• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Unreal 3.0 and RO:2

smokeythebear

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Sheppards house
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=9091

I just have a few questions that I can't wait untill next year to ask (I'm guessing thats when RO2 will be officially announced)

First of all I don't know about everyone else but all the new lighting features werent entirely exciting. The only thing I want with unreal 3.0 is dynamic/destructable enviroments, since it would complement RO's gameplay so well. Especialy in urban fighting you wouldnt run through a street, you'd blow holes in houses to connect them and advance from biulding to biulding. Not only that but the video (and other tech demos) make no mention of bullet penetration, which is so badly needed in RO right now. It's the sole reason mg42's are completely underpowered in a realistic sense. The one thing I did like is the viechles look like they where completely revamped for UT2007, so now they look as though they handle more like they should compared to how "plain' they feel right now. You can tell when you watch the videos that the mass of a car in UT2007 is seperate from the wheels, making the car more fluid as the shocks go up and down. Anyway since the devs now have thier hands on the new engine is there a possibility of destructable envioments and bullet penetration? As well is tripwire going to make full use of the much better physics in unreal 3.0? What do you want to see in a new RO as a result of the new engine?

Sorry for trying to jam so much into one post!

OMG i am blown away, with this technology you can place furniture in gront of the door to block it, set things on fire, explosions will damage buildings, ground, you could build your own sandbag defense position, wich can be sestroyed by a tank... what cant you do???

i hope shots will damage your tank visually, like blow of the fenders or even penetrate it.
break the tracks...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Penetration is allready possible. Penetration was possible with the inroduction of Unreal 1 concerning Unreal engines.

Edit: And climbing is also allready possible. It is not like the UT2K4 engine is bad. Don't expect UT2K7 to have everything included that could be usefull for realistic Mods, for that are Modders to include it themselves, but it is possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well lighting doesn't play that big role in RO. There's usually only one source of light and that is the sun (though there might be two or three or even more sunlight actors).

I'm looking forward to the impoved netcode, physics, speedtree (is it included in UE 3 or does TWI have to buy it if they want it?) and of course more advanced graphics.

Upvote 0
OMG i am blown away, with this technology you can place furniture in gront of the door to block it, set things on fire, explosions will damage buildings, ground, you could build your own sandbag defense position, wich can be sestroyed by a tank... what cant you do???

i hope shots will damage your tank visually, like blow of the fenders or even penetrate it.
break the tracks...
Yes you can do simple physics stuff over the internet.

But destroyable environments mixed with object physics combined and RO's ballistics system requires super broadband internet since the data to be sent is going to be huge. :/

And then I'm talking about 8Mbps+, maybe ~20Mbps to have an average ping under 80ms I guess.
Let's hope that is standardized by then.

And I hope somebody invents a system to only send the most important bone positions (this means ragdolls or dead bodies will be at about the same position on all computers without needing a super internet connection)

The only thing Unreal Engine 3.0 really has advantage over Unreal Engine 2.5 is having better graphics, improved netcode, better animating system and the developers now have a fresh start on new technology so they don't have to make the same problem twice.

Upvote 0
Wow. I knew the Unreal 3 engine was good, in fact the only game I knew that run it was Huxley until now, and I thought that looked great. Never knew that GOW and others run on it.

The only thing Unreal Engine 3.0 really has advantage over Unreal Engine 2.5 is having better graphics, improved netcode, better animating system and the developers now have a fresh start on new technology so they don't have to make the same problem twice.
Pfft, only, you say... It's a massive difference.

Upvote 0
Pfft, only, you say... It's a massive difference.
It is a massive difference.

But it's not the miracle everybody seems to expect, with buildings crumbling in multiplayer (this can be done easily in Practice mode and LAN though) and other stuff like that.

I even think that the new Red Orchestra might just get "hard-core" realism genre on the map where it gets known by almost every kid which knows games like Call of Duty and Medal of Honor.

But it's not like the rebirth of the planet. :D

Upvote 0
It is a massive difference.

But it's not the miracle everybody seems to expect, with buildings crumbling in multiplayer (this can be done easily in Practice mode and LAN though) and other stuff like that.

I even think that the new Red Orchestra might just get "hard-core" realism genre on the map where it gets known by almost every kid which knows games like Call of Duty and Medal of Honor.

But it's not like the rebirth of the planet. :D

Well what about a more simple building destruction system? Think of Company of Heroes. It's a strategy game, I know, but it has some really nice gfx effects. You could make certain things client side only (like bricks flying from buildings etc.) and the server would only send that "a window was blown off here" and then your computer would do the rest.

I *think* it is doable, but I'm not a coding wizard. Just throwing the idea to the people.

Upvote 0
Well what about a more simple building destruction system? Think of Company of Heroes. It's a strategy game, I know, but it has some really nice gfx effects. You could make certain things client side only (like bricks flying from buildings etc.) and the server would only send that "a window was blown off here" and then your computer would do the rest.

I *think* it is doable, but I'm not a coding wizard. Just throwing the idea to the people.
That would take a lot of scripting.

Thus making us wait longer.

I just hope the newer forms of broadband internet will catch on and the developers seek more solutions to transferring compressed physics data over internet.

Everybody can help, try to get a DSL2+ connection or similar! :D
You'll only benefit from it, unless you only have ****y providers!

Upvote 0
As long as small things are destroyed like fences etc that would stop alot of people moaning about tanks being stopped by a fence/wall/box. That should be do-able if they split the fence up into sections instead of each bit of wood being a a physical object?

Also i hope everything isn't going to be draped in shaders and graphical effects, 1/2 the time it makes a game look worse.

Upvote 0
That would take a lot of scripting.

Thus making us wait longer.

I just hope the newer forms of broadband internet will catch on and the developers seek more solutions to transferring compressed physics data over internet.

Everybody can help, try to get a DSL2+ connection or similar! :D
You'll only benefit from it, unless you only have ****y providers!

:(

My 2 Mbit line costs 50 euros/month. No faster connections for me.

Upvote 0
Fully destrucible environments the way people want them are not possible even with UE3. The best we could hope for is pre-destroyed objects like HL2 but i suppose even thats an improvement.

UE3 is not better because it has better graphics, in fact those graphics are created by Direct-x (or openGL) and UE3 just uses them as all other engines do. The reason UE3 kicks ass and has more than 50 next generation titles being developed on it is because its development tools are the best in the industry. Devs can make stuff faster and better, thats the only reason why its good, but it is a very good reason...

Upvote 0
Fully destrucible environments the way people want them are not possible even with UE3. The best we could hope for is pre-destroyed objects like HL2 but i suppose even thats an improvement.

UE3 is not better because it has better graphics, in fact those graphics are created by Direct-x (or openGL) and UE3 just uses them as all other engines do. The reason UE3 kicks ass and has more than 50 next generation titles being developed on it is because its development tools are the best in the industry. Devs can make stuff faster and better, thats the only reason why its good, but it is a very good reason...
No, DirectX/OpenGL is an application layer which is the link between the rendering engine of the game and the graphics processing unit.
It's the rendering engine in Unreal Engine 3.0 that delivers the visual interpretation of the environment you play in, or in short, the graphics.

Sure, the developing tools in the package are one of the best incl. UnrealEd, UnrealMatinee, UnrealPhAT (Ageia PhysX API), UnrealKismet, etc.

But it's also the feature a game engine has like inverse kinematics, dynamic shadowing, netcode, etc.
It's moddability, how it runs on the average computer, how it looks, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0