• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Type 100 "Improved Sights" and Improved Upgrade Selection

Positron

Sep 14, 2011
So thanks to my 8 kill points a kill, I've managed to get the Type 100 to level 25 already. Unfortunately, although the reduced recoil perk is nice, the so called "Improved Sights" are not. They have a massive hood over the sights, severely limiting field of view and the ability to quickly and easily track multiple targets while aiming. For those not aware, here is a screenshot comparison:

http://www.thyeinherjar.com/ImageDump/Type 100.jpg

Now, I don't have a problem with the hooded sights on other guns, such as the M1 Carbine. However annoying it may be, it is historically accurate and as far as I know, wasn't an alternative. What I'm asking for is an option to select specific weapon upgrades instead of being limited to upgrade tiers. I'll probably go back to using the original ironsight version, despite having more recoil, but it will be a shame if I get the gun to level 50 and the only way I can use a bayonette is to suck up the hooded sights. Honestly, this should have been in RO2 befor, but was never really an issue as all upgrades were exactly that, upgrades, and not simply alternate weapon parts.

That's exactly how it's supposed to look but also probably a bit thicker. There might be some limitations due to the engine but I'm not sure. Unrelated to this game however the iron sights for the M1 Garand in Battlefield Bad Company 2 were perfect. So perfect that they were made thick in the Vietnam expansion because it was "unbalanced"

Upvote 0
What if they just made the rear sight a thin blurry ring when you use it? Like this: [url]http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/attachments/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/9872d1153449359-sighting-cz52_ghost_rear.jpg[/URL]
It's unrealistic to blur the ring out completely, especially when the sight is not a ghost ring but aperture sight with smaller hole.

Comparison of ghost ring and smaller hole:
800px-Aperture_depth_of_field.jpg

Upvote 0
That's exactly how it's supposed to look but also probably a bit thicker. There might be some limitations due to the engine but I'm not sure. Unrelated to this game however the iron sights for the M1 Garand in Battlefield Bad Company 2 were perfect. So perfect that they were made thick in the Vietnam expansion because it was "unbalanced"
BFBC2 Garand sights were unrealistic... Check out the real thing:

5054861513_4817d2b657.jpg

Upvote 0
Yes.

The point is that the smaller the hole the easier the front sight is to accurately center in it but the more of your FOV gets covered by the rear sight.

In reality you can't hit **** with sights like those in BFBC2 Garand.
I can't tell you how high my Steyr m95 shoots because I've never seen it actually hit anything. It uses ladder sights and some archaic form of measurement. I'll gladly take ghost ring sights any day.

Upvote 0
you can't get the reduced recoil of that version of type 100 (can't remember if it's 40 or 42 or 44 or whatever) with the other ones sights. I do see some of your frustration though.

Turns out you're right. I originally assumed that all of the weapons Type 100's were 100/44's, but after inspecting the weapon a bit more the level 25 and 50 unlocks are 100/40's. They even have entirely different models. The "reduced recoil" actually means "significantly slower rate of fire". I was actually treating the Type 100/40 as if it had the higher rate of fire, which explains why I was having more trouble hitting moving targets, and also killing people at close range before they could kill me.

Anyways, I suppose I'll just stick to the default Type 100/44, as I prefer the higher rate of fire. It's a shame I'll never get a bayonette on it, but I after doing a little research, only the Type 100/40 ever had a mount for one. It would be nice if the game was a little more clear on this, as I feel most people will make the same mistake as I did and assume it is a direct upgrade. Even just changing the name of the gun from Type 100/44 to Type 100/40 would be enough to let people know that at least they are different guns.

I'd like to add I don't have a problem with the Type 100/44 being the default version. As the lower level weapon, it will be significantly more widespread than the Type 100/40, which would lend itself to being slightly more realistic, and it also allows the version with the bayonette to be an unlock.

Upvote 0
Turns out you're right. I originally assumed that all of the weapons Type 100's were 100/44's, but after inspecting the weapon a bit more the level 25 and 50 unlocks are 100/40's. They even have entirely different models. The "reduced recoil" actually means "significantly slower rate of fire". I was actually treating the Type 100/40 as if it had the higher rate of fire, which explains why I was having more trouble hitting moving targets, and also killing people at close range before they could kill me.
Believe it or not the 100/40 model actually does have reduced recoil in addition to its slower rate of fire. My proof? I checked the code.

Upvote 0