• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] War Thunder

Have to say, this game is supremely annoying, but there's really no comparison to it on the market. WoWP is a joke from what I've seen. But the obvious bias towards Russia is very annoying. I do mainly US and Japan, and they don't seem to want to touch the US fighters until they've done every other faction, and the latest patch messed up the Zeros...they can barely roll and they actually suffer aileron lock in arcade mode. Many of the US planes cant be controlled in a dive (so how am I supposed to BnZ?) and in fact, the P-38 has a bomber's FM. Not even kidding; it literally has a placeholder model. In general, the high tier US fighters are just awful trash compared to their contemporaries. Early tier though, they're pretty damn good especially with their armaments, except for being difficult to control in a dive.

Granted, the navy fighters are tough to shoot down (one spitfire mk. I pilot literally spend five minutes trying to shoot me down when I was in an F4F. Rifle caliber MGs are rightfully weak.) Meanwhile, IL-2s dogfight just fine. I've actually been outturned by one when I was in a zero. Additionally, the Yer-2 bomber has the best bombload capacity in the game - better than the Lancaster and B-24 if I'm correct. If you get a group of people who all fill their plane slots with Yers, since there's about 7 variants of it, you just spawn, bomb the other team's airfield, respawn in another Yer and do it again until you win.

Stats for planes are often wrong (theres no way that a Mustang has a turn rate of 22 seconds in game, even though that's what its stats say. It can't even turn with 109s! My friend claims he got outturned by a Do-217 as well.) The game is very much geared towards dogfighters, and Britain in particular given that the spitfire can pretty much do eeeeverything efficiently. From what I've seen the only zoomers that are consistently effective are the FW D models.

Also, if you've noticed the P-40 has turned into a total piece of garbage since 1.29, uninstall the Air Resistance mod. There's some sort of bug when you have it installed - when you take it off it flies like normal.

Upvote 0
getting to about lev 5 on all nations.
shame that the 109 cant fight it's historical adversaries in the same rank level - but i guess it works out too powerful with just the stats the game uses.
But that leaves a lot of very average aircraft for them below level 5.
certainly compared to the russ aircraft live the lagg3, i-153 and in particular the utterly outrageous i-15.
I also think the 2nd lev2 brewster buffalo is pretty good, considing it was a disappointment in the war.
The japs seem a bit weak too - its a shame as i love playing with them

Unlocks can be weird thou - For example compare the level 2 bb-1 and su-2 mv-5 : the bb-1 seems better on paper, with a slightly higher reward bonus and a better climb rate, although I think in reality the service version su-2 had a better engine. So why even bother putting the Su in service when you can just use the bb-1?
Am i missing something?

Upvote 0
Thanks for replies. Negative welcome too xD

Unlocks can be weird thou - For example compare the level 2 bb-1 and su-2 mv-5 : the bb-1 seems better on paper, with a slightly higher reward bonus and a better climb rate, although I think in reality the service version su-2 had a better engine. So why even bother putting the Su in service when you can just use the bb-1?
Am i missing something?
hm... this is not clear for me too.
Silly thing with bf109f4trop, why should we pay for it separately from bf109f4, it is even not better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its jap vs russ in Historical battles now - and the japs seem to be doing better that i thought.
However a see a lot more ppl in the game queues for russians, and the majority of jap planes appear to be are hiens so i hope they take the opportunity to increase the japanese selection to attract more ppl with variety.

On it's first HB run my K6 bomber got 1-shotted by aaa and lost the wing so thats another 8300 bill - they really wanna sort that out - as the other bomber choices come at much higher levels.

Another thing that does my head in is the crew training costs - to put all but the most basic aircraft into subsequent slots, to facilitate varying selections or accommodate time repairs when you have no money, is outrageously expensive.
They really should reduce - say half - the cost to train a 2nd crew on aircraft you've purchased, after all it makes sense that the model is at least familiar with your crews if you need to give it a realistic angle.

Upvote 0
Another thing that does my head in is the crew training costs - to put all but the most basic aircraft into subsequent slots, to facilitate varying selections or accommodate time repairs when you have no money, is outrageously expensive.
They really should reduce - say half - the cost to train a 2nd crew on aircraft you've purchased, after all it makes sense that the model is at least familiar with your crews if you need to give it a realistic angle.
Agreed with you.
Pilot new training for the bf109F4trop after completed training for bf109F4 is silly.

Upvote 0
yup, crew skills are a potential game breaker for me. i've recently watched a video where some dude demonstrates how they work (because he gets a lot of questions from noobs who obviously can't read the in-game descriptions) and, sweet merciful crap, those bonuses he's receiving for his maxed out crew skills are f*cking ridiculous. it's like everyone else (free2players) has parkinson's disease. naturally, he buys them with real money. because grinding for them is damnright impossible.

if they don't do something about it, there's no doubt in my mind, this aspect of the game qualifies it into a pay2win category.

but then again, it's beta. there's still hope.

btw. 8 more minutes until the golden eagle special kickoff, part 2. :D c ya in the air.

edit: i miscalculated (daylight saving, you just made The List). add another hour to the original 8 minutes i wrote.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So today I lit up an A-20 with about 100 hits from my Corsair. I think I critically damaged him, but of course that means jack **** in game. Shooting at my front, the tailgunner managed to blow off both my elevators, I immediately dove nosefirst into the ground, and the final insult, a mother****ing -40 lion penalty for damaging the airfield!

That's the type of **** that pisses people off. That and the costs of everything. Do they not realize that they need to lower the cost of planes and such, so that its simultaneously possible to play and get lions to purchase stuff, but also leave the door open for people to spend $$ on premiums/XP conversion. The way they have it now, only the latter is possible in order to GAIN anything in the game, I don't see how they thought it was a good idea? They'll make less money in the end, and have less players, this way.

Upvote 0
yeah ive unlocked the 2 extra slots on all nations just so i can play with 5 aircraft with my mates in arcade, and level them all up a bit.
I also think it helps with repairs leaving them in crew slots, so multiple planes are at full rate while i play historical.

So its roughly pure fighter - heavy fighter - attack - L/dive bomber - bomber but of course i depends on the nation as the choices differ at different levels, and you want a consistant deck at different levels.
Generally i keep the multiple turret bombers in the same crew slot but jesus you see how long its gonna take to get additional turret crews?

When new aircraft come out i will prob find that it ****s my plans up anyway and I have to retrain in other slots - thats what i'm afraid of.
Like with the japs, trying to pre guess what's gonna be added.

None of this matters if you just play HB or FRB ofc, but imagine trying to level on this mode only - dont repair bills go up if your destroyed on HB too?

Evil game
i might reinstall il2, that was never evil

Upvote 0
dogbadger
Like with the japs, trying to pre guess what's gonna be added.
http://warthunder.ru/upload/image/TREES/jap_planes_eng.png -release tree

EvilAmericanMan
So today I lit up an A-20 with about 100 hits from my Corsair. I think I critically damaged him, but of course that means jack **** in game. Shooting at my front, the tailgunner managed to blow off both my elevators, I immediately dove nosefirst into the ground, and the final insult, a mother****ing -40 lion penalty for damaging the airfield!
Try historic battles, it much better. And Corsair was without cannons i bet.

Best. 1st April. Joke. Ever.
yeah, it is very fun, if it will be for 1 day.:p

Upvote 0
I made a vid of the last 2 games I played back during the US vs Germans HB. First is from Arcade where I shoot a Pe-2 with 4200 rounds of .50, which I'll never play again, and 2nd is HB with the P-47. I got a couple 109s, and had to run from quite a few, too.

I'll come back to the game when they update more of the US aircraft.

War Thunder - Bulletproof Pe-2 - YouTube

War Thunder - P-47D Thunderbolt - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Game ("sim" isn't the right description, I think) looks great.
I might give it a try, haven't flown an Il2 since I was part of the 61ShAP online squad.
But so far, I've only seen single-seaters...would love to fly Field Mod version again!

How's the full-real environment?
Does FR have a large or small player-base?
Restricted plane-choice for each side? (I dont want to see Mustangs fighting Jugs, for example).

I've watched some arcade-mode fights, and I really hate it when enemy-icons are used.
And the leading-icon (for where to aim if you want to lead a target) doesn't add to the fun either, imo.

other birds that have my interest, are the La5 (FN?), and the P-63 KingCobra.

Last edited:
Upvote 0