• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

View Angling in Ironsights Mode

Reise

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2006
Maine, US
So, another thing that can set RO2 apart from common run-of-the-mill shooters: Angling the screen slightly when you aim down the sights of weapons.

I think the old Call of Duty style is getting tired, and people must surely be sick of shoving guns into their mouths to aim straight down the sights by now.

I'm wondering if this would be possible without making things look odd. Some questions come to mind: Do you angle the whole scene including the weapon and everything? Or do you just angle the scene and leave the weapon centered in the screen?

TBH I'm just tired of resting what feels like my chin on the back end of most of the weapons in Ostfront and other games.

Angling the screen would actually be unrealistic because when your head tilts side to side, up to a certain angle, your eyeballs actually remain aligned horizontally. If they didn't, everyone would become very disoriented from the slightest head movement as their view tilted around constantly. Try it for yourself.

What would be realistic would be, instead of having the gun move the position of the camera, have the camera move to the position of the gun. ARMA2 actually does it like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 213
Upvote 0
Angling the screen would actually be unrealistic because when your head tilts side to side, up to a certain angle, your eyeballs actually remain aligned horizontally. If they didn't, everyone would become very disoriented from the slightest head movement as their view tilted around constantly. Try it for yourself.

What would be realistic would be, instead of having the gun move the position of the camera, have the camera move to the position of the gun. ARMA2 actually does it like this.

I can actually read this with my head tilted.

The only thing that really changes is field of view.

Upvote 0

agreed. same with the stupid head bobbing. your brain compensates for that kind of motion so you don't throw up every 5 seconds while jogging.

Upvote 0
well, you bring the gun to your sholder (gun moves, head stays still..AKA cod style), but then your head goes to teh stock (head moves, gun stays still) if youy mad the gun move 1/2 a second befoer your head started to move then it would be perfect.

GREAT suggestion, i was thinking about this a long time ago, but forgot! it would add immersion and realism...and make RO2 different!

Reactions: 213
Upvote 0
Your eyes will automatically compensate when you tilt your head, it's why you can watch TV or read while laying on your side without getting disoriented.

I think a big issue with a big feature like this is how do you handle mouse control in IS? Do you maintain the mouse control as if you weren't in IS, or do you alter the controls? (example: in IS, if you want to look to what would be your left without the head tilt, you actually have to move your mouse down and to the left)? Either way leaves a lot of issues that could confuse players' sense of direction. I'd rather keep things simple and constant, less variables always make for easier solutions.

Reactions: VariousNames
Upvote 0
to answer the post above....

remember teh lean in a lot of games (ro1 i think also) your view tilts along with the rifle.....and the mosue control is exactly the same....

perty mutch exactly liek this, the only thing that would tilt is feild of view...and not the buildings them selves. also your rifle would stay straingt up and down...as your not leaning.

normal =

|-------|
| | <-- building
| |

new system =

|--
| - |
| |

if that works...thougth it was a better idea....basicly the buidlign walls would be straight up and down....but you would not see all 4 corners, you would see that the buidling has a corner cut off it, to simulitate the tilted head!

Upvote 0
When you tilt your head the field of view changes and your height changes slightly.

Those are the only two things that should change, everything is still oriented on the same plane and there are no distortions

TBH the act of closing one of your eyes to look down the gunsights would have more of an effect on your vision than the head tilt, for a couple of reasons....one, you lose binocular vision and hence some of your depth perception. Two, the loss of an eye dramatically affects field of view and peripheral vision.

Upvote 0
To be pedantic, it's really your brain that compensates. In reality, you only have a postage stamp held at arms length area of high resolution vision, but your brain fills in the rest of your field of view with what it's previously seen, and thinks it sees.

This reminds me of one of things that irks me about tank combat in ROOST, when the tank listing on a slope, the FoV in the telescopic site is perpendicular to the ground, instead of being tilted. It actually makes it harder to aim, as rotating the turret makes the reticle area either climb or drop, instead of moving along the horizontal. I'm sure this won't be in ROHOS.

Reactions: Moyako
Upvote 0
To be pedantic, it's really your brain that compensates. In reality, you only have a postage stamp held at arms length area of high resolution vision, but your brain fills in the rest of your field of view with what it's previously seen, and thinks it sees.

This reminds me of one of things that irks me about tank combat in ROOST, when the tank listing on a slope, the FoV in the telescopic site is perpendicular to the ground, instead of being tilted. It actually makes it harder to aim, as rotating the turret makes the reticle area either climb or drop, instead of moving along the horizontal. I'm sure this won't be in ROHOS.

your saying the cross hairs i nteh sight are liek this +....and when you move left the turrent goes left and down.....and if teh + was tilted, it would be logical taht it would go left and down.....

if your saying that....i compleatly agree! always was like wtf? when the down and left happened, but its easly corrected for! (press w or d lol) but it should be fixed in ro2...at least one would think!

Reactions: Murphy
Upvote 0

I agree.

Back then playing Call of Duty, when you drive a tank you never have that feeling that you move 50 tons of steel but you really drive wireframe tank. I've read about the way game creators managed to fix this is by more camera tilting. Either I'm right or wrong, I think that is what makes you feel you move some mass.

Like if you stop the tank or any vehicle immediately camera moves a bit forward and a just a little bit down due to force, then comes slightly back to original position.

I like this topic actually :D

Upvote 0