• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Turning off depth of field

Unus Offa Unus Nex

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2010
There really should be an option to turn off depth of field ingame, it is not only hurting performance the game also looks worse with it enabled.

I say this because I tried turning off Depth of Field in the ROEngine.ini file yesterday after I learned you could actually do this and it could improve performance, and sure enough it did, by up to 20 fps.

Reactions: DasFist
you kidding me? the game looks worse with it off.. not on.. The game looks beautiful with it on. When you turn it off the game loses brightness and just looks very odd. It simulates eye focus, so when you're focusing on something everything else blurs out. Sure it may take a hit on fps but I get nearly 100 fps on ultra/high settings anyway.

If you want it off just turn it off on the ini.. not that hard.

Twi doesn't have it as an option for a reason because it is a part of the immersion the more stuff you turn off the more you realize its just a game your playing and it looks crappier. With it on its just one more piece of the immersion puzzle basically.

Upvote 0
Look at this screenshot from TotalBiscuit's video.

Tl5YT.jpg

Blur, blur everywhere. Not only on the gun but literally everything in the foreground gets blurred. Only 1/6th part of the screen doesn't get blurred. It looks like ****. Not only that but it ruins situational awareness, so it's bad for gameplay as well. Thegame should never decide where the player can and cannot look. The player can do that himself.

TWI has always used post-processing effects in moderation, but this is just excessive. I have no idea why forced it on everyone. It ruins the graphics and it makes me realize why people keep saying "the graphics are bad". They're not bad - they're great actually, so why cover them up with a layer of blur?

Some people may like it, thinking blur is realistic. They are wrong of course.;) But that's not the point, and has been discussed to death already. There should be an option to turn it off.

Upvote 0

Tl5YT.jpg

Blur, blur everywhere. Not only on the gun but literally everything in the foreground gets blurred. Only 1/6th part of the screen doesn't get blurred. It looks like ****. Not only that but it ruins situational awareness, so it's bad for gameplay as well. Thegame should never decide where the player can and cannot look. The player can do that himself.

TWI has always used post-processing effects in moderation, but this is just excessive. I have no idea why forced it on everyone. It ruins the graphics and it makes me realize why people keep saying "the graphics are bad". They're not bad - they're great actually, so why cover them up with a layer of blur?

Some people may like it, thinking blur is realistic. They are wrong of course.;) But that's not the point, and has been discussed to death already. There should be an option to turn it off.

Focus on something in your room right now and tell me everything around the point of focus isn't blurred.

Upvote 0
Focus on something in your room right now and tell me everything around the point of focus isn't blurred.

*SIGH*

Not this again...

Of course I'm quite familiar with how human eyesight works.

The PLAYER should decide where he focuses on, NOT THE GAME. Depth of field effects never work. It only makes the game look uglier and gameplay more frustrating when the game all of a sudden goes "HERE, LET ME BLUR HALF THE SCREEN FOR YOU LOL."

Upvote 0

It's not being focused on, but it isn't blurred like that.

That looks like a 200mm focal length lens @ an aperture of f2 or less. The human eye is a spectacular piece of natural engineering, and far more versatile than the lenses and sensors we can currently build for cameras, which is what exaggerated DOF like this is emulating.

Upvote 0
There really should be an option to turn off depth of field ingame, it is not only hurting performance the game also looks worse with it enabled.

I say this because I tried turning off Depth of Field in the ROEngine.ini file yesterday after I learned you could actually do this and it could improve performance, and sure enough it did, by up to 20 fps.

I turned this of in .ini file - more FPS and no terrible blurring, easier gameplay.

Upvote 0
I've looked into disabling DOF before and couldn't find the setting in ROEngine, can some one give me the exact sequence and the where abouts in the file that the option is? (I have vista, Dont know how different it is from win7) I could really use the FPS boost because I dont "get nearly 100 fps on ultra/high settings"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The game looks better with it off honestly. The only time it's acceptable is when using iron sights. But since it's on all the time the game turns into a smudgey mess of blurr unless you have textures and level detail on Ultra - which most don't.

So many reviews have commented on the dated graphics and I put that down to the DOF because it completely gets rid of any texture definition.

Upvote 0

Tl5YT.jpg

I don't recall this ever happening to me. You bring up some valid points but, imo, the game does look worse with depth of field off. It adds alot to the cinematic feel and the detraction from gameplay is negligible or nonexistant for me. The problem I do have with blur is in spectator mode when every player you're following is a giant blur while the background is clear.

Reactions: I. Kant
Upvote 0
The game looks better with it off honestly. The only time it's acceptable is when using iron sights. But since it's on all the time the game turns into a smudgey mess of blurr unless you have textures and level detail on Ultra - which most don't.

So many reviews have commented on the dated graphics and I put that down to the DOF because it completely gets rid of any texture definition.

DoF only blurs with ironsights on / spectator mode.

ive made some comparsion screenshots between those two and DoF on looks always better in terms of overall graphics

Upvote 0