloaded 16 rounds from duel hand cannons and killed him. So if you are going commando have at least on hand cannon to stop monsters in their tracks or duel for tough monsters. Start the first 1 to 2 waves as ss and switch to commando once you get money for hand cannons. Most of the time on suicidal bullpups and hand cannons spawn the most aside from armor and fire axes so you might get one of them or both for free.

Upvote 0
Notice Scrake's normal HP scales up 50% for every player, so at normal 6 player that's 4000HP, where as it's head scales only 25% more per player, so normal 6 player is 1650HP, which is less than 50% of total HP. This would explain how Scrake can be decaped without raging it. There's a 250HP margin for errors there too.

The > 50% theory is wrong IMHO, I haven't seen any hard evidence for it yet.

I hate to sound like an elitist; but I have been playing Suicidal for too long to be able to relate to any description of Normal. I know that Fleshpounds do less damage than Gores, and everyone's a millionaire, but that's about it.

In theory, if it was maybe Arcade-Shopping-Centre with a 50m distance, you can kill a Scrake without getting hit. But why expend 50 shots when one bolt from a non-SS does the trick?

In a typical game, Scrakes come either in multiples with a few other ZEDs, or come singularly with TONS of other ZEDs, so by the time you've cleared the trash said-Scrake is 10metres from your last-defensive-line. Without support spec or someone with an xbow, Scrakes can really destroy a team's game plan on the harder difficulties.

Upvote 0
I don't understand why people find Scrakes, Fleshpounds, and Sirens so scary as a non-sharpshooter.

I can kill a Scrake (level 5 commando) in about 1 clip of my SCAR (which I WILL have before they show up)

And if I can't, I just weaken to slightly over half hp, I can tell via commando perk, then use a whole clip to finish them.

For a Fleshpound I just get a safe distance, unload a full clip, reload, repeat... and it dies. (this doesn't work AS well on large games, but then you just take 2-3 shots every 5 or so seconds, or just get a teeny bit farther away and use a few rounds from a 3rd clip)

Sirens as a commando are laughable, not mentioned here, but people always complain about them.

I actually appreciate that they don't hurt my armor, keeps it nice and fresh for the big scary things. (i.e. when flesh pounds spawn behind that car next to you)

So yeah, in summary:

Step 1. Buy a SCAR.
Step 2. Weaken with half a clip to a full clip depending on what it is.
Step 3. Use a full clip to kill it.
Step 4. Gloat to your team that you just soloed a flesh pound while they got killed by gorefasts.

Upvote 0
People who answer this thread or any similar thread should say which diff they are playing on and how many they generally play with. I mean it's hard to take advices if some people say they can kill a fleshy with one mag in the belly while others say they need to empty 3 mags.

I play mostly suicidal and I'm almost never alone and I've got level 6 commando. I use to count with the worst scenario suicidal 6 players. I've counted the shots a fleshy can take in a map made only for that reason. And I got it to 35 Clean headshots to decap the fleshy while 73 in the belly to kill it. Neither of them is possible to do unless there's some special circumstances. If you use both an AK and scar it is possible to kill a fleshy with one mag of each and have 8 ak-shots left over if you score all clean headshots, I would say that no one here would ever be able to do that unless there's (like I said) any special circumstances. So always when I see a fleshy on suicidal and I've got living teammates I try to alert them so they can help. If they're all dead or can't help me due to any reason I run unless I know the fleshy's got low hp, and hope that I can find a crossbow or any way to delay my death.

If I'm alone in a server the fleshpounds have a lot less hp which makes it possible to take them with 1scarmag+1akmag and they don't have to be very well placed to bring down him. Unfortunatly I tend to die, I have to practise more.

When it comes to scrakes, In a 6 player game they are hard to bring down but not too hard as it takes about 19 headshots with scar if I remember right. Which gives you really good chances. And if you miss more than 6 all you have to do is bring up the ak if you've got one and blast it away. There's a good chance he will saw some in your arm though. I just faced one of those scrakes and I failed to kill him with the scar so I went over to the ak but I failed that aswell :)eek:) so I had to reload with it and finish him off with first bullet from the 3rd mag, and I survived with 2 hp.

To the topic question I say as said before: stay away from fleshys if possible while you can kill scarkes without any serious problems.

Upvote 0
I do play hard, I play almost entirely hard.

I generally also play solo but I've been doing more multiplayer lately.

Normal is too easy. Enough on that topic, so don't accuse me of only playing normal.

I HAVE also played suicidal a bit, and with good aiming (i.e. mostly headshots, if you aim well enough) a Fleshpound STILL isn't that hard.

Stop complaining.

P.S. I'm a level 5 commando because I don't play very often, and when I do it's never on Normal, it's either Hard or Suicidal.

P.P.S. Nothing is scary in hard+ with a SCAR, as long as you can consistenly get headshots and deal with the recoil, neither of which are hard.

Upvote 0
I just don't believe any of you who say that FP's are no problem with the SCAR. Your accuracy has to be too good in too small an amount of time. This isn't necessary a problem if you have team mates, but if you're alone, the FP is going to get you.

Your only shot is to learn to maneuver well and trap it around some piece of scenery. I've seen a commando take out an FP on suicidal by running around one of the lamp posts on WestLondon, but it took a while and it was mostly for fun.

Upvote 0
Flesh Pound - Shoot with the SCAR until it starts raging, reload, wait until it gets a bit closer and shoot it up near the head timing it right so it will get decapitated, then finish it off with an AK if not dead.

Scrake - Shoot around 10 SCAR bullets in it, reload, shoot a full-clip into it, if not dead finish it off with an AK.

This is spot on in comparison to my FP tactic. Also, the closer the FP gets, the more I alter my path by making sharp turns and hopping out of the path of his arms. Occasionally I will catch ONE arm but if you do everything perfect the FP is around 10% of his health by this point and is easily dispatched.

In suicide...I just die. Quickly. Story of my life, really.

Upvote 0
When I play commando and see an fp, I usually get my bullpup, empty a full clip on its head (b/c bullpup has the steadiest iron sights of all commando weapons), especially when it's far away, and then I get out a fully loaded SCAR when it gets close and I empty the clip in its head. I set both to full automatic when facing FP's.

Upvote 0
sadly most of the time there are players using the M14 and only make the FPs mad, which get them killed.

But I'm playing a lvl 6 Commando. If I own a Scar, Scrakes are not really that problem. 1,5 SCAR clips are far the enough to kill them on Hard. Only FPs are somthing where i could do not much against them. Maybe only Grenade or Pipespam.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I got to Lv. 6 commando this past weekend, and I still find myself relatively useless against FP's and scrakes. Granted, if I spot a scrake from far away I can usually take it down in time (assuming there aren't too many lower level specimens charging at me), but what do I do against FP's?

At first I tried the same tactics that I did with the scrake - try my best to headshot it with auto-fire on from a medium distance, but that proved entirely ineffective. I don't do nearly as much damage to it as I do to practically anything else.

Should I just abandon FP's and let sharpshooters handle them?

Here's what I do, and I find it works really well:
get both SCAR -AND- AK-47 by the time scrakes start showing up.

Use the AK47 on full auto as primary, and keep the SCAR on auto as a backup.

When a scrake comes, I unload on his face until he starts charging , then I use the quick switch ("best weapon" keybinding) to SCAR and finish him off with that, since it's faster than reloading, and will usually take his head off.

on easier difficulties, this works o the FP, too, but on harder difficulties, leave him for the sharpshooter and only engage if he's enraged and getting close to your teammates.

Upvote 0
Use the AK47 on full auto as primary, and keep the SCAR on auto as a backup.
Wat
Use the scar, one hit kill crawlers, clots, gorefasts (with headshots), do greater damage to anything else.
Granted, if you're going to spam, AK is superior because of greater mag capacity. But if you're spamming you're not being helpful in the first place.

Upvote 0
I only play suicidal really, FPs are not easy for a commando, scar or not. Anyone who reckons they're no threat is full of ****.

Scrakes: Plink at their head with a few bullets, just to reduce their health. Reload. Unload. Sorted. It should take most of 1 clip after you've weakened it, it should never require you to swap weapon.

FPs: First one you encounter? Dump two pipes, those weaken and enrage it, enraging animation = stationary target with sod all health. Kill. For other encounters, empty a long range clip into it. Reload. Empty the clip into it again, swap weapon, empty that clip into it. Depending on how reliably you headshotted it, you might get away without being hit. Unlikely, I usually get hit once.

Upvote 0