• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation udk animation compatibility?

barakas

Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2009
Forgive the ignorance of this question, I have no experience using the UDK. However I'm thinking of getting stuck into it in preparation for release of the RO2 SDK.

Is it possible for me to work on animations for a 'blank' skeletal frame, and then use those animations on the models that come with the RO2 SDK?

Or do animations have to be built specifically for the model its going to be used on.

Also, can 'stock' animations that come with the UDK be easily modified to work with RO2 models, or again do they have to be tied to a specific model?

What animations are you planning on making? I would just wait for release and use existing skeletons, otherwise I would imagine you would end up giving yourself a lot of extra work. If it's for ingame characters I dont see why you cant just do a unrefined animation of what you want on a standard biped and use that for reference when the game ships?

Upvote 0
Uh so we can't make custom animations, is that what you people mean? Or did I misunderstood you (I hope!)?

Can't we import RO2 skeleton to 3d app and create new animations for it, then export it back to RO2 format?

Or create a whole new rig and create animations from scratch and use those for just certain things (like non player characters / objects)

Upvote 0
Uh so we can't make custom animations, is that what you people mean? Or did I misunderstood you (I hope!)?

Can't we import RO2 skeleton to 3d app and create new animations for it, then export it back to RO2 format?

Or create a whole new rig and create animations from scratch and use those for just certain things (like non player characters / objects)

I would assume it is like this:
You can do your own rigs and use it for everything you like.
If TWI makes the player rig(s) public, you can create additional animations for those.
You can not use animations that come with the UDK to import into HoS.

Upvote 0