• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Warning protected area

|716ID| Hptm.Popov

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2011
WARNING PROTECTED AREA ... WARNING PROTECTED AREA ... WARNING PROTECTED AREA ... WARNING PROTECTED AREA ...

You should "spawn squad leader" and BOOM
You run , and "oh nooooooon" BOOM
You are defending and "wait wait wait ? what !" BOOM

WARNING PROTECTED AREA

This is pure madness ...

And now you are trying to run outta this fulkfjdslfkjds area ! and you can't ! you will explode ! mouaahaha

funny_david_hasselhoff_swim.gif

Last edited:
Including beta I have played this game probably over 100 hours or more .I have never ran into a protected zone.If you play for the objectives and not wander off ignoring caps this will never happen. Its pretty simple if you go out of bounds you get stopped by it.If you try to spawn camp you get stopped by it.As long as you stay close to you respected capzones either defending or attacking you will never run into a protected area.

This game requires positional awareness knowing where to be at all times.And 95% of the time unless your a mg sniper or AT gunner you should be near the cap.If you really hate having to focus on an objectives Firefight mode is for you where you can go about anywhere and camp ...and it all about kills unlike Territory.

Don't mean to sound like a a$$ but this has been discussed many times after you play a map many times you will learn where the protected zones are.Focusing on the objectives or at least close to them as they leave plenty of room to flank around them and you will never get killed this way.

Edit: The only time you will get a protected zone death in the cap.Is when you trying to cap an objective and the enemy recaps the previous zone first forcing you into a protected zone.This being very rare

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I never get killed by wandering into protected areas, it's usually when me and a few other guys are capping an objective, and then the previous one is capped, thus causing the one we're in to become protected, and then we all suddenly explode into gorey messes because we couldn't run out fast enough.

The only solution is to not get into the cap. :\

Upvote 0
Including beta I have played this game probably over 100 hours or more .I have never ran into a protected zone.If you play for the objectives and not wander off ignoring caps this will never happen. Its pretty simple if you go out of bounds you get stopped by it.If you try to spawn camp you get stopped by it.As long as you stay close to you respected capzones either defending or attacking you will never run into a protected area.

This game requires positional awareness knowing where to be at all times.And 95% of the time unless your a mg sniper or AT gunner you should be near the cap.If you really hate having to focus on an objective Firefight mode is for you where you can go about anywhere and camp ...and it all about kills unlike Territory.

Don't mean to sound like a a$$ but this has been discussed many times after you play a map many times you will learn where the protected zones are.Focusing on the objectives or at least close to them as they leave plenty of room to flank around them and you will never get killed this way.

Actually you are not correct. When you spawn on a squad leader it is not uncommon to get into an area that is protected. It happens when you are trying to defend an area in Territory. Also, if you are on defense and you are trying to take back an area, but the attackers take the next point while you are trying to take back the old point.

So, it can happen often even when you are going after objectives.

Upvote 0
Actually you are not correct. When you spawn on a squad leader it is not uncommon to get into an area that is protected. It happens when you are trying to defend an area in Territory. Also, if you are on defense and you are trying to take back an area, but the attackers take the next point while you are trying to take back the old point.

So, it can happen often even when you are going after objectives.

I only spawn in on a SL if he is near an objective so I cant say there.And yes some times while trying to take an objective and the enemy retakes another objective before you can cap.It will force you into a protected area even tho you going for the cap my only gripe about the protected zones.

These cases are rare tho and most of the time when people get killed by these zones its by not being where there suppose to be.If anything I think you need more of a warning so it gives you time to get out.Even if your way out of bonds away from the objectives ...People have to learn and I do agree forcing them to learn the hard way can be frustrating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagemandbagem
Upvote 0
The one I have the greatest trouble with is the ditch at the far left of the German initial approach positions on the Railway Station map. "Hey, why don't we all use this covered ditch instead of running down the center of the open road? I'm jumping in...and BAM!-DEAD.". At least extend the playable area to the fence further left.

I'm pleased that the time has increased to get out of Dodge, but if you put cover on the map so close to the area trafficed, people are going to want to use it. Out of sight/out of mind should be the map makers watchwords.

Upvote 0
it takes longer to die now, you can't just ignore the message and think you can get away with it.

Running into a protected area isn't really a issue now as you have time to get back out. The one that is still and issue is when the "protected area" moves to you.

I've had it happen several times now on quite a few different maps barracks included which is the last one I ever would have thought it would happen on.

Upvote 0
It happens to me every few hours of playing. Pavlo's house is a bad culprit along with barracks. A quick double cap flip on either and you can go from capping to being in a protected area in under 15 secs. By which time its far to late to do anything if your on an upper floor.

For spawning on squad leader for instance defending/attacking no mans land south side (if the allies have capture it at least once and you retake it), you can respawn on him in the basement of E which is protected. It's usually retaken points with squad leaders on the edge where this can happen. I've spawned on a sl on spartanova D west side when its axis controlled and ended up in C which is protected.

Upvote 0
can't wait for a mutator to remove this **** !

That's just it removing it would cause even more problems it serves a purpose which I agree its unforgiving at times.Without the protected area nothing would prevent people from spawn camping or running off the edge of the map glitching the game or exploiting areas.While I think we can all agree the protected zones is unfair at times.Its better than the alternative which is getting killed in the spawn over and over before you even have a chance to react.Ro1 had minefields which I wished they added to this game so think of it that way(as a mine field). It would be unrealistic to run into an invisible wall at the edge of maps or near spawns.

If they increased the warning time giving players time to get out of the protected zone it would be more forgiving.Until then just be careful spawning in on SL try not to spawn in on one far from a zone.And when capturing a zone be aware if the enemy is counter attacking a previous zone and be ready to get out.As for off the map spots venture off away from the caps/near the enemy spawn at your own risk some places your not just meant to be in.

Being careful where you spawn in(on SL) and playing closer to the intended objective can Greatly lower your risk of this kind of protected area death.Its not like this is a new thing bc2 and bf3 have the same thing(with a few sec's warning) and for good reason no one likes to be spawn camped dying before you even load in.And its not a free roaming game the map edges have limits bullets don't track off map so its to prevent exploiting .You just have to try to learn where these limits are.

People can give me -Rep all they want i'm just trying to give advice on how to avoid this common fps game mechanic.

Upvote 0
I like the idea - create a buffer zone to protect the spawn from a camping muppet who pop you as soon as you arrive. But in practice this is a feature that is just not working. If it were working I wouldnt get killed 20 times in a row by some muppet ina tank 10 yards from where I am spawning.

In reality because it doesnt work, the game would be better without it. I know soem will argue that IRL you didnt get protected areas, but you didnt get people magically appearing either. These players need protection to spawn and get to cover simply to make the game playable. But I would rather see it fixed than scrapped. Maybe a couple of things I have thought of would be better.

1. If you find yourself in a PA you should be given a grace period to retreat (something like 30 seconds) rather than 2 seconds and then POP. During this time maybe the offender can not shoot, or maybe only has a pistol, or even melee only. killing a guy just for getting overtaken by attackers is simply WRONG. It doesnt encourage defending of a point.

2. Maybe the whole idea of PA is flawed and will never work. Maybe its better to activate PA warnings if a player shoots say 3 people within 3 seconds of them spawning. this then activates 1 untill the player relocates to; for arguments sake; a different map grid.

TL;DR I know its not the most important problem in game, but its a game play killer and needs some work.

Upvote 0