• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tripwire Scrap the Unlock System

Lost Cipher

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2011
Right now its for the best, just allow everyone access to everything. Leave it like it was in RO1, who gets it first. Keep the battlefield commendations, thus allowing good players get a chance to use that particular class and or load out.

Already in firefight, everyone can use any class and load out, obviously keep the restrictions in Countdown and Territory.

Keep the honor system to penalize team killers and greifers. If you want the heroes to still remain exclusive, then make it a simple If-then statement. If "Honor Level 50 (or whatever)" then "unlock".

The reason I say this is that right now is the most critical time in your games life. Fortunately PC only titles get pushed back a little bit for review. However with the state that the game is in, reviewers will not be kind. They shouldn't have to be, the game was pushed back for later release (Don't think they won't bring that up).

I understand your a small indie team, however you went for something a bit grandiose. And unfortunately it is in human nature to attack those that fail. Sites like RPS and HardOCP, may be a bit forgiving since their sites are dedicated to PC gaming. But not by much, consumers generally expect products to work day one. And in a small community like PC gaming, word of mouth can be more powerful than anything else.

And when a lot of traffic on your forums, official and steam state that the game is a mess. People might just wait for a sale. Or not buy at all.

So unlock everything, refund the extra amount of money for the DDE, give everyone the TF2 hats, etc. But focus on optimization, stability, and bug fixing. Don't listen too those who say the game is perfect, it may be for them... But a lot of people are having problems. And you don't want reviewers to have the same problems!

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:
So unlock everything, refund the extra amount of money for the DDE, give everyone the TF2 hats, etc. But focus on optimization, stability, and bug fixing. Don't listen too those who say the game is perfect, it may be for them... But a lot of people are having problems. And you don't want reviewers to have the same problems!

Just my 2 cents...

I was with you right up until here, then I burst out laughing.

In the middle of my calc class.

Damn you.

Upvote 0
I was with you right up until here, then I burst out laughing.

In the middle of my calc class.

Damn you.

What was funny? The 2 cents comment? or the refunding of extra money paid for the DDE?

If they do as I suggest, which I doubt. Then they can't justify some people paying more for nothing extra. People right now can buy the DDE in the hope of having day one unlocks of weapons. If Tripwire scraps the unlock system as they should, and focus on optimization. Then they cannot charge for something they would be giving to all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What was funny? The 2 cents comment? or the refunding of extra money paid for the DDE?

If they do as I suggest, which I doubt. Then they can't justify some people paying more for nothing extra.

>Implying that TF2 hats, KF skins, and 2 weeks of beta on top of some in-game perks (which are broken for EVERYONE, by the way, including people who bought the regular edition) is nothing extra.

Seriously, you people are the most entitled bunch of chuckleheads I've ever run across. It's been less than 24 hours and you're already demanding refunds because you didn't get a shiny new gun the INSTANT you started up RO2.

That's just hilarious to me.

Upvote 0
>Implying that TF2 hats, KF skins, and 2 weeks of beta on top of some in-game perks (which are broken for EVERYONE, by the way, including people who bought the regular edition) is nothing extra.

Seriously, you people are the most entitled bunch of chuckleheads I've ever run across. It's been less than 24 hours and you're already demanding refunds because you didn't get a shiny new gun the INSTANT you started up RO2.

You can buy the DDE right now, your not going to get a beta. And if they take my suggestions why should you pay extra for something everyone will receive?

Tripwire is know for its generosity. They should give everyone the TF2 hats, and the KF skins. Probably go over well to clam down the crowd. This launch has not been great, and reviewers will definitively take note if when they post their review their are certain issues still plaguing the title.

A $40 price tag is a bit better right now, then a $50 price tag that only gives you throwaways. Because unfortunately the unlock system, stats system, and honor system is still broken.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, get all the money back, but U want all the stuff from the first day and above all of that, U want everything work just fine and U want the devs to work 24/7 just for U... What a crap...

The game is awesome, and **** happens, just like it did on the release day. It's gonna be awesome in a few weeks. This game really worth its price.

Upvote 0
You can buy the DDE right now, your not going to get a beta. And if they take my suggestions why should you pay extra for something everyone will receive?

Tripwire is know for its generosity. They should give everyone the TF2 hats, and the KF skins. Probably go over well to clam down the crowd. This launch has not been great, and reviewers will definitively take note if when they post their review their are certain issues still plaguing the title.

No, because then those of us who DID buy the DDE for the TF hats and KF skins are going to be raged. If you want the hats and the skins, get the DDE. If you don't get the regular edition. You'll unlock all the nice little bonus weapons in two weeks of dedicated playing anyway.

Seriously, what's with you people and this sense of entitlement. I understand that they need to be doing damage control right now, but giving everyone their money back and buttering us up with stuff is NOT the way to do this. What they NEED to do is crank out patches as fast as they can fix the bugs. THAT will save the games from the reviewers, not giving everyone hats.

EDIT: And yes, I do agree that the unlock system needs to take a hike. Stat tracking is a fun bonus, but weapon unlocks are garbage.

Upvote 0

No offense but those chuckleheads are correct. If you are told you are getting gun unlocks on day 1 and do not receive them why would they not be entitled to a refund? Please explain that to me! Explain it to me with another reason beside the same old "entitled chucklehead" idea. They are told they are receiving those things for X amount of dollars. If they do not receive them then they are indeed entitled to a refund. Now one thing I can understand is receiving the unlocks a few hours late but still in the same day. Thats being a bit pushy if you were complaining about that. However once you go past day 1 and into day 2 and on they all have valid points.

As for me... I will not be asking for a refund becouse I throughly enjoy the game and I am not on such a tight budget as some others. However if I was I would certaintly ask for a refund. $10 fills up a quarter of my gas tank.

It's the truth and you know it. So stop being a fanboy and listen to the critism of players who might be leaving and putting out a bad name for a game that is already in a tight position as far as popularity. This is not COD with a huge community. This is a small community and each and every person is important. Just take a look at what happened with Medal of Honor for example.

Upvote 0

TWI may have been very generous and sold a game bellow average price, with discount for RO players and a lengthy beta (they could have done 2 days beta and you couldn't complain, except the game would have had less polish). But if on the screen where you buy the game it has some specific "you pay us YY and we give you XX on day 1", and you fail to get XX, no matter what it is, then people have a right to complain in one way or another. Part of the package was day 1 unlocks and people didn't get them. I couldn't care less, and I wouldn't be surprised if TW get it working today so its still technically day 1, but its just the way it is. If you pay for something and don't get it (even if you got other stuff), its still not right.

Upvote 0
No, because then those of us who DID buy the DDE for the TF hats and KF skins are going to be raged. If you want the hats and the skins, get the DDE. If you don't get the regular edition. You'll unlock all the nice little bonus weapons in two weeks of dedicated playing anyway.

Seriously, what's with you people and this sense of entitlement. I understand that they need to be doing damage control right now, but giving everyone their money back and buttering us up with stuff is NOT the way to do this. What they NEED to do is crank out patches as fast as they can fix the bugs. THAT will save the games from the reviewers, not giving everyone hats.

EDIT: And yes, I do agree that the unlock system needs to take a hike. Stat tracking is a fun bonus, but weapon unlocks are garbage.

Anyone who bought the DDE version would be refunded the appropriate amount. I think its $10. If they took my suggestion, its not entitlement. Its an idea to keep the game viable, to act as a note of good faith to the community.

Because if their are still issues when sites begin reviewing this title, if it score badly. Sales will be adversely affected.

They can keep my extra $10, I don't personally care. Many others will, but right now this game needs optimization, stability, and bug fixes more than "I want my guns". But because they entered into a contract with players who purchased early access to content. They have to prioritize fixing that. Or run the risk of viable reasons for refunds through steam.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh, I'm with you that they have a right to complain, but everyone demanding that they get their money back for the DDE because one part of that package isn't working, especially when the unlocks system is broken across the board, so NOBODY has unlocks, is just laughable. They gave us plenty of other content for the DDE to justify the $10 or whatever it was, and as soon as they have the game proper fixed we'll have the rest of our content ready to go.

Upvote 0
Don't really see how the unlock system is the problem with all the bugs in the game ? so why scrap it :confused:

*Side Note: Personally I have never been a fan of recent shooters going in the direction of appeasing add affected individuals with "You unlock something!", "Great Job Promotion, You got an unlock!", "Sweet Unlock for you!", etc...

On a more serious tone, because unfortunately the unlock system, along with stats and honor is broken. And the problem lies within the fact that people can spend $50, $10 extra for immediate access to certain weapons. Weapons that generally would need to be unlocked.

Now technically that's not an issue until 24 hours after initial release (that literally being day one). So if they send out a patch before 12 PM est, their probably good. If it fixes day one access to the bonus content (the weapons).

However if say three days from now, you can still buy the $50 DDE version and you still do not get immediate access to "shiny cool weapons you paid for", that could be considered a breach of contract or license agreement. Which could be grounds for steam to issue a refund, after the initial day if its yet to be fixed. Unfortunately when it comes to purchasing agreements its not "most if not all", its "all or nothing".

Now the issue for me, is that generally PC gamers are a bit more inclined to do research. Say vist a few review sites and maybe even check out the games forums. If they see people complaining about not receiving what they paid for, not a good impression. Or if reviewers mention buying one release over the other because of issues. People will just walk away.

Upvote 0