• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Use System Driver"

Boz

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2006
Florida
What does checking and unchecking this item really do? I ask this in relation to my freeze problem. It seems that if I have this box unchecked, I seem to get random game freezes. If I check it then the game seems not to freeze. Now it sounds much better with this unchecked of course, but what gives?

I have a creative X-Fi Xtrememusic and use Windows Vista 32bit SP1. I have posted about the freeze problem below and believe this has to be sound related. (I also don't seem to get the freeze in "Safe Mode" either)

Just for information sake; I have the latest OpenAL installed, on two pc's. One uses a SB Audigy 1 and the other motherboard sound. On both pc's when i mark 'Use System driver' in RO, i get a blue screen / immediate crash.

XP SP1 on one, XP SP2 installed on the other.

No problems with sound in any other app or game btw.

Upvote 0
Well, my understanding is that with the "Use System Driver" checked, the game uses the openal files that are in the RO system folder. With it unchecked it uses the openal files stored in your Windows System32 file. The later file is the one that the Soundblaster card uses to process the sound which is why it sounds better and more immersive. At least that is what I believe.

I discovered that the game would not freeze if I used the openal file in the RO system folder ("used system driver: Checked") which is how I discovered this, however, the sound was not as good nor as immersive.

I originally thought my freeze problem was a video problem, but through various testing I ruled that out and focused on sound from that point and coming across the fix.

Last edited:
Upvote 0