• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What Are Some Memorable Custom Maps For You?

Kenero

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Whether you prefer stock or custom maps, I am sure that a majority of you have at least tried a custom map before. While personally I enjoy custom maps, there have been a few times in which a custom map has been quite memorable for me.

In this thread, recount some custom maps that were quite memorable for you. It doesn't have to include whether it was balanced for gameplay or some bad players nor do you need to remember the exact name of the map, just describe some parts of it. It can be memorable in ways such as: it was a beautiful map, has good atmosphere, gave intense gameplay, etc.

--

Personally a custom map I remember but do not know the name is one where the team I was at were playing at some type of oil refiner in the middle of the ocean. It was quite a breathtaking map, despite being so big. I remember walking overglass in which I could see the ocean underneath and the evening sky color reflected in contrast to what appeared to be a quite oil production site. I love how zeds kept pouring everywhere and passing through an art gallery, to a court area, or near the tanks was very enthralling.

Another custom map I remember was basically a college campus that in the back room had a locked sealed door, such as a forbidden experiment. It felt like a map out of an old game I used to play about colleges doing secret experiments and having to run buildings to buildings, to the library, classroom, and even to the auditorium all the way to the sealed off area was a great experience because zeds pop out of no where.

What are some of your memorable experience with custom maps?

First map I played was doom2 with friends who said I had to get a map pack (howlin wolf? think that was it) because KF had next to no official maps.. followed their instructions and joined their server. It got old quickly, but I loooved concert hall and some others whose names elude me.

Couldn't stand offices, biotics lab, or manor, but liked farm. WHAT WAS WRONG WITH ME.

Upvote 0
Here's an old thread of 8 of my personal favorites I ran into. I still love Harbour, that is an amazing map.

Harbor can give you chills.

Giles-F is another map that its atmosphere is very prominent. You can easily get sucked into the atmosphere of that map. Forbidden religion? Dungeon floating just above waters? Spell circles and zeds appearing from them? Ouch!

Upvote 0
I think my favorite custom map is KF-Chthon. It captures a mystical underground adventure perfectly. Goes well with my liking for the Spebbington skin. The attention to lightning, the wealth of statics, the layout that is confusing yet simple. I have spend countless hours on the wooden platform with my mates, hoping that the Fleshpounds would not come both ways at once.

While nowhere as pretty, KF-Aventine has a very gritty feel, and lends itself to intense close action. The place is a combination of rundown dirty and hallucinatory, and again a very interesting layout that you can navigate once you know it, but takes a long time to get used to.

I had the luck of joining a beta session on KF-Oilrig. I am afraid it never got whitelisted, but it was extremely impressive piece of work. You could very well believe the layout, as the mapper had worked on oil rigs for years, and unless you relied on exploits, it was hard as rock. It felt like Icebreaker on steroids.

Honarable mention goes to: Swamp, AspenManor, CarryOnUp, Thelongdarkroad, Cornermarket, Hell, Sewers, Harbour, Fogfield. Swamp got removed from the whitelist, the rest is on regular rotation on our server. I like Murphys maps, but for some reason they mess up said server and are not in rotation.

EDIT: Timur, gib link

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some favorite custom maps are
KF-Swamp
KF-ThelongDarkRoad
KF-Harbor
KF-DeathBasinSands
KF-Streetv3-CE
KF-Corruption
KF-Distrikt
KF-FogFieldBeta5
A memorable map is KF-CardenHill-v3a , the map of a mental institute. Despite the whole map theme being a bit creepy in general, i was soloing one night and while i was at the trader in the basement level , upon leaving i heard a woman loud scream very suddenly (map feature) and almost crapped myself :D

Upvote 0
Memorable because they were so different......

LethalLavaLand - Hard to forget playing Killing Floor in a Super Mario map.

Wolf - Made me feel like it was 1993 all over again, playing Wolfenstein 3d.

HauntedMansion - Creepy map. Especially when you start hearing and seeing things. I was legitimately afraid to go in the attic.

Tachikawa - A subway station in Tokyo. Zombies constantly get hit by trains... sometimes the Patriarch, too. Good fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Memorable because they were so different......

LethalLavaLand - Hard to forget playing Killing Floor in a Super Mario map.

Wolf - Made me feel like it was 1993 all over again, playing Wolfenstein 3d.

HauntedMansion - Creepy map. Especially when you start hearing and seeing things. I was legitimately afraid to go in the attic.

Tachikawa - A subway station in Tokyo. Zombies constantly get hit by trains... sometimes the Patriarch, too. Good fun.

If you know a server that hosts hauntedmansion would love to try it out!

Upvote 0