• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tripwire - PLEASE fix Easy Anti Cheat authentication for Proton (Linux) users!

TheUrbanisedZombie

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 10, 2023
Tripwire, as a Steam Deck owner, and on behalf of other Linux users who rely on Proton: for the love of god, please implement / fix your game's EAC authentication issues!

Yes, I understand the Deck probably isn't the best platform for something like RS, but it's the only device I have and I often hook it up to the USB-C dock I have for work for some desktop play.

Honestly, I loved this game back in the days when I had a Windows device - and even now, in offline / training RS2 runs smooth as butter on the Deck at a solid 40-60FPS and that was just with the default settings! As far as I'm aware, it's as simple as a few (relatively small) SDK config changes

• Easy Anti-Cheat​

Proton supports Easy Anti-Cheat without requiring any recompilation, but it does require you to manually enable support for your build by following these steps in order:
    1. Go into the SDK Configuration settings menu on the EAC partner site and enable Linux as a client platform.
    2. Go into the Client Module Releases menu on the EAC partner site, choose the Unix platform, and activate a module. If you cannot find the Linux module in the status dashboards, please contact EAC support.
    3. Once that's done, download the EAC SDK and find the Linux library (\Client\Assets\Plugins\x86_64\libeasyanticheat.so) for the SDK version integrated with your game, rename it to easyanticheat_x64.so, and add it to your depot next to the Windows library (EasyAntiCheat_x64.dll).
    4. Lastly, on the Steamworks site, publish a new build of your game containing the new depot contents. (You don't have to make any changes to the game executable, just include the new files in the depot contents.)

If this is not the case, by all means please correct me.

We don't have any current plans to develop RS2 for Steam Deck. The community team will raise the request internally.

Edited for an update:
After asking about this, I found out that we already worked with EAC for several months trying to get it to work with Proton for the Steam Deck with no success. The instructions posted on that Steam Partner page does not work with RS2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We don't have any current plans to develop RS2 for Steam Deck. The community team will raise the request internally.

Edited for an update:
After asking about this, I found out that we already worked with EAC for several months trying to get it to work with Proton for the Steam Deck with no success. The instructions posted on that Steam Partner page does not work with RS2.

Fair enough - at least it's been attempted. It's just a damn shame that it doesn't go.

Isn't really deving for the Steam Deck anyway - it's just a Zen2 APU configured in a handheld package, running Linux. Proton support in general would be nice.

Upvote 0
Fair enough - at least it's been attempted. It's just a damn shame that it doesn't go.

Isn't really deving for the Steam Deck anyway - it's just a Zen2 APU configured in a handheld package, running Linux. Proton support in general would be nice.
I meant dev work around RS2 to make it work with Steam Deck/ Proton.

Upvote 0