• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon Model Issues

Trotskygrad

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2011
on top of corner ruins
M14

M14's barrel to flash hider ratio is off. Flash Hider is too long, and barrel is too short from between the gas block and the front sight. Should be a simple fix
eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwOi8vcHV1LnNoL3NsR3p5LzNkMzNjNjZlMTAuanBnIn0.e-UwSNX2eZlqclgSFhwypt54sLA

fEL1vT5.png

.eJwNxcsRwiAQANBeKIBd_pAevGgFDEHCDAkMrF4ce9d3eR_2mo1t7CAaawPY60p97nxRn7FkXnovLcdRF0_9hEgU03HmixYIZ1F5a1ErY9EZI0FqHyRiwOCVUE4GhJvQEh95vmvKEu_12f6Nmvi4Cvv-AG2dJ6E.AudUa8VQBjGeDp5QHfetl5oQnhc

M16A1

M16A1's barrel profile is too thick
WEOys3J.png

h3jFmzq.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

tumblr_nmrorzF1oo1s57vgxo6_1280.jpg

it lacks the stepping behind the flash hider and the diameter is probably 2-3mm too big.

In addition, the rear peep sight is anti-glare beveled as on the A2 peep, it should be flat like on the A1 peep (thanks exhausted)

AK and Type 56

Weird proportions. Stock looks totally messed up. Magazine is too small.

"AK-47" is a weird mishmash of AKM and AK parts. It has the ported gas tube of the AK, the stamped reciever and dust cover of the AKM, the curved and totally misshaped stock of the AK, and the slant brake and the bayonet lug of the AKM.

I'd just put a straight inline stock on it and remove the ports on the gas tube to make it a straight up AKM and change the name accordingly.
o7w7kwF.jpg

mKTzyXk.png

type56.jpg

SVD

Pistol grip and stock proportions are off. Too fat and not enough of a finger shelf.
Gos1pZu.jpg

sovdrag.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Perun58 and living
I completely agree with Trotskygrad's statements. The weapons, overall, are nice, but several faults are present. Let me insist a bit more:

-Most of the sights aren't very accurately rendered. Although the Mosin's rear notch has been narrowed compared to the one presented to us a few months ago, the rest still need a facelift. All the weapons have fictitiously wide notches. Shame.

-The "AK-47" (please change this!! The name only existed for pre-production prototypes, the actual "AK" was adopted in 1949!!) family is a hodgepodge. I would suggest renaming the category "AK-47 Assault Rifle" into "AK-type [...]", "AK Family [...]", or "Kalashnikov-type". The supposed AK pictured above, as Trotskygrad said, is a mess. The picture here in the stats page is the one used for the in-game AKM load out icon, which is strange.

Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 5.17.55 PM.jpgakm.jpg

Whoever modelled this did use the correct AKM laminate hand guards, bakelite grip, stamped receiver and dust cover. However, the AKM has a straight stock, lightened and blued carrier (it is in the white and solid in RS2), solid gas tube, simplified front sight tower and vented gas block! So many details ignored!

Also, he or she has completely misunderstood the relationship of the magazine (which has neither the right proportions, curvature or placement), to the trigger guard! The gas block and gas tube are also separate parts, but unfortunately the in-game models have them fused as one...

The AKM has recalibered sights to 1000 meters. The settings in-game only go to 800 meters, like the earlier Type 56, and completely ignores the "P" 300 meter battle position.

The Chinese Type 56-1 rifle in RS2 is also sub-par. Granted, there were milled and reverse-engineered stamped receivers, but man, look at that stock! It is not hard to even eyeball an angle, dagnabbit!

Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 5.23.58 PM.jpg
1395.jpg

-I also want to point out the new animations. Overall, they are nice, but some are rather average, as there is lots of obvious clipping, unnatural and awkward hand movement, and rather lacklustre weapon feedback. For example, the bolt release of the M16A1 should shake the weapon quite violently, and the charging of the RPD should rock the whole gun!

-The game might be in too early a stage to discuss sound, but at its current state, some sounds seem to be placeholders or outright missing. Just want to point out the rather weak and unrealistic charging and reloading sounds for some guns, but again, RS2 being beta, not much to say here.

-Final point, please please change the nomenclature! "AK-47", "TT-33", "PPSh-41", "SKS-45", and "DP-28" are all western adaptations and fabrications. The real nomenclatures should be AK, TT, PPSh, SKS and DP! Should be a quick fix!

Granted, some of these points are not necessarily visible nor useful in first-person mode, but it does show the devs apparent lack of attention to detail. A game that describes itself as having "period-correct and accurately modelled" weapons should not have any of these issues...

Upvote 0
Mob720;n2278300 said:
On the topic of weapon details, why is it that you can still repeatedly dry fire your weapon when it's empty? I guess for auto-reloaders it's not a problem but it's just something that has always bugged me a bit.

no. Any weapon can only dry fire once before the bolt has to be cycled again, unless it's a chaingun or minigun

Upvote 0
Mob720;n2278428 said:
Yes, I know that. By auto-reloaders I meant the setting that automatically reloads your weapon when you finish off a mag. When set to manual reload you can repeatedly dry fire, which is incorrect.
RO2/RS has the same thing.

I'd imagine they allow the sound to repeatedly play to better inform a player their weapon is empty, instead of just getting zero auditory feedback if they may have missed the first "click."
I'd prefer it to be accurate to the real world as well personally, but I'd imagine that's why it was never "fixed."

Upvote 0
I'll be honest; when you mentioned 2mm-3mm difference I nearly thought you were being jokingly pedantic. But I guess that now you've got your rulers out, it's a case of what has been seen cannot be unseen. Although I ask if a number of these issues posted here are related to the Icons, or the actual view model as viewed from First-Person?

At least nothing has as plumb coloured reciever!

Upvote 0
Cwivey;n2278456 said:
I'll be honest; when you mentioned 2mm-3mm difference I nearly thought you were being jokingly pedantic. But I guess that now you've got your rulers out, it's a case of what has been seen cannot be unseen. Although I ask if a number of these issues posted here are related to the Icons, or the actual view model as viewed from First-Person?

At least nothing has as plumb coloured reciever!

the bolt turns a plum color on SVTs, the receivers don't change color because they are blued.

2-3mm difference matters in barrel profile, for other things it's not so much

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Skyrilla;n2278498 said:
I understand that this is an issue mostly amongst the gun nut types. To the rest of the people it comes across as being a n a l.

I wouldn't mind accurate model fixes just for the sake of authenticity, but it doesn't bother me either way.

As far as I know the president of Tripwire said in one of the Killing Floor 2 videos - "we're gun nuts". So they will hopefully be interested.

Reactions: FR4NCH3K
Upvote 0
NorthDumpling;n2278529 said:
Well actually RS2 is being developed by AMG, not TWI,so I dunno really, only actual devs can fix it.
TWI is obviously giving them a lot of support. It seems more like a collaborative effort rather than TWI saying "AMG, make the game and all we'll do is publish it."
TWI also directly helped with the weapon audio for RS2 as confirmed by one of the devs a while ago, I wouldn't be surprised if TWI is willing to help touch up things like models while AMG devs work on more crucial systems.

Assuming these small model changes are something they in fact want to take the time to rectify(which I would agree they should if they have the time to do it).

Upvote 0