• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What did I let myself in for?

I too am a convert, although i will admit my conversion is not 100% yet...DoDS is still fantastic fun IMO. Donner, Kalt and Flash are so fast paced and crazy that i cant help enjoying them (i dont know what people have against small maps).

But RO gives me that large map, one hit-one kill game. It fills in the gaps that DoDS doesnt quite block. They are both great games, and i think ill continue to play both.

I have noticed that alot of people are like me though (just go into a DOD server and ask about RO). Thats cool.

Upvote 0
Ok biggest thing coming from DoD or CS or almost any other FPS - RO is NOT a hitscan game. If you put the sites on top of a moving target you will miss. If you don't compensate for bullet drop, you will miss.

This causes a lot of new players to get frustrated with RO since their old FPS (twitch) skills don't translate very well. You have to untrain your aim to a certain extent. I find that I can either play RO or any of the hitscan FPSes. If I try to switch between them, my aim is horrible for at least an hour until I can get the reflexes re-trained. I find its extremely helpful to crank the mouse sensativity way up for about five minutes to force yourself to overcompensate and actually think about your aim for a bit.

So my biggest recomendation is to think about where the bullet's going to be, not where the weapons pointed. Once it 'clicks', you'll find it really hard to go back to DoD:S =)

Upvote 0
When I got the game I thought the realism will force teamwork but still random pubs will be random pubs, the only way to get half of the enjoyment out of the game you have to take it seriously.

For full enjoyment you need to find a structured server, or get a mic and join a clan. Which I'm to lazy to do so I'm waiting for that tacticalgamer server to gain popularity, I played the one for BF2 and I was impressed how much teamwork was used.

Upvote 0
I'm really liking the looks of this game. How many people are online at a time, on average? I have been hooked on BF2 lately (the PRMM mod, not vanilla!), but the BF2 engine is so limited in what the developers over there can do. Red Orchestra looks like it can do some of the things Battlefield can't. My clan leader and I were going do DL this and try it out for a week or so, and if we do, we are going to bring the entire clan over. I also know a bunch of guys over in the PR forums who would enjoy a game like this.

~I am confused, however, at the decision not to allow a paypal purchase. I don't have a credit card and getting ahold of this game is going to be a pain otherwise.

Upvote 0
My WWII FPS Experience went thusly:

1: Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Very fun multiplay (64 player servers!?!), but I found myself wanting more realistic weapons and gameplay.

2: Medal of Honor - Allied Assault: WAY more realistic than RtCW. It kept me happy for a while.

3: WWII Online: Started playing in Summer 2002 and have been playing it ever since. It's attractiveness is its depth. It has a lot of issues, but there's so much to do in the game, it's hard to get bored with it.

4: DoD: A nice change of pace from WWIIOL, and more fun than Medal of Honor. I played this for several years.

5: RO:Mod: Finally a game with pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. It takes WWIIOL's realism and takes it to the next level (for infantry). Iron Sights Roxxors!

6: DoD:Source: I downloaded this with very high expectations considering how much I liked the original game. Unfortunately, it just felt like a step backwards from RO, so I stopped playing after one day.

7: RO:OST: This is pretty much the only FPS I play now. Infantry play is pretty much perfect. Lean, Iron Sights, Manual Bolting, etc. I lub it!

As you can tell, I'm a pretty big "realism" nut. So my game progression pretty much reflects this. Please note that I did not include any of the "flash in the pan" games on that list, particularly because I played them through in single-player mode and then put them on the shelf to never see the light of day again. This includes HD2 (a good game), CoD2, Brothers in Arms, BF1942, etc...

Upvote 0
six7 said:
I'm really liking the looks of this game. How many people are online at a time, on average? I have been hooked on BF2 lately (the PRMM mod, not vanilla!), but the BF2 engine is so limited in what the developers over there can do. Red Orchestra looks like it can do some of the things Battlefield can't. My clan leader and I were going do DL this and try it out for a week or so, and if we do, we are going to bring the entire clan over. I also know a bunch of guys over in the PR forums who would enjoy a game like this.

~I am confused, however, at the decision not to allow a paypal purchase. I don't have a credit card and getting ahold of this game is going to be a pain otherwise.
I play PRMM as well. I think the teamwork there is the best I've had..
even to RO.
The reason is that the squad system gets its full potential.
Ie Its easy to stick together close to mates to have any fun and win.

RO is good if you play in a clan, but public its very hard to get that level of teamplay though the realism and feel is alot better than PRMM.

I hope that RO will find a way to increase teamplay more in RO.

Game story:
0) Return to castle wolfenstein - hoho
1) Doom - scary and fun
2) Dukem nukem - Great and fun game!
3) Quake I + II - Well... Fun for some time
4) Deltaforce 1+2+3 - Great game! Bullet penetration, ballistics and Long viewdistance.
5) Rainbow 6 - Good realism.Limited.
5) Ghost recon - Great, had realism. But to many limitations.
6) Hidden and dangerous - Great realism and SP teamwork feel. Many bugs.
7) Operation flashpoint - Best game ever. Never got tired of it. Unlimited.
8) Counterstrike - Fun for some time, decayed.
9) Medal of honour - Intense at first, but decayed (but couldnt crouch!!!)
10) Day of defeat - Superb, did this for along time. Had realistic sounds and feel.
11) Aliens - Creepy, but limited
12) Global operations - Exellent Bullet penetration system! Some nice feats. LImited feel :(
13) BF 1942 - Good, but lack of realism
14) Soldier of fortune 2 - Great Goore FX, LImited in feel.
15) Call of duty - Superb, realistic feel, but decayed.
16) Desert combat: BF 1942 Mod - Great
17) HIdden & dangerous 2 - Good.
18) Half life 2 - Ok/boring
19) COunterstrike: Source - Ok, limited
20) BF2 - Ok, limited
21) Call of duty 2 - Good, but limited
22) BF2 Realitymod - Great teamplay, limited feeling
23) DOD Source - Disappointed, they got nowhere.
23) Red Ochestra - Great feel, missing teamwork (as compared to past XP)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, i am definately the exception, and this post will probably be ignored, but i still play BOTH (yes, it is allowed). Some nights i get on RO, and i just don't have the patience for the slowness, so i leave and DoD:S is perfect to kill my inpatience off, as you have small maps with quick action, and you can just basically go and blow things to hell.

But of course, when i really want a tactical war, i get onto RO and play some. RO is without a doubt a great game, and for me, it doesn't replace, but fills in the gaps that DoD doesn't manage to.

You can ignore this post, or argue, whatever, it's just my opinion. I play one just as much as the other.

(I just realised it's an old posted and i posted here already, no change yet :))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I jump back and forth between bf1942, bf2, & RO.

I like BF1942 because it rewards the smart player as much as the twitch player. You have so much freedom and diversity to complete objectives. I do really well in 42 because I outhink, not neccessarily outgun my opponents. Still my favorite game of all time. It's the perfect balance of realism & arcade IMO.

BF2 is a twitchfest and being a smart player is not as much of an asset (mainly because the UAV's giving away your movements), but I love the weapons and no other game comes close to manifesting as much spontaneous teamplay during a pub game. I've rarely found a game where 5 or 6 guys will work as a squad, but it happens all the time in BF2 and it's a beautiful thing when it does. Great looking game with lots of action, good teamplay, but very unrealistic, twitchy, & buggy.

RO felt sluggish & clumsy to me at first coming from the BF series, but now I'm used to it and love it. It's such a nice change of pace. I wish there was a hint more teamplay in pubs though. Because RO has a "front line" on most maps, it feels like there is more teamwork going on than there really is. Everyone is doing their own thing, just in close proximity to other teammates. It still has more teamwork than most and probably 2nd to only BF2 in that respect. The sky is the limit for this game if updates keep coming. BTW, I LOVE the new map!

Last edited:
Upvote 0