• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Weird Marksmanship Tip

Alright, don't be too quick to judge, but this weird psychological trick greatly improves my accuracy.

Because of the limited FOV discussed in other threads, it may be hard to aim and acquire your rifle on a few pixels. It usually, in my case, focuses my eyes onto the Mauser's triangle and brackets and fitting in the target.

However, I have discovered a new way to more quickly get your target in the triangle... Pretend you have heat vision.

Really. Just pretend the center of the screen is where your heat vision is aimed, and swing around the mauser to that spot where you want to aim, and if you were looking at an enemy, your triangle should be on him, if not off by a few hairs. This extrapolation gets better with practice.

I am not sure if you get what I am saying, but I am trying to explain how to avoid the tunnel-vision of looking down the iron sights and the haste-to-acquire that beginner marksmen hurry to do on the target.

I find it is more accurate and time efficient to pretend your vision is the sight and you "fix your sight on it" instead of the other way around, if that makes sense.

Well, this just works for me, I hope you people don't think I am too crazy. Maybe I am not explaining myself well.

Heat vision.

Must be on OSX.

Use this to explain yourself.

K98Template.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tough to Explain

Tough to Explain

Admiral Scharnhorst,

I get what you're saying only because I use that in real life, but it's really difficult to visualize what you're trying to explain. It took me four readings of your post just to get the gist of it.

I think what you're saying is acquire the enemy with your naked eyes, focus on him, and bring the weapon sight picture up to the enemy and kill him. This works much better than pointing your weapon around looking for the enemy over your iron sights.

Upvote 0
From first reading, I thought you were saying find the target, put sights on him, then shoot. lol, o rly? But perhaps you mean lower your weapon and look for the target first so you get a clear view of him. You could have said it in a much simpler way than that! What I always do is pull up IS and then aim down a bit so I can see better, and when I get a target I just aim back up at him.

Upvote 0
All I do is see the target in my screen, put the rifle upon it and shoot. NEVER hesitate, hesitation will kill you more often than missed shot. When you have done this like 2 years(in CoD i did it, in Ost, I still keep doing that), it comes from the backbone and there is very little margin to not succeed in long and medium distances. Careful aiming makes you a dead soldier. IMHO.

Upvote 0
Careful aiming makes you a dead soldier. IMHO.
yeah......maybe in COD :rolleyes:

Poor aiming also makes you a dead soldier, and thats not my opinion thats a fact.

If I see someone running around I try to guess where they are heading and aim my rifle at that point (windows for example) so when he does go where you think he will, he will be in your sights and BAM! The only bad thing about this is it might take longer than expected and your gun shakes, or you don't pay attention to other soldiers that might be flanking you.

Upvote 0
If you spend 20secs of careful aiming to one soldier, you end up killing 2 soldiers and bang, then you are dead. If your aiming comes from your backbone, then you end up killing 4 soldiers in 20secs and bang maybe then you are dead. I don't know if you have problems to separate real life from game, but this tactic has worked since CoD and it works in RO too. Dunno about you, but most of the time when I play, I'm either 1st or 2nd in stats.

You really don't understand my point. If you keep shooting with careful planning, you end up shooting that way the whole time you are going to spend with in this game. If you slightly start to make fast decisions and practising fast aiming which are based on "backbonefeeling" you end up killing looots and loots of enemies. This thing doesn't work when you are targeting guys who are like 300meters away. But in 1-150 meters, this tactic is unbeatable. The trick is to combine slow aiming(fast moving far away targets) with the backbone aiming(fast or dangeorous enemies in close combat). That is what makes a good rifleman.

PS. I think that Parris Island has moved to Assault rifles and are not using bolt-action rifles in gamelife when practising. Or have they?

Upvote 0
PS. I think that Parris Island has moved to Assault rifles and are not using bolt-action rifles in gamelife when practising. Or have they?

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: .........:rolleyes:

...I just don't know what to tell you....Being a good shot has nothing to do with using a bolt action or an automatic....

I don't know if you have problems to separate real life from game, but this tactic has worked since CoD and it works in RO too. Dunno about you, but most of the time when I play, I'm either 1st or 2nd in stats.

end up killing looots and loots of enemies.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We are obviously dealing with another "CS/COD" kiddie....you realize there is more to the game than KILLING KILLING KILLL KILLLLL BLOOOOOOODODODODODDD BOOM HEADSHOT!!??

this tactic is unbeatable.
All I do is see the target in my screen, put the rifle upon it and shoot.

O rly?

You really don't understand my point. If you keep shooting with careful planning, you end up shooting that way the whole time you are going to spend with in this game. If you slightly start to make fast decisions and practising fast aiming

Uhm, carefull planning and fast reactions are two different things, what makes for a deadly soldier is the ability to plan your shot and the fast reactions to execute the shot, this isn't COD where the only thing that counts is how fast you can twitch your hand. And I have played COD and I know EXACTLY how that game is, there is no thinking involved.

Dunno about you, but most of the time when I play, I'm either 1st or 2nd in stats.

Yeah I'm requoting this, but I invite you to the 5.ss server sometime, see if your supa fast manly reactions/(run n gun?) do against teamwork, planning, and precise shots. ;)

Upvote 0
Aah another "i play RO which is super realistic combat manouver game!!!". Bull****. First of all, this game is not so different from CoD when talking about infantry and rifle shooting. You aim, you fire, you hit.

No need to be idiot when we have topic "WEIRD marksmanship tips". If i say that i can succeed with this tactic, it doesn't mean that I'm a CS kiddie(after all

Upvote 0
Aah another "i play RO which is super realistic combat manouver game!!!". Bull****. First of all, this game is not so different from CoD when talking about infantry and rifle shooting. You aim, you fire, you hit.

No need to be idiot when we have topic "WEIRD marksmanship tips". If i say that i can succeed with this tactic, it doesn't mean that I'm a CS kiddie(after all

Upvote 0
If your suggestion for a marksmans tip is....
All I do is see the target in my screen, put the rifle upon it and shoot.
...You obviously arn't adding anything to the conversation.

You also failed to comprehend all of my post, but since you are "foriegn" I'll let it slide. I actually said yes, you need fast reactions in this game, but to be a complete soldier you also need to think, and on occassion take your time, you don't always have to be running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

if you're on your own on a full 32 player public server RO is nothing but a big team deathmatch in ww2 arena...

Furthermore, assaulting objectives on your own without TS communication is all about being a Rambo and fast reflexes, be it run and gun or not.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree, usually I take the initiative and give orders to those who listen. I go for objectives, hopefully with a couple teammates following me. I just have to say that not every match has to be a deathmatch, if you are willing to put a LITTLE bit of effort in, you can get teamwork out of a few people, but unfortunately most peope don't want to try, they would rather go for the kills.

Upvote 0
For long range targeting, I can see through the fog of war better on the sides of the screen than in the center, and this can help me immensely with long range shots, as I can kill people that I cant actually see in the ironsights. Perhaps the best map for this is SnowyForest/KurlandKesssel.
This is my Weird Marksmanship Tip of the Day.

ON a different note, I've seen the game dissolve into deathmatch style ALOT. Once the Axis outnumbers Allies by a 5+ person margin and are defending, its all about fragging. Nothing against you Strother, but I find many of the "SS" servers to be notorious for this and I tend to avoid them.

Upvote 0